The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

*** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES ***
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> *** FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES *** Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Yeah, the No grammar nazism rule is something I've run afoul of more than once; I keep forgetting that PMs are an option.

To everyone, please keep in mind that under the expanded guideline, PMs are only an option if the forum user is ok with receiving them. Before PMing any spelling or grammar corrections, you may PM one request for each forum user for permission to PM spelling corrections. If they reply no, or they do not reply at all, any subsequent PMs asking for permission or with unsolicited corrections could be considered harassment.

Thank you.
Registration & Log-In Help
KageRyu
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill, just a suggestion, but perhaps you should lock this topic down and start up a separate Feedback and Commentary page for the guidelines. Obviously, people are going to want to talk about it, but it might help things stay clearer to have the Guidelines and only the Guidelines on one topic.

I would second this. 1 thread with the rules and any addendums that is locked and only editable by a moderator to keep things clear, and a second thread where forum members can discuss things is a great way to go. This issue became forced on many of the 3D sites I used to frequent because of divisiveness in the community and what eventually became software flaming and wars... and any rules created by moderators were always attacked by one side or the other as unfair. Thankfully nothing that severe has happened here - but staying ahead of the curve isn't a bad move either.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site Admin wrote:
(19) Forum Posting Guideline updates. These guidelines may be updated at any time. A reply in this thread will be generated to announce significant updates, but this OP will be edited so you do not have to read any of the replies in the thread. It is a best practice to revisit the guidelines from time to time...

If you have any questions, please feel free reply to this thread or PM me. Thank you.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill, just a suggestion, but perhaps you should lock this topic down and start up a separate Feedback and Commentary page for the guidelines. Obviously, people are going to want to talk about it, but it might help things stay clearer to have the Guidelines and only the Guidelines on one topic.

All the guidelines are actually in one single post, the OP of this thread which is also directly linked in my signature and pinned to the top of this forum.

All updates are always edited into that OP. I'll reply in the thread to announce significant updates, provide commentary and/or post reminders. Replies by anyone in the thead bump the thread, making it appear in everyone's View posts since last visit, so I'm ok with user discussion being in the same thread as the OP. It is a best practice to revisit the OP from time to time.

And actually, people don't usually want to talk about the guidelines. I started this thread last year on my birthday and no one else replied in the thread until this month.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Yeah, the No grammar nazism rule is something I've run afoul of more than once; I keep forgetting that PMs are an option.

I'll do better in the future.

Ackshually, it's not "grammar Nazi" any more. Now they're the "Alt-Write."

Wink Laughing

ROFLMAO!

Well played, sir. I salute you. Cool

Me too. Dat were verry fuddy!
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Politics Reply with quote

Quote:
Avoid politics and religion. Please avoid real-world sociopolitical and religious references (including antireligion) except as they directly relate to Star Wars in-universe, and even then, please use caution. As the majority of users here are American, the political avoidance emphasis is on modern USA politics, but we expect everyone to self-moderate political content about their own and other countries. Please: No Obama, Hillary, or Trump. Do not discuss real-world political values inherent in Star Wars. Do not state or refer to any aspect of Star Wars having a political agenda. Do not share links to pages with political content.

I wanted to share some additional clear guidance from another thread here to help everyone of all political persuasions follow this forum guideline, and stay clear of any consequences.

1. Do not discuss politics or share any political views on the Rancor Pit. Period.
2. Do not state or allude to Star Wars having a political agenda, with or without stating what that particular agenda is.
3. Do not post links to any political content, whether it be in videos, channels, or pages. Posting warnings with it do not make it ok.
4. Do not ever write the terms SJW or SJWs on this website. Period.
5. Do not ever disparage Social Justice here. Period.
6. Do not post links to web pages that use the term SJW or disparage Social Justice.

7. Do not ever share anything from Literature Devil. His content is now permanently barred from this website. (Reasons? See 1-6 above.)

The past is done. Any prior violations of these things before this post are null and void. The slate is wiped clean. Now that the expectations for this guideline have been this clearly communicated, we can all start fresh. Violating these things can lead to warnings and temporary bans at the discretion of the staff, and permanent bans at my discretion for repeat offenders.

Please self-moderate and just don't go there. Let's please keep the Rancor Pit a politics-free zone! Thank you.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Proselytization Reply with quote

The Site Admin wrote:
Avoid politics and religion. Please avoid real-world sociopolitical and religious references (including antireligion) except as they directly relate to Star Wars in-universe, and even then, please use caution. As the majority of users here are American, the political avoidance emphasis is on modern USA politics, but we expect everyone to self-moderate political content about their own and other countries. Please: No Obama, Hillary, or Trump. Do not discuss real-world political values inherent in Star Wars. Do not state or refer to any aspect of Star Wars having a political agenda. Do not share links to pages with political content. Proselytization will be treated as spam.

Today we got our first proselytizer since I took over the site. I absolutely despise proselytization, so I added the blue text to this guideline for reinforcement.

Quote:
Keep it civil... Please do not spam or otherwise vandalize the forums... Spammers will be banned... Spammers can be reported in the Report Spammers thread.

Whill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: POSTING IMAGES Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
"Keep it tidy. Please do not post images that are greater than 750 pixels wide - Instead just post a URL link to a larger image...."

This is not an update but it addresses a question I received about posting images. I apologize that this forum has never had and still doesn't have the ability to resize images. Resize or even auto-resize may exist here in the future, but it definitely doesn't now. That is why we have this guideline to not post images wider than 750 pixels.

If you want to share an internet image that is too large, you can try to find the same image of a different size elsewhere on the internet. I usually use google chrome on my mac computer. If I right-click on an internet image, one of the options I usually get is "Search Google for Image". When I click on that, it brings up a google search of the best guess for a description of that image with the image at the top. By the image it will say "Find other sizes of this image:" and then have some link options such as "All sizes" "Small" "Medium" and "Large". Try Medium if it is there. Then when you click on the size link, it will be an image search of the image of various sizes. If you want to post an image that is as big as possible, then choose one where the width (the first number of the size) is as close as you can get to 750 without going over. Then you can right-click on the image and choose "Copy Image Address" or click on the image and go to the page where it is and get the URL. I'm sorry if you don't have the same options with your OS and browser, but I would think that you might have something similar available to you.

Another option is to resize a large image. If you don't have an image editing application on your computer, https://pixlr.com/editor/ is a decent little online image editor that allows you to open images from your computer or a URL, and then resize (and perhaps crop) them. After editing it, then you would have to save the resized image on your computer and upload it to a file storing/sharing site such as https://www.mediafire.com/ . Then you can get the URL for the image and post the image here.

Lastly there is always the easy option of just only posting the URL and a link to the image instead of posting the image itself. You can always specify the text of an image link...

I'm sure that most browsers have something similar to "search Google for image" so you can find one that is 750 pixels wide or less. If not and you don't want to resize an image and upload it to the internet before sharing it, then please share a URL instead of the image. Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: