The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars 40th Anniversary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars 40th Anniversary Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Star Wars 40th Anniversary Reply with quote

In May it'll be 40 years since the release of ANH, or we called it back then, "Star Wars". Are you doing anything special to celebrate?

In my family, we are coordinating a Star Wars Week with the release of RO as an early 40th anniversary celebration. Starting Saturday April 1st, we will begin watching the episodic films in numerical order, one per day. On April 4th we will watch Rogue One back-to-back with ANH, as The Force wills it. I think we'll do SW family activities and discussions too.

We were already planning on watching RO/ANH on RO's release day, but after my wife starting asking some basic plot questions answered by RotS which she just hasn't seen in a long time, I got the idea for us to rewatch the prequel trilogy before RO/ANH and Episodes 5-7 after. We are abstaining from watching any Star Wars films until April 1st. (We've seen a lot of TCW and Rebels lately.)

Maybe we'll watch the original version of SW on May 25th, just for fun. My wife and son have never seen it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your household must be so awesome.

I should bring up a 40th Anniversary Star Wars movie marathon idea to my SWD6 gaming group. I'll have to insist that it include Rogue One for sure. Too bad that none of my family or other friends would be interested in this. Crying or Very sad Sad

Ah, well, if the Unclean want no part of a Star Wars marathon, I won't force the issue.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

Thanks. If you refer to having a wife that likes Star Wars and a son that loves it like I do, then yeah, it is pretty awesome. My wife is more of a Middle Earth fan and Harry Potter fan than Star Wars fan, but I like those too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Wars 40th Anniversary Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Maybe we'll watch the original version of SW on May 25th, just for fun. My wife and son have never seen it.

Are the original theatrical versions available on anything except VHS anymore? I have my trilogy, and a VHS player too, but all of it is in storage.

It would be nice to have the originals on disc somehow. I'm one of those folks who has a real problem with the alteration of Han Solo's character vis-à-vis the Greedo Shoots First scene.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

Thanks. If you refer to having a wife that likes Star Wars and a son that loves it like I do, then yeah, it is pretty awesome. My wife is more of a Middle Earth fan and Harry Potter fan than Star Wars fan, but I like those too.

Although I read The Hobbit back in the day, I couldn't deal with the Doorstoppers that were the Lord of the Rings books. (And The Simarillion? Oy, I made three separate attempts on that and still couldn't get through it. Sad Not that that book is an easy read by any stretch of the imagination...) But the Peter Jackson movies made up the deficiency. 8)

I'm meh on Harry Potter and Doctor Who, although I can appreciate why others might like them.

And being a fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek, I had no idea that there was any animosity between Jedi Knights and Trekkers. (Apparently, a few memes on the Internet say different. Who knew?) Mr. Green
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Star Wars 40th Anniversary Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Whill wrote:

Are the original theatrical versions available on anything except VHS anymore? I have my trilogy, and a VHS player too, but all of it is in storage.

It would be nice to have the originals on disc somehow. I'm one of those folks who has a real problem with the alteration of Han Solo's character vis-à-vis the Greedo Shoots First scene.

You can still get them, but you'll pay out the nose for them:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Episode-IV-Limited/dp/B000FQJAIW/

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Empire-Strikes-Limited/dp/B000FQJAJG/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1488629355&sr=1-1&keywords=empire+strikes+back+limited+edition

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Episode-VI-Limited/dp/B000FQVX78/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1488629379&sr=1-1&keywords=return+of+the+jedi+limited+edition
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I somewhat jest that I came out the same year as Star Wars and the Monster Manual... this is my 40th, as well, though in September.

I don't have anything in particular planned, though I might sit down with the boy (who is 2) and is his sister (who is due in 23 days) and watch ANH on the 5th, since I'll have that day off, and their mom (who is not into Star Wars) will likely want the day off at that point.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

Although I read The Hobbit back in the day, I couldn't deal with the Doorstoppers that were the Lord of the Rings books. (And The Simarillion? Oy, I made three separate attempts on that and still couldn't get through it. Sad Not that that book is an easy read by any stretch of the imagination...) But the Peter Jackson movies made up the deficiency. 8)

I read The Hobbit before that Jackson film trilogy, but even that more kiddie book was hard to get through. Tolkien is a creative genius but his writing style leaves a lot to be desired. My wife says the LotR book trilogy were not easy to get through so I'm going to pass. The movie adaptations of these four books are awesome though. Over that past few months my wife and I rewatched the extended version of all 6 films. Neither one of us have any interest in reading The Simarillion.

Sutehp wrote:
I'm meh on Harry Potter and Doctor Who, although I can appreciate why others might like them.

I'm sure I have never read Harry Potter and Doctor Who in the same sentence until now. I can't imagine these being similar in any way, but I have almost no experience with Doctor Who. I saw some of a Tom Baker episode when I was kid and thought it is was silly back then. In 2015 I caught part of an episode of the current incarnation, and I still have no interest whatsoever. I have a lot of friends that tell me Doctor Who is great and I should give it a chance, but I don't need another franchise!

It's amazing how good Harry Potter is considering that the main theme is death. The Harry Potter books only get better as they go along, each one better than the one before it. The final book in the series (Deathly Hallows) is a veritable masterpiece of western civilization. The movies are up and down in quality. If you consider the last two movies in the original series (which split up the last book) to be one long movie, then that would be my favorite. Next would be the third film (Prisoner of Azkaban).

Sutehp wrote:
And being a fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek, I had no idea that there was any animosity between Jedi Knights and Trekkers. (Apparently, a few memes on the Internet say different. Who knew?) Mr. Green

It is absolutely imperative that you watch Fanboys. "No one calls Han Solo a b!tch!"
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Wars 40th Anniversary Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Whill wrote:

I completely wore out the 80s original release VHS tapes by the time the trilogy was rereleased in 1995. Then I bought the Special Edition tapes in 1997. I had both VHS sets until I bought the originals on DVD, so now I only have the Special Editions on VHS. But I actually still have VCRs hooked up to both TVs (not that I would ever want to watch the Special Editions again).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_home_video_releases#Star_Wars_Trilogy_-_Unaltered

The original versions of the classic trilogy were released on DVD in 2006 and 2008 as bonus discs with the 2004 DVD versions of the films. I have the two 2008 trilogy packs. The DVD of the original ANH doesn't even have "Episode IV" in the opening crawl, exactly as it was originally released in the theater. As Chesire pointed out, they are expensive now, but I have little sympathy for people bemoaning the absence of the original versions. Anyone who would be interested in the original versions was an adult 06-08 so could have and should have bought them then. But odds are that Disney will release the original versions on DVD again because there (inexplicably) still is a demand.

The original Star Wars does have a nostalgic value, but watching it just for Han shot first is losing all those much needed effects improvement, most significantly the Battle of Yavin. Those shots of barely moving X-Wings floating in space were replaced and it much improved the battle. Luke's reunion with Biggs on Yavin IV makes his death more dramatic for the final trench run. There are so many improvements but Greedo shooting is one single thing that if you sneeze you'll literally miss it. I agree that not showing the cantina blaster shots is best for someone's first viewing of ANH because it adds more drama to Han later leaving the Rebels and then returning at the last second to save Luke. But if you've already seen the movie before and know Han comes back, then watch an altered version and just blink your eyes to miss the Greedo shot. It's really that simple.

For my son's first viewing of ANH, we watched the blu-ray version but I paused the film right before the blasts, he looked away, I skipped forward over that second, and we resumed watching it. He was surprised when Han came back at the end. Then after the movie we had our PG moment and talked about Han shooting first, and the alteration. So on his first viewing he got all the beneficial updates that improved the movie while Han shot first, and now we just watch the blu-ray version unedited. His film rankings are overall different than mine except that ANH is his fave film and the Battle of Yavin is his favorite part of the movie. (Yes, he's a chip off the ol' block in some ways.) I'm glad he fell in love with the updated Battle of Yavin, but maybe when he watches the original version now he will appreciate the improvements more.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that many of the improvements were necessary, particularly the Yavin stuff as you mentioned and the effects. I just think George stepped over the line with the alteration of Han Solo's basic character. Expanding Mos Eisley could have been done without the slapstick crap in the foreground too. Wink

I'm also really on the fence about the scene in docking bay 94 with Jabba. The first time, when Han actually steps on him, it made no sense to me. I'm like, dude, this Hutt is a crime lord, and a whimsical one too. If GL was being true to Jabba's character he wouldn't have Han stepping on him and getting away with it, 200,000+ credits owed or not...

This is less related to our discussion of the older versions, but I thought of it anyway. The newer editions are still not color balanced very well. It's particularly evident in the scene aboard the Millennium Falcon in ANH where Luke is screwing around with the remote, and his lightsaber is basically white. I mean, we have the technology, why not get it done right the first time? Embarassed

Oh man, I just went to the Amazon links someone posted above. $50 is a lot for a DVD that's just going to get another release here pretty quick. Plus, I have teh interwebs. I'm 100% positive I could create my own copies after finding the disc images somewhere.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I just added another thing: On May the 4th, we're going to be watching Rogue One and/or ANH at the library.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill, speaking of The Simarillion, I just recently reread on TvTropes in the Hell Is That Noise section something very interesting:

Quote:
The Nazgûl screeching. It's so horrible that in universe it causes people to just fall where they are and scream while covering their ears. Created by recording and blending numerous sounds, including co-producer Fran Walsh screaming. She had a throat infection at the time. Fans joked that Jackson got her to make that sound by telling her he was going to do a film of The Silmarillion next.

You're right about Harry Potter and Doctor Who being in the same sentence as unusual/weird. But it makes sense after a fashion: they're two famous and popular franchises that I just couldn't get into, not only because I couldn't get interested in them but also because I don't need another franchise either! Shocked

Ok, Fanboys. I think I heard about this, or at least I think I remember a still shot picture from it of a crowd of Star Wars fans and Star Trek fans trying to beat the crap out of each other (or as much as as a bunch of Non-Action Guy nerds can beat the crap out of each other).
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill, speaking of The Simarillion, I just recently reread on TvTropes in the Hell Is That Noise section something very interesting... The Nazgûl screeching.

That sound is a great effect. Creepy.

Sutehp wrote:
Ok, Fanboys. I think I heard about this, or at least I think I remember a still shot picture from it of a crowd of Star Wars fans and Star Trek fans trying to beat the crap out of each other (or as much as as a bunch of Non-Action Guy nerds can beat the crap out of each other).

Fanboys is a road trip comedy set in 1998 where a group of Star Wars fans try to break into Skywalker Ranch because one of them has terminal cancer, so he can watch the rough cut of TPM before he dies. It has cameos by Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams and Ray Parks playing characters they encounter along the way, and William Shatner as himself. And it's got peyote-Ewoks. The filmmakers are from Ohio, and I was actually lucky enough to go to a special theatrical premiere showing of it here in Columbus with full-scale remote control astromech droids, the 501st with many cosplayers, and the director and writers for a Q&A after the movie. I'm not a huge comedy fan but it is definitely the best movie of the road trip genre I've seen. It's pretty funny. Watch it, you must.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
I'm also really on the fence about the scene in docking bay 94 with Jabba. The first time, when Han actually steps on him, it made no sense to me. I'm like, dude, this Hutt is a crime lord, and a whimsical one too. If GL was being true to Jabba's character he wouldn't have Han stepping on him and getting away with it, 200,000+ credits owed or not...

I'm glad you mentioned that. After the initial time in the 97 Special Edition, this scene was completely redone in the 2004 DVD version. The original CG Jabba was rendered with what amounts to Nintendo 64 graphics, and in the DVD version Jabba was replaced with the CG model that matches the TPM Jabba so it looks a lot better. Han's step on Jabba's tail is still there, but now Jabba gets visibly pissed and clenches his fist as if he is about to punch Han, but right then Han begins to talk about how Jabba is going to profit so he relaxes. I love both characters, and this version totally works for me. Han is a cool bad@ss smuggler (one of the best Jabba has ever had) who can get away with stepping on Jabba's tail because all Jabba cares about are the credits. Jabba then makes a final threat to Solo, and Han blows it off with a joke about Jabba.

Error wrote:
This is less related to our discussion of the older versions, but I thought of it anyway. The newer editions are still not color balanced very well. It's particularly evident in the scene aboard the Millennium Falcon in ANH where Luke is screwing around with the remote, and his lightsaber is basically white. I mean, we have the technology

You're preaching to the choir. I'm pretty much an anti-purist when it comes to the classic films. I have a long laundry list of things Lucas left unfixed with his last revision (the 2011 blu-ray versions), including the inconsistent color of the Skywalker lightsaber. He color corrected some shots, and not others. Another one like that is Artoo's color in space shots. The blue was restored in some shots, while it remains black on others. But these deficiencies are still only improved with each revision, so the blu-ray version is still the closest these things comes to being completely fixed.

MrNexx wrote:
Oh, and I just added another thing: On May the 4th, we're going to be watching Rogue One and/or ANH at the library.

We're doing the RO/ANH double feature on April 4th, so we'll probably watch RO again for May the 4th. And then the original SW on May 25th.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have watched the “Team Negative One” version of Star Wars several times in the last few months. It is gorgeous. It is a true work of art.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: