The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jedi Knights
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Jedi Knights Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Still, a Lightsaber skill of around 5D is helpful (lower than this has trouble hitting).

You aren't lying, brother! The first Jedi I ever ran started with 4D Lightsaber. That SUCKED! I was waving that thing all over the place, making paper dolls out of everyone's clothing but doing no real damage. At least I didn't lose any limbs... Shocked
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The military considers a soldier to have the minimum qualification with a weapon when he can hit his target at the effective range of the weapon half the time. For a lightsaber, that would be a skill of 6D.
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still agree that a realistic die code should be used...A GM discretion if you will. Whatever works for your game. TOTJ was written before the prequels...even GL used the word apprentice instead of Padawan...so there you go. Toss it out the window and make your own rules...

For me:

Master 10D & up C., D., & A. Lightsaber 10D Lightsabler Repair 10D, Command, Value, Cultures, Tactics, Scholar: Jedi Lore, Bureaucracy, Alien Species, Languages, Planetary Systems, Streetwise, Survival, Willpower, Beast Riding, Persuasion, Investigation, hide, Search, Sneak, First Aid, Security, and Computer Prg/Rpr all with a minimum 7D

Knight 5D-9D+2 C., D., & A. Lightsaber 5D-9D+2 Lightsabler Repair 5D-9D+2, Command, Value, Cultures, Tactics, Scholar: Jedi Lore, Bureaucracy, Alien Species, Languages, Planetary Systems, Streetwise, Survival, Willpower, Beast Riding, Persuasion, Investigation, hide, Search, Sneak, First Aid, Security, and Computer Prg/Rpr all with a minimum 4D

Everything else is Padawan. It takes more than just simply force knowledge to be a Master or even a Knight. You have to be well-rounded.
Darius
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedi rankings should reflect achievements. i have a single jedi player in my campaign. so to qualify as a jedi knight he needs to be able to construct his own lightsaber. however he also needs all three force skills to construct the lightsaber. he didnt worry about all this until he lost his lightsaber of course.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argamoth wrote:
I'd say it depends on role playing the most. A PC must prove that he is wise and brave enough to be a Knight or a Master.

This is all too true as well. The Role Playing should greatly effect the rank and view of the other Jedi upon a character. If the Jedi is always seeking knowledge, and shows marked bravery, then he may achieve a higher rank with lower force skills. While a Jedi who is consistantly brash, reckless, foolish, and self serving, not only courts the dark side, but will probably be seen as an apprentice regardless of force skills.

As an Example:
Young Drevon Ularius started my campaign as an Aprentice, barely able to lift stones and wield the dangerous lightsaber (force skills of about 2D and lightsaber of 4D). He has grown much stronger in the force, despite his long seperation from his master (currently Control 4D, Sense 3D+1, Alter 3D+1, Lightsaber 6D, 8 Force Points). However, he has been reckless, and has earned a few DSP over the games. Because of these, he is not only not seen as a Jedi at this time, but his training is ended unless he can atone. Worse, he is considered an outcast by the Jedi at the moment, and has been warned against using his powers...
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a talk with a co-worker that relates here. Luke skywalker was not considered a Jedi until after he met Darth Vader. Do you think he ment a Jedi Master or Jedi Knight? Personally I think it ment Master. Also The whole building a light saber thing came up too. Since there is only one place in the whole galaxy where the gems in the light sabers come from I would say that it makes it a little difficult.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vartax wrote:
I had a talk with a co-worker that relates here. Luke skywalker was not considered a Jedi until after he met Darth Vader. Do you think he ment a Jedi Master or Jedi Knight? Personally I think it ment Master. Also The whole building a light saber thing came up too. Since there is only one place in the whole galaxy where the gems in the light sabers come from I would say that it makes it a little difficult.

First, I believe Yoda meant Knight level. Up until this point he'd never referred to as a Jedi anything (other than apprentice, perhaps.) You can't get to Master level without hitting Knight first.

Also, during the Clone Wars the Jedi started mass-producing lightsabers as quick, on-hand replacements for weapons lost in the midst of battle. The process, which could normally take up to a month to complete, was whittled down to a day. In addition, the Jedi devised methods of actually creating gems to be used in lightsabers; Obi Wan had a furnace for just that purpose in his home on Tatooine; Luke used it to create the green gem for his lightsaber between ESB and ROTJ (See "Tales of the Empire" by Steve Perry.) The gem construction still took about a month, I believe, but the actual construction of the lightsaber, once all the components are assembled, can be done in a day.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to stats from the books as of the battle of hoth has 9d control, 7d sense, and 6d alter. As of the battle of of Endor he had 10d control, 8d sense, and 7d alter. (from Star Wars Triology source book Special Edition) Granted I think I may start using the cadinces from Fragments from the Rim as a tool to train jedis. I re-read them today, and it was really cool!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I especially loved the candle one, as it has that old medevil feel...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I particularly like that one. Since I love sword work so much, I'm real big on anything that would improve one's lightsaber skills- especially if one could get good enough to run through the whole exercise simply on lightsaber skill alone!

I also like the one where the Jedi pulls every last air molecule out of an open container, then only allows pure oxygen back in. GREAT exercise to work on fine TK control.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Jedi Knights Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
Stule wrote:
What (in D6) qualifies one as a Jedi Knight and a Jedi Master...Any idea's?

My best guess: Lightsaber (DEX), Jedi Lore (KNO), Lightsaber Technology (TEC), Control, Sense, and Alter.

Generally a character in the Old Republic would be given the trials for knighthood when all of these equaled 5D. A Knight could be considered a master when all of these skills equaled 7D; and considered for the council when all of these skills equaled 9D.
This is simple and makes perfect sense to me. I'll probably use this standard in my games.
Revan
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one question to ask, in DE Sourcebook is Luke already a master?
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that he was at least worthy of the council and that would make him a master. Even if He did turn for a little while.
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree that Luke Skywalker would ever be allowed or selected onto the Jedi Council. Turning to the Dark Side like he did would completely remove him from the selection process. If he argued, it would just show that he was more unworthy. If he attoned, becoming free from any taint of Dark Side, then maybe he could be selected, having proved that he is truly free of corruption.

E

Plus I think the movies portray Skywalker men as really really whiny.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ejacobs wrote:
I disagree that Luke Skywalker would ever be allowed or selected onto the Jedi Council. Turning to the Dark Side like he did would completely remove him from the selection process. If he argued, it would just show that he was more unworthy. If he attoned, becoming free from any taint of Dark Side, then maybe he could be selected, having proved that he is truly free of corruption.

E

Plus I think the movies portray Skywalker men as really really whiny.

I'll answer this in reverse. Yes, the Skywalker men did seem to be very whiny, which may have been a nod to a proclivity toward the dark side.

HOWEVER... Luke wouldn't necessarily have to be completely free of any and all taint to be on the Council. Mace Windu is a perfect example. He had to have had at least one DSP; he created a lightsaber form that a Jedi can only use if they HAVE at least one DSP... so he was obviously not completely free of taint himself, and he was basically second under Yoda.

As to where I got that information, it's listed in the PDF of Lightsaber Forms, under the Personal Styles section. Some Jedi went further than just learning the known styles; they worked to make them their own. This is what is reflected in Mace Windu's style, as well as a couple others that are listed there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: