The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Nature of Hyperspace
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> The Nature of Hyperspace Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
As such, if an object's mass shadow (gravitic signature) is small enough, a ship passing "through" it (or being passed through) in the other dimension will be shielded from the gravitic effects by its own acceleration compensators.
Thoughts?

I concur.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this ties in with and strengthens my theory on how the Holdo Ram actually works without being universe-breaking. You can't just throw a hyperspace equipped lifepod at something like the Death Star, because the Death Star's acceleration compensators would barely notice the mass shadow of something so small. The only way to make it work would be to use an object of sufficient size that its mass shadow overcomes the compensation ability of the target, and ships of that size are exceedingly rare. Add to that the difficulty of plotting an accurate course (gravity fields of sufficient strength can throw a ship off course), and it's a lot easier to understand why the Holdo Maneuver isn't a commonly used tactic.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, random thought as I try to piece together my Hyperspace project...

The description of hyperspace is somewhat vague as to whether objects in hyperspace move faster or if the distance between equivalent points is closer. I'm no physics major, but is it possible that it's somehow both at once? That the tachyonic nature of hyperspace, curvature of space-time, etc, combines the two?

The main reason I'm asking is because I'm considering making gravity have a greater effect in hyperspace (the "objects closer together" option), which would help explain the functioning of the hyperdrive cut-out. Specifically, the cut-out has to be able to detect a gravity field at extremely long real-space ranges in order to react in time to prevent a collision. But if that range carried over into real-space, gravity-based sensors would be by far the most effective and longest-ranged sensor type.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: