The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Pit Remodel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Pit Remodel Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of these preferences are a consequence of HOW we use the forums.

Since I tend to open individual subforums, then open the threads in a single forum that interest me, I want the forums to be more conveniently organized for use. A side effect of this is a "General" forum doesn't really bother me... I ignore the threads I'm not interested in, and frequently skip over the 1e forum entirely (I'm not familiar with it).

Whill has said that he largely ignores that, instead relying on the "view new posts" function. That, however, means that a plethora of forums with general threads populates his list with stuff that is of less consequence to his use of the forums, so a tighter mandate is more to his liking.

I'm certainly not saying either of these is wrong, or even better. Just that what I regard as the most convenient way to organize the forums for the most people reflects the way I use them.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

Yeah, that reminds me of something I heard someone saying to me once: Talking to yourself isn't weird. Interrupting yourself...now that's weird.

I've heard it that way, but more often i hear it "Talking to yourself is ok, however answering yourself is not"..
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
We need a "General" forum. It will increase traffic a lot. People who are interested in D6 Star Wars sometimes want to BS about a different game, or a movie they saw, or a non-SW book they read. Just a place to hang out and shoot the bantha-poo-doo.

Then let them go elsewhere to do so. I'm not interested in wading through a hundred messages about Star Wars action figures for sale just to find a few articles on D6.

I agree. There's plenty of other forums with 'general' discussion areas on, and often THAT winds up being a large chunk of the traffic the site gets, drownging out what ever chatter is going on around the rest of the site.
I will say though, it often DOES bring in more people to the site..
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but the Pit does have over 2,000 registered users, even if only a small percentage of them actually participate.

I'm happy with the way things are now, I prefer quality over quantity with posters.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who don't want to participate in a General forum, there will be no requirement for them to do so. No one will have to wade through thousands of posts about SW toys in order to get to the D6 stuff.

Reason: The D6 stuff will remain in its proper forum. Those who don't want a General forum need not ever open that forum.

Those who want to BS can BS there. Those who don't, don't have to.

I vote for a General forum.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
For those who don't want to participate in a General forum, there will be no requirement for them to do so. No one will have to wade through thousands of posts about SW toys in order to get to the D6 stuff.

Reason: The D6 stuff will remain in its proper forum. Those who don't want a General forum need not ever open that forum.

Those who want to BS can BS there. Those who don't, don't have to.

I vote for a General forum.

And if there was a way to filter out the "General Forum" topics so that they didn't show up on my "Posts Since Last Visit" page, I might agree. Apparently I wasn't clear enough earlier; I come to the Rancor Pit to discuss Star Wars D6. If I want Star Wars general discussion, there are other pages I can go visit that are filled with any number of Star Wars subject. The Rancor Pit caters to a specific subset of interest in Star Wars, and should stay on-topic.

I fail to see why "increasing site traffic" is even an issue if the traffic isn't here to discuss SWD6. Does Loc Taal get advertising revenue? I've never once seen a pop-up ad or any other sort of advertisement on this page. If he wants to increase site traffic by turning his forum into a general Star Wars discussion page, that's his business. But as things currently stand, the Rancor Pit is a Star Wars D6 Role-Playing page first, and a general Star Wars discussion page as a distant second.

For those of you who wish to turn the Pit into a clone of any one of dozens or hundreds of Star Wars fan sites out there, I respectfully suggest that it would be less problematic for you to simply go to a general Star Wars discussion site, rather than trying to reshape this one to suit your personal tastes.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

For those of you who wish to walk in and rearrange the furniture, turning the Pit into a clone of any one of dozens or hundreds of Star Wars fan sites out there, I respectfully suggest that it would be less problematic for you to simply go to a general Star Wars discussion site, rather than trying to reshape this one to suit your personal tastes.

And if the site weren't being reorganized, you might have a point. But, as they're reorganizing and open to suggestions, I don't see why we shouldn't make suggestions as to how it would best fit in with our use of it.

As I said, your preferences are an outgrowth of how you use the site... a method that makes every post show up, regardless of its subforum. For those who don't use the site that way, it's less of an issue.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, my preferences are an outgrowth of why I came to this site in the first place: discussion of Star Wars D6. I feel no need to come into a dedicated Star Wars D6 discussion site and attempt to change the site to a General Star Wars Discussion site simply to suit my own preferences, especially not when there are so many other options out there.

Apparently, this feeling is not universal.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The View Posts Since Last Visit page does show the forum. How hard it is to skip any posts that are in the "General" forum?

When I come to the forum, I go to the The Rancor Pit Forum Index. Any forum that is bold has a new post that I haven't read. It is real easy for me to see the discussions that I want to read or participate in.

And, it's not about changing the site. Not at all. It's about having a place where people who dig Star Wars can come and hang out.

It's one freakin' forum among many.

As it stands now, how many people, out of the 2,000 registered folks (as mentioned), do actually post on a regular basis?

There's only a handful.

There's me.

Whill.

Grouchy CRMcNiell

Garhkal

Sutehp

and Mr. Nexx.

To a lesser degree, we see posts from Bren and Solo4114.

And, that's it. Sure, there are a few more that return every so often, but the bulk of this forum is made up of the input from just eight people.

Let's call it ten...ten people on the forum in case I missed one or two.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
The View Posts Since Last Visit page does show the forum. How hard it is to skip any posts that are in the "General" forum?

Well, how hard is it to go to a different site for general discussion of Star Wars? I mean, as opposed to recommending that a long-standing role-playing site change its focus and format?

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

Well, how hard is it to go to a different site for general discussion of Star Wars? I mean, as opposed to recommending that a long-standing role-playing site change its focus and format?

I'm not suggesting a format and focus change. I vote that we keep the format and focus the same and add a General forum for the people who come here.

One forum among all the others here.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

I would submit that adding an entire other forum, with new personalities, rules, and culture is more difficult than skipping posts that you're not interested in. And the General forum has 5 pages of material, half of which has been generated in the last 10 years... the other half being generated in the 4 years before that.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then apparently it is surviving just fine on its own, and there is no need to move it to a more prominent position.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Then apparently it is surviving just fine on its own, and there is no need to move it to a more prominent position.

Ah, but it was previously the second listed subforum, and was moved "below the fold", as it were.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Ah, but it was previously the second listed subforum, and was moved "below the fold", as it were.

No, it wasn't.

The first two subforum were The Rancor Pit and Forum Info. There was no General Discussion section, and any General Discussion topics were shoe-horned into D6 subforums where they "sort of" fit, whether the topic actually touched directly D6 or not.

A question for the Moderators: what exactly are the limits as to what can and can't be posted now?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: