The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Zulgyan's Newbie SW 1E Questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Zulgyan's Newbie SW 1E Questions Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Both Firefly and Serenity do have roleplaying game versions.

FIREFLY

SERENITY

I'd try with them. Even parents with newborns need a break. Maybe you can set something up with their Firefly/Serenity group--say for four hours once a month, on a Saturday.

Face to face games are always superior to online games, imo.

Oh, I agree. Face to face is much better.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I recommend you play somewhere where there are no non-players around, like your wife (if she doesn't play). People feel silly, if they haven't played or have never played, playing in front of others who are not playing.

It’s a good rule even with experienced roleplayers. I’ve never liked having people present who aren’t playing; it really spoils the immersion.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I recommend you play somewhere where there are no non-players around, like your wife (if she doesn't play). People feel silly, if they haven't played or have never played, playing in front of others who are not playing.

It’s a good rule even with experienced roleplayers. I’ve never liked having people present who aren’t playing; it really spoils the immersion.

Not just that, but the interruptions can really ruin things..
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Not just that, but the interruptions can really ruin things..

Absolutely. I always make sure that the TV is off, if it can be seen. And I look down on people doing things on their phones or iPads during a game. Leaves those at home or in your pocket. Focus on the game, instead.
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next session is starting in a few hours! Any tips for speeding up large battles? I am terrified about the battle against 20 sandpeople!
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zulgyan wrote:
My next session is starting in a few hours! Any tips for speeding up large battles? I am terrified about the battle against 20 sandpeople!

Like I said before, just break up the First Segment into mini-battles. Concern yourself with mini-groups. Group those together that can effect each other: Usually this means those who are firing blasters at each other.

Most likely, you will have one group per PC. Take one PC and the enemies that are firing at him, and resolve that. Then, take the next PC, and resolve that. And, so on.

If a character is not be fired at, and cannot have his actions hampered or changed by any other character, then just describe his action and move on.

If you do it this way, then you've only got a few characters to deal with at a time.

All the action happens simultaneously, so it doesn't matter what order you play out the groupings.

BIG BATTLE PLAY

1. Describe what the PCs see--just what they see. You don't have to declare actions for the NPCs. Just give them enough information so that the players can make a declaration for their PCs.

2. Go to each player and ask him what he wants to do. (Declaration.)

3. Play out the first segment in groups. Group 1 is the first character and those Tuskens he can effect, and those firing at him. Group 2 is the second character, who he's firing at, and who is firing at him. Group 3 is the third character...and so on.

4. Play out the second segment just like the first, and so on.

ALTERNATIVE

I suggest the above. But, there is an alternative. I never have liked this way of playing, but it does make things easier.

Play one side at a time. Play all the PCs together. Then, play the NPCs together.

The PCs all get their first actions. Then, the NPCs react.

I don't like this because I think it allows for too much coordination (on both sides), which is not realistic.

But, it can make things simple to just play one side and then the other.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COMBINED ACTIONS

@Zulgyan

Here's something that may help you, too. It's the Combined Action rule, and it was added to 1E in the Rules Upgrade.

1E STAR WARS RULES UPGRADE

The Rule Upgrade version is pretty simple. You just add +1 pip for die being using to help.

For example, if three Tusken Raiders are firing at a single PC, and each Raider has Blaster Carbine 3D+1, then you can make one roll for all three NPCs firing at the PC.

You will roll 5D+1 for the shot.

That's 3D+1 for the main attacker (use the highest skill in a group), then add +1 pip for every "D" used to combine with that skill. In this case, we've got two more Tuskens combining first. That's two NPCs using 3D+1 skill. So, we get +6 pips, which is +2D, as a bonus to the main attacker.

3D +1 + 2D = 5D+1.

20 TUSKEN RAIDERS

You said that you have 20 Tuskens. And, in a previous post, you introduced 6 player characters.

If, out on the dunes, you have all 6 PCs face off with 20 Tuskens, then you can have 3 Tuskens face off with 4 PCs and have 4 Tuskens face each of the remaining 2 PCs.

This is strictly a simple encounter for example purposes.

You've got three choices, here.

1. PLAY IN ACTION GROUPS: You can break them down into groups, as I suggested (this is my best suggestion--the way I would run it). At most, you will have 1 PC facing 4 Tuskens in a group. That's not too much to manage. And, once the PC pops a Tusken, that Tusken will lose his action for the round (if using 1E damage table), making the segment even easier to run with one less character able to act.

2. PLAY COMPLETE SIDES: You can play sides. Allow the players to choose if they want to go first or last. Then, play all PCs together. Then play all Tuskens together. Or, play Tuskens first, then play all PCs, if that is the player's wish.

3. USE COMBINED ACTIONS: Break the Segment into Action Groups, as I suggest in #1, but instead of the Tusken's acting independently, all them all to combine fire. If you have 4 Tuskens, each with 3D+1 Blaster Carbine skill, facing off against a single PC, then roll one attack for all four Tuskens giving a bonus for combined fire. In this case, that combine fire attack would be 6D+1.

EVOLUTION OF THE COMBINED ACTION RULE

The Combine Action Rule first came to 1E in the Rule Upgrade, a free 4 page documents (linked above) that WEG gave out with all of their Star Wars game materials.

When the Rules Companion came out for 1E, the Combined Action Rule was expanded to included limitations and penalties, time and coordination requirements, and notes for grouped stormtrooper attacks.

When 2E came out, the idea of Combined Actions was given its own major section in a chapter. The rule was re-worked, and the Command skill was now used when Combined Actions were used. The rule became a lot more crunchy.
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is extremely helpful, thanks a lot!!
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zulgyan wrote:
This is extremely helpful, thanks a lot!!

Play Report!

Play Report!

Play Report!
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have it, I promise! As I manage to get it out; I've been very busy at my business lately.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zulgyan wrote:
You will have it, I promise! As I manage to get it out; I've been very busy at my business lately.

I'm particularly interested in how you handle the horde of Tusken Raiders!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zulgyan wrote:

Invest in a 'box-o-dice. Get one of those clear fishing tackle boxes, with lots of slots (that go all the way up to the lid). If you have 20 enemies, each with say 5d to hit, put 5d (inc a wild) in each slot. Shake the box up then put it down and just read each box off.. As pc's kill enemies (or take them out), just read less and less boxes..
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If you have 20 enemies, each with say 5d to hit, put 5d (inc a wild) in each slot.

Just a note: He's playing 1E! No Wild Die! Shocked
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a second session I am still finding myself quite lost with 1E's initiative system. I find it very hard to run being so used at how it works in D&D. I don't think it's a good system, it has many problems, specially in large battles. I will open a new thread later, just to comment on that and see if I can find any solutions (either with the rules or with house-rules).
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zulgyan wrote:
After a second session I am still finding myself quite lost with 1E's initiative system. I find it very hard to run being so used at how it works in D&D. I don't think it's a good system, it has many problems, specially in large battles. I will open a new thread later, just to comment on that and see if I can find any solutions (either with the rules or with house-rules).

I love 1E initiative system.

Can you give me an example of where you had a problem with it?

OTOH, if you want to use Initiative, then do it. As I said before, the 2E Initiative System is to simply roll PER. The character with the highest roll goes first on every segment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: