The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

First time running a 1E adventure: Tatooine Manhunt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> First time running a 1E adventure: Tatooine Manhunt Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:
In the Classic Adventures introduction for the 2e "Tatooine Manhunt", it states "The adventure in this book is designed for four to six beginning characters."

Is that the fan made Classic Adventures, or the bundle of 1E adventures that WEG put out, upgrading them to 2E?

The fan-made Classic Adventures is a repackaging of the 1e game. As we both mentioned "2e", Classic Adventures: Volume Three is what I was referring to. However to be complete, the fan-made Classic Adventures Adventure Book just says "two to six players" for their version of TM.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I just think it's a lot to handle for a GM new to the game and newbie players. The adventure can take off in a lot of different directions--so the GM has to be ready to explore what's not in the adventure. And, there are tons of bad guys and NPCs for the players to interact and do combat with.

It's a BIG adventure.

I wouldn't have picked it for my first at bat

Perhaps you're right. With about a dozen WEG SW adventures total under my belt before my first time running TM, I wasn't exactly a new GM for the game. But then again, my first dozen adventures before that were all homebrewed (with no published example for inspiration except "Rebel Breakout"). They were all successful at dealing with any unexpected left turns by the players so maybe it just depends on the caliber of the GM. However I've ran TM six times total over the years and I've never had any player group deviate much from the railroad track, so maybe I'm just lucky.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Zulgyan wrote:
What about the cut scenes to the Star Destroyer Relentless? I'm used to D&D where the "camera" never leaves the party. How do this scenes not really known by the characters work in practice? I do see the added tension of knowing as players what the bad guys are up to, but what about roleplaying the characters with information they do not have? Maybe it will be just a case of "having a bad feeling about this..."

I usually don't use those cut scenes, but you can. It depends on your narration style.

The point of cutaway scenes is to help players feel like they are in a movie and to intensify the drama of the story. Yes, they do provide metaknowledge the PCs don't necessarily know, and if you are uncomfortable with that then you can skip them.

Just playing the game includes a certain amount of metaknowledge. Everyone knows all PC wound statuses, for example. I'm probably in a minority among GMs in that I embrace metaknowledge to an extent. Of course players generally should not act on metaknowledge they get from cutaway scenes or elsewhere, but if a player can provide me a reasonable explanation of how the character could possible know the information of justify the PC action with in-universe character knowledge, I'll at least consider allowing it. Sometimes I even plan adventures counting on player metaknowledge to inspire player motivations or as a red herring.

I don't feel TM's cutaways have any real impact on PC actions. The players know a star destroyer is on the way, but they are already motivated to rescue Talon as soon as possible because it is a race against other competing parties on Tatooine they do know about. The Empire being on the way en force just heightens the drama a bit more.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon May 22, 2017 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't updated my play report on this yet, because in a few hours of playing, we've only just arrived on Tatooine, and the player is getting all of that "I'm in a world I can affect, so I must kill all combatants!" out of his system.

However, as far as difficulty goes, the solo bounty hunter, with his manservant droid has been making short work of all combat scenarios thus far. Although, he hasn't hit any of the better laid out ambushes or whatnot, so we'll have to see.

I ended up making the deceased Agent Dana, actually his sister's deep cover ID for Alliance Intelligence. Which was perfect, because his sister's name was very close. So, after realizing that his sister was a rebel killed by the Empire, he's decided to finish her final assignment in her memory, or possibly kill the rebel commander for putting her in a situation that ended in her death.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to gently nudge him into fighting with the Rebellion, although he seems pretty resistant thus far.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I'm hoping that I'll be able to gently nudge him into fighting with the Rebellion, although he seems pretty resistant thus far.
Showing rather than telling the player how bad the Empire often works. Play up Imperial troops as brutal, thugs and their officers as petty bullies or sadistic villains. Show them abusing sympathetic NPCs. Time after time have Imperials order the PC to wait in line while they scan his ID, check his weapon and vehicle permits, or scrutinize his scandocs. Have Imperial troopers routinely stop and frisk the PC with the excuse that they are "checking for Rebel scum." Combat oriented players often find ordinary bureaucracy annoying and everyone hates bullies.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Showing rather than telling the player how bad the Empire often works. Play up Imperial troops as brutal, thugs and their officers as petty bullies or sadistic villains. Show them abusing sympathetic NPCs. Time after time have Imperials order the PC to wait in line while they scan his ID, check his weapon and vehicle permits, or scrutinize his scandocs. Have Imperial troopers routinely stop and frisk the PC with the excuse that they are "checking for Rebel scum." Combat oriented players often find ordinary bureaucracy annoying and everyone hates bullies.

These are great suggestions for small nudges! Thanks, Bren! Good to have you back on the forum. I still use your rules for Dueling Sabers for my lightsaber fights.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
These are great suggestions for small nudges! Thanks, Bren! Good to have you back on the forum. I still use your rules for Dueling Sabers for my lightsaber fights.
Glad you liked the suggestions. Before I went on hiatus I was toying around a lot with lightsaber rules and bouncing ideas around with another member (atgxtg). I'm not sure what you mean by "Dueling Sabers." I'm guessing you mean a version of variant rules that matches skill vs skill with the higher score consulting a table like the following to see what effect they have where:

1-5 = Force back,
6-10 = Knock off balance
11-15 = Hit
16+ = Stunt

However honesty compels me to say that variant is not something I invented. One version of it can be found on page 51 of Gamemaster's Guide ebook here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwS75vvAnmTKZWVNakw2ZVEtUnc/view

1 - Player's Handbook
2 - Gamemaster's Guide
3 - Adventure Book
4 - Rebel Field Guide
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall you making a couple of minor adjustments to it, which is what compelled me to credit you when making a reference document for it. However, it was so long ago, my memory is a little hazy.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I seem to recall you making a couple of minor adjustments to it, which is what compelled me to credit you when making a reference document for it. However, it was so long ago, my memory is a little hazy.
I did come up with a variant with variable damage instead of stunt/tricks. But the credit should go to Peter Schweighofer for his D6 System Dueling Blades Combat Variant. (Took me a while to find the attribution.)
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more comments on your game, Zulgyan?
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will. I am just buried in work....
Voltron64
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, relating to this adventure, I came up with a somewhat more dignified background for our favorite Boba Fett knockoff, Jodo Kast, that meshes rather well with the NuCanon.

Specifically, he used be one of the Imperial Super Commandos before going into the private sector after that whole operation went FUBAR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: