The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Using X-Wing Miniatures Game in Star Wars D6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Using X-Wing Miniatures Game in Star Wars D6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Using X-Wing Miniatures Game in Star Wars D6 Reply with quote

I've been having some thoughts about using X-Wing Miniatures in Star Wars D6:

Place the minis in your battlefield. Use the stats on your Star Wars D6 ships as normal except for piloting. For piloting manoeuvres use the relevant dial as supplied with the X-Wing game. Move the ships using the movement templates provided.

Green Manoeuvres count as free actions - zero difficulty.
Straight Manoeuvres for 3, 4 & 5 manoeuvres have a difficulty of 3+, 6+ and 9+
Non-green soft banking manoeuvres add +3 to difficulty rolls.
Non-green hard banking manoeuvres add +6 to difficulty rolls.
Red manoeuvres add +10 to difficulty rolls.
Add in difficulties for any obstacles as usual.

This idea is fairly off-the-cuff so suggestions welcomed from the community. The main thing I wanted to achieve was giving pilots more decisions to make in combat situations. At the moment it is a bit of a case of "I fly fast at the TIE fighter" and not much else, especially if you are flying a freighter where your teammates are on the gunnery chairs. It should be far more thrilling piloting a YT-1300 than it is. I don't claim giving players dials to decide their moves will recreate the thrill there would be from piloting a spaceship but it might make things a little more interesting for them. Thoughts?
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to find a more cinematic way to do space combat and while I was thinking of something more 'descriptive only' I REALLY like this. It still makes use of all the usual rules but makes it much more exciting than plodding about on a hex grid like we do currently, I'll give this a go!

Nice work!

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Tossk, glad you like it! I'm going to try this out with my players tonight so I'll report back in due course to let you know how it went!
The Bissler
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested out the rules - they worked fine. The difficulties are a little on the easy side but at the same time this was piloting in open space; obstacles might prove to up the difficulty somewhat and hopefully make it more of a challenge. If anyone else tries this out, please let me know how they got on!
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted a similar thread-starter.... and only then thought that I should have review more of the House Rules board, since it's a faster-moving one than many of the other boards.

Anyway, I think I came to many of the same ideas that you did, though I used more words to do it.

You can see that thread here.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Using X-Wing Miniatures Game in Star Wars D6 Reply with quote

The Bissler wrote:
I've been having some thoughts about using X-Wing Miniatures in Star Wars D6:

Place the minis in your battlefield. Use the stats on your Star Wars D6 ships as normal except for piloting. For piloting manoeuvres use the relevant dial as supplied with the X-Wing game. Move the ships using the movement templates provided.

Green Manoeuvres count as free actions - zero difficulty.
Straight Manoeuvres for 3, 4 & 5 manoeuvres have a difficulty of 3+, 6+ and 9+
Non-green soft banking manoeuvres add +3 to difficulty rolls.
Non-green hard banking manoeuvres add +6 to difficulty rolls.
Red manoeuvres add +10 to difficulty rolls.
Add in difficulties for any obstacles as usual.

This idea is fairly off-the-cuff so suggestions welcomed from the community. The main thing I wanted to achieve was giving pilots more decisions to make in combat situations. At the moment it is a bit of a case of "I fly fast at the TIE fighter" and not much else, especially if you are flying a freighter where your teammates are on the gunnery chairs. It should be far more thrilling piloting a YT-1300 than it is. I don't claim giving players dials to decide their moves will recreate the thrill there would be from piloting a spaceship but it might make things a little more interesting for them. Thoughts?

That maneuvering sounds decent enough, but what of when you get to combat? Would they be limited to 1 shot? 1 base +1 turret/missile/torp?
If the ship goes boom, is it like with regular, everyone dies?
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the X-Wing game, yes, the crew dies, but given this is a hybrid, I'd give the players a chance to eject/reach an escape pod.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: