The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

[FFG] WEG SW:The RPG 30th Anniversary Edition!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> [FFG] WEG SW:The RPG 30th Anniversary Edition! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, wait, the use of hours is meant to portray what appears in the films? How did they arrive at that conclusion -- that it was hours, rather than days? I'm curious as to the justification for it.

To me, it actually makes more sense to have it be days. The throwaway line about "They could be on the other side of the galaxy by now!" always struck me as hyperbole, not as a literal statement. Like, you're in a cop show, a guy does a runner out the back, you try to chase him but lose him, and say "Nuts. He could be anywhere by now..." You don't literally mean it, just that the guy got away and you have no idea where he might be heading, even if you track where he was headed when you lost him.

Other than that, I'm not sure I see the films as showing clear evidence one way or the other. I took the films to be condensing time for dramatic purpose. Which, I expect, most GMs would do anyway, just by saying something like "You're in hyperspace for a few more days until you arrive at the station located on the edge of the Forax system."
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
So, wait, the use of hours is meant to portray what appears in the films? How did they arrive at that conclusion -- that it was hours, rather than days? I'm curious as to the justification for it.

To be honest, I read an explanation one time, and it made a lot of sense. The problem is, I don't remember the argument points.

If you watch ANH, there's a cut, so it could be days between Tatooine and Alderaan. But, the way the scene plays, it's much more likely that it is only hours between the two spots.

And, remember that length of time in hyperspace depends on how far you go out of your way to avoid obstacles. There's a good scene in the first X-Wing book where a pilot adjusts the course spit out by the navicomp, making the trips around gravity wells tighter.

Therefore, you and I both could be starting at Alderaan, going to Tatooine, and I could get there much faster than you if you used a different route with more obstacles. It's akin to me using the freeway and you driving to the same point using only the backroads.

Quote:
To me, it actually makes more sense to have it be days. The throwaway line about "They could be on the other side of the galaxy by now!"

Although there's nothing definitive, all of the movies, especially the prequels and the newer films, seem to support shorter hyperspace times. When Obi-Wan zooms out from Coruscant to Geonosis, I don't get the impression that he's sleeping and eating a lot of meals in his acceleration couch.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Not to split Wookiee hairs, but an erratum is an unintentional error. Throughout the 1e core book, every single reference to the gazetteer's duration numbers was in days. And in the 1988 Campaign Pack, there was a reference to the first film's hyperspace voyage from Tatooine to Alderaan taking 7 days, so it wasn't even just one book.

In the text? Do you have a page number?

I'm just curious because it always came across to be as a mistake from day one.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never agreed with that day=hour erata either.. FIlms often make trips seem faster than they ever could be..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:
And in the 1988 Campaign Pack, there was a reference to the first film's hyperspace voyage from Tatooine to Alderaan taking 7 days, so it wasn't even just one book.

In the text? Do you have a page number?

Yes, in the text.

Campaign Pack p. 11
Classic Campaigns p. 22

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:
Not to split Wookiee hairs, but an erratum is an unintentional error. Throughout the 1e core book, every single reference to the gazetteer's duration numbers was in days.

I'm just curious because it always came across to be as a mistake from day one.

You must unlearn what you have learned. I'm from original Star Wars generation who played the 1e game from the beginning when there were no other editions or movies beyond the classic trilogy. If WEG said it took days, we believed them. In retrospect, yeah it seems off.

It wasn't a little a slip up here or there where a couple times the author intended to type hours and typed days by accident. I might believe it was a mistake if there were contradictory references to both days and hours, but there aren't. Every single instance throughout the entire book said days. It was a conscious intentional design choice at the time to make hyperspace journeys take days and days.

And a simple mistake probably would have been caught and corrected in the '88 Rules Upgrade inserts, but it wasn't. It was 2 years before WEG officially updated it with the Rules Companion.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Cheshire, for pointing me to this post. Sorry for starting a new one earlier - I guess I didn't spend enough time looking. If any of the web managers wants to delete my post in the "Official Rules" section, please do - looks like someone at least locked it.

And in the small chance that no one has yet posted this Smile , here's a link to Pablo Hidalgo talking about the release of the 30th Anniversary edition (go to about 47 minute into the video):

https://youtu.be/8GIZEy6U-P8?t=2812
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:
Consistency in stats would be a whole other pip dream, because even when the WEG SW game was being published there was an absolute lack of stat consistency. Even in my pipe dream of SW D6 coming back, I dare not dream as much as you!

I never noticed that in all my years playing D6 SW. What's the worst offense, in your opinion?

I don't know if there is a single "worst offense". This something I began noticing in the 80s and it has only gotten more obvious over time from reading and playing the game. The game line products were written by literally dozens of authors and the combination of their work is not going to be as consistent as any single GM is for his game. It long ago became SOP to just restat official stats as needed. I am not alone in this observation and most players of the game I've talked to who own most of the product line shares the same sentiment. It has been discussed many times over the years. I did not record a list of "offenses" and I have no interest in presenting a "case" for any pointless argument. But here, Bren gave a good example in a 2011 post below:

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=117541#117541

If you don't see any issue with published stats and using them as-is works for your game them, then that's great. But please be advised that house-ruling the game and restatting officially published stats is an everyday normal aspect of what we do here. We share and discuss, and there is absolutely no obligation for everyone to agree. Use what you like, tinker further with it, or disregard it. Do whatever works for your own game.

And BTW, if you want to respond to that above post or anything else discussed in that thread, please do so in that thread. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: [FFG] WEG SW:The RPG 30th Anniversary Edition! Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
And in the small chance that no one has yet posted this Smile , here's a link to Pablo Hidalgo talking about the release of the 30th Anniversary edition (go to about 47 minute into the video):

Cool! Thanks for sharing that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Red 331 wrote:

Indeed, very cool of you to share that, Red.

I just wish the sound quality was better because I had to turn my speakers ALL the way up to even be able to hear Pablo Hidalgo, and even then, he mumbled so much that I couldn't understand half of what he was saying. Crying or Very sad

But I got the gist of "new reprint of old-style WEG main rules and Sourcebook" so there's that.

Is it confirmed that these new books are reprints of 1st Edition? If so, I wonder why they chose to reprint the 1st Ed instead of 2nd Ed R&E. I'm still not certain of which edition is "better." But considering WEG's notorious reputation for stats inconsistencies, I dunno that 1st Ed or 2nd R&E makes a difference.

Besides, I trust this forum far more than a years-defunct game company for stuff like that. Mr. Green
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: [FFG] WEG SW:The RPG 30th Anniversary Edition! Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
But considering WEG's notorious reputation for stats inconsistencies, I dunno that 1st Ed or 2nd R&E makes a difference.

Besides, I trust this forum far more than a years-defunct game company for stuff like that. Mr. Green

The box set is a republication of the original two WEG Star Wars RPG books when there were only two. The stat inconsistencies only begin to be a significant aspect of the game with a greater sample size (with a greater number of authors, and over a greater period of time and edition changes). The inconsistencies of this reprint alone will be virtually non-existent.

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
Red 331 wrote:

I just wish the sound quality was better because I had to turn my speakers ALL the way up to even be able to hear Pablo Hidalgo, and even then, he mumbled so much that I couldn't understand half of what he was saying. Crying or Very sad

But I got the gist of "new reprint of old-style WEG main rules and Sourcebook" so there's that.

Yeah, I had to crank it up and listen to it a few times to get it all.

Sutehp wrote:
Is it confirmed that these new books are reprints of 1st Edition?

It is a recreation. It will be on higher quality paper than the original books but there is very little revision... "Even the books' use of black-and-white, blue ink, and full color sections have been recreated, along with its use of still photos and concept art, some of which have been updated for this new 30th Anniversary Edition. Finally, the books come with a foreword by Pablo Hidalgo."

Sutehp wrote:
If so, I wonder why they chose to reprint the 1st Ed instead of 2nd Ed R&E. I'm still not certain of which edition is "better."

Why? Because it is the 30th anniversary of the first edition (and 40th anniversary of Star Wars in film). It's the 21st anniversary of R&E so this isn't a monumental year for that. And besides, 1e was groundbreaking. It won awards back in the day. The 1e game is what started it all, and there would be no 2e or R&E or any other Star Wars RPGs without the WEG 1e game. If they celebrated any other editions before the original, I'd be p!ssed! And reprinting this now doesn't mean they can't eventually reprint R&E in the future.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
Red 331 wrote:

My pleasure, Whill and Sutehp. I agree about the poor sound quality - I also had to turn it way up, and it was still difficult to hear. Maybe someone else posted a better audio version.

Based on the official FFG announcements, it does appear this will be 1st Edition, as almost all of the original text will be retained. I'll be interested to see the little new "Easter Eggs" that they introduce as changes.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
Red 331 wrote:

By the way, Pablo mentioned that he would be on a Gen Con panel that Saturday discussing the history of the Star Wars RPGs. I haven't been able to find that panel on YouTube. Anyone else?
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
By the way, Pablo mentioned that he would be on a Gen Con panel that Saturday discussing the history of the Star Wars RPGs. I haven't been able to find that panel on YouTube. Anyone else?

I looked for that too. No such luck.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Red 331 wrote:

I looked for that too. No such luck.

Here's some links to info on it:
https://www.sterlinghershey.com/gencon-2017-30-years-of-star-wars-roleplaying
https://www.gencon.com/events/112485

But no video that I've seen yet.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some interesting info from Sterling Hershey:
https://www.sterlinghershey.com/blog/2017/8/23/star-wars-wednesday-gen-con-50

"The new version is not a straight copy of the original, it is a recreation. This was due to necessity - the original was done in 1980s technology and mostly unavailable. They are trying to be as true to the original as possible. FFG worked with the late Stewart Wieck, who owned the current incarnation of WEG, and just recently passed away."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: