The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

[FFG] WEG SW:The RPG 30th Anniversary Edition!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> [FFG] WEG SW:The RPG 30th Anniversary Edition! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KPeterson
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't resist. I preordered from FFG yesterday.

Between this Anniversary edition, and FFG"s upcoming SW wargame, Legion, my wallet is going to take a beating over the months to come.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The notion that Luke didn't have some kind of additional training in between ANH and TESB is a reach for me.
The novel Heir to the Jedi by Kevin Hearne takes place after ANH and before ESB. I thought Hearn did a good job showing Luke discovering Telekinesis on his own and then practicing it. I thought the encouragement from Nakari Kelen, who wasn't a Force user, was a nice touch.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree that sometimes a person just discovers powers on his own. Whether this is a natural growth in the Force Users ability, or is the will of the Force expressing itself, is unknown.

But, I tend to think that the Force has a unseen hand in shaping destiny.

The people of the Star Wars universe don't seem to believe in a god or gods. Their version of intelligent design must be the Force, for those who believe in it.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still checking out the Sourcebook, from time to time. It truly is an amazing piece of work. I'm reading this book, seeing its quality, and it has me comparing it to other sourcebooks for other RPGs. This is one of the best! The QUALITY oozes from it.

It's all the details...all the Star Wars love that was put into the writing. I can tell that the original authors of this game were true fans. They weren't just working at a job. They were contributing to a passion.

I've just read about the X-Wing, and I love how they describe how the Alliance started using the fighters. I always thought that the X-Wing was the cream of the crop, but the book surprised me in describing it as no longer leading edge. It's a damn good fighter, but not the best ship in space. The new TIE Interceptors are 25% faster. So, the ship is starting to age. It's not obsolete, yet. It's just an example of an excellent working fighter.

I like how the description relates why the Empire will probably not start using the X-Wing--how the Alliance is not sure, despite all their efforts, that the Imperial Navy doesn't have the details needed in order to construct the fighter.

And, the Alliance struggles with the ship. They've got to create parts custom. The Alliance has so few X-Wings, too, that they are constantly "in the air" so to speak. They are grounded only for refueling and repairs.

A GM can even easily read between the lines and describe X-Wings as ships that are not assigned to any specific individual in many cases. Two squadrons share one set of ships. While one squadron is down, the other is off doing their mission, using the same X-Wings.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
A GM can even easily read between the lines and describe X-Wings as ships that are not assigned to any specific individual in many cases. Two squadrons share one set of ships. While one squadron is down, the other is off doing their mission, using the same X-Wings.
Having more pilots than planes is something that also happens/has happened in the real world.

One nice aspect about having a dedicated ship for a PC pilot is that it increases the incentive to make the effort to customize their ship.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite insane shipping, I broke down and ordered this.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: [FFG] WEG SW:The RPG 30th Anniversary Edition! Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Despite insane shipping, I broke down and ordered this.

Right. The $13.46 shipping fee reminded me that I am fortunate enough to have an FLGS only a couple miles away, so I put in my order with them.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sourcebook says to use 8D skill when operating systems on a Star Destroyer (Astrogation, Starship Gunnery, and Starship Piloting).
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my casual but complete cover to cover read of the Sourcebook, I've come to the section on bulk freighters. A few thoughts strike me...

One: The Eravana, Han Solo's new ship shown in TFA, is the epitome of a bulk freighter described in the pages of this SW Sourcebook, some 40 years ago.

Two: Most bulk freighter crews (independents) scrap by, just like the tramp freights like the Falcon, barely making a living. Those on salary, working for the big shipping concerns, make a decent wage. Their major cost is fuel, and this surprises me, since the WEG D6 places so little emphasis on fuel. In fact, the topic was taken out of the Tramp Freighter Galaxy Guide between the first and second editions of the game.

Three: It says that many young people (and, I supposed, not so young people without means) cannot afford to travel between the stars. The cost of passage is too high. So, what they do is sign on for working passage on bulk freighters, working for room, board, and transport. No being paid at all.

I was thinking. This would be a great way to start a new campaign--with the PCs, all down on their luck, working passage on a bulk freighter until the adventure begins.

The idea of passage cost does show up in ANH, of course, but besides that (and Ben and Luke were desperate), I never got the feeling that it was that hard to travel between worlds in the SW universe.

Then, again, the story in the movies never really focused on the "middle class" or the "lower class". Maybe it would cost Owen Lars to go to another world--more credits than he could put together.

Four: As much as I know about the SW universe, I feel like reading through the Sourcebook is giving me not only a stronger background for the D6 game, but a much grander appreciation for the SW universe as a whole. It's all the details that are explained--little things that I would normally not think about.

It's worth the read, even if you have no intention on playing, but are just a SW fan.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Then, again, the story in the movies never really focused on the "middle class" or the "lower class".
Don't Anakin and Padme slip off Coruscant traveling in disguise on what looks like 3rd class steerage passage? (I think it is just before they go romping on Naboo. So it's probably in AotC.)
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Then, again, the story in the movies never really focused on the "middle class" or the "lower class".
Don't Anakin and Padme slip off Coruscant traveling in disguise on what looks like 3rd class steerage passage? (I think it is just before they go romping on Naboo. So it's probably in AotC.)

Correct. To avoid attention (and another assassination attempt), they were to travel to Naboo as "refugees". It isn't explicit in the film, but they are presumably loyalist refugees from worlds that joined the separatist movement. It makes sense that Naboo would open its borders to refugees.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: [FFG] WEG SW:The RPG 30th Anniversary Edition! Reply with quote

A couple weeks ago, the status of this set was updated to at the printer. A couple weeks ago, I asked FFG for a release estimate, and they told they are still on target for 'by the the end of the year' but I'm skeptical.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m waiting to order, for now. Of course I have one copy of each already, but, I would buy as many as seven more of just the rulebook, if I could, so I could have enough copies for my players. But I don’t need any more of the sourcebook.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the seven and sell six of the sourcebooks on ebay to subsidize the purchase?
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have to. A lot of risk and work there that I would rather avoid though. Not to mention a huge chunk of change upfront.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: