The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ship Location Targetting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Ship Location Targetting Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preferred method is the 1/3 approach: +1 to Damage for every 3 points the dice roll is over the To Hit Difficulty. Combine that with Force Points and Wild Dice and it does a decent job of rewarding both good and lucky shots.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
My preferred method is the 1/3 approach: +1 to Damage for every 3 points the dice roll is over the To Hit Difficulty. Combine that with Force Points and Wild Dice and it does a decent job of rewarding both good and lucky shots.
It works, but doesn't address what sort of damage to give called shots nor is there any downside for the shooter. Which is why I use two methods.

With the dice allocation the character/player must choose whether to try for a headshot (for example) that will do more damage, but which has more chance to miss than if they just aim for the body and hope to get lucky when they hit.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For character scale combat, I do a combination of the 1/3 method that CRM has suggested, and I used the called shot/hit location table from REUP. It's added the deadliness to the game that was missing.

I had a character last session who quick-drew his blaster pistol and did a triple headshot to 3 CompForce troopers who were at point blank range. Headshots give a flat +12 to the damage roll, making them quite deadly on their own. If you add in the +1/3 damage/to hit, it makes for very deadly combat.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What difficulty do you use for the head shot?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Range difficulty +7 at a -1D penalty on top of MAPs. So effectively +10 difficulty.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to use a single rule wherever possible, so I folded the Called Shots into my scale system. A general body part (arm, head, leg, etc.) is one Scale step below character, so it is -2D to Hit, but also +2D to Damage.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I prefer to use a single rule wherever possible, so I folded the Called Shots into my scale system. A general body part (arm, head, leg, etc.) is one Scale step below character, so it is -2D to Hit, but also +2D to Damage.
OK. I didn't remember that. And sadly, I'm likely to forget again. Just remembering my house rules is enough of a chore for my aging brain.

Allowing +1/3 damage for exceeding the target number and allowing +2D damage for a +2D increase in difficulty to hit is too much extra damage for my comfort level. I don't want Jango Fett destroying AT-ATs or Repulsor tanks with his blaster pistol.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
OK. I didn't remember that. And sadly, I'm likely to forget again. Just remembering my house rules is enough of a chore for my aging brain.

I hadn't added it to the main post yet, but I posted it here.

I tend to lose track myself.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Allowing +1/3 damage for exceeding the target number and allowing +2D damage for a +2D increase in difficulty to hit is too much extra damage for my comfort level. I don't want Jango Fett destroying AT-ATs or Repulsor tanks with his blaster pistol.

I'm less concerned about that under my scale system since AT-ATs and Repulsortanks are +8D over Character-Scale.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
It works, but doesn't address what sort of damage to give called shots nor is there any downside for the shooter. Which is why I use two methods.

With the dice allocation the character/player must choose whether to try for a headshot (for example) that will do more damage, but which has more chance to miss than if they just aim for the body and hope to get lucky when they hit.

One option is to kind of take a page out of White wolf's old system.. Every 1 point over on the firearms/archery shot you scored over, on the to hit, added one to damage.. every 3 over added one for melee, and 5 over for brawl..
Though admittedly with their system the likelyhood of getting 5+ extra points of damage this way was very unlikely.. So make it to where you can't gain more "bonus points" than the # of Dice of the attack.. So a heavy pistol (or standard rifle) which does 5d would get 5d+5 at most..

Raven Redstar wrote:

I had a character last session who quick-drew his blaster pistol and did a triple headshot to 3 CompForce troopers who were at point blank range. Headshots give a flat +12 to the damage roll, making them quite deadly on their own. If you add in the +1/3 damage/to hit, it makes for very deadly combat.

Did he get off all 3 shots before the troopers got of any?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did he get off all 3 shots before the troopers got of any?

No, he lost initiative. They moved and fired before he got to go.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I've been considering about combining fire...

Historically, massed attacks couldn't be combined for damage, although multiple hits could drive the total damage up. Whether for artillery barrages, air strikes, or massed infantry fire, the best result achieved was getting enough hits in that something vital took damage.

So what I'm thinking is no longer allowing a Combined Fire bonus to be applied to Damage rolls, only to To Hit rolls. However, this ties in with the 3/1 damage option from RoE, so that for every 3 points by which the shooter beats the To Hit Difficulty, damage goes up +1. This would also apply to my Auto-Fire rules, but would not count toward fire-linked weaponry.

Thoughts?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But isn't that still in essence 'allowing combined fire to add to damage', just in a round about way?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But isn't that still in essence 'allowing combined fire to add to damage', just in a round about way?

If by which you mean "still allowed, but reduced in effectiveness by 2/3," then yes. In the case of both this and the inverted rule I came up with for artillery blast radii, accuracy is key in increasing damage.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

If by which you mean "still allowed, but reduced in effectiveness by 2/3," then yes.
It's a bit more complicated. If you have to split dice between accuracy and damage you may increase damage but miss on accuracy. If you only have to boost accuracy and that automatically gives you a bonus of 1/3 to damage...well there is no downside. Which is why I dislike this method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: