The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Last Jedi (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Last Jedi (original spoilers thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Interesting. I was looking at the grosses for the Star Wars films.

Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation

1 Star Wars $1,310,298,200 5/25/77
2 Star Wars: The Force Awakens $992,496,600 12/18/15
3 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace $778,700,900 5/19/99

4 Return of the Jedi $743,427,500 5/25/83
5 The Empire Strikes Back $723,955,300 5/21/80
6 Star Wars: The Last Jedi $619,795,600 12/15/17

7 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story $554,854,100 12/16/16
8 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith $544,599,700 5/19/05
9 Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones $477,472,600 5/16/02

10 Star Wars: The Clone Wars $44,955,900 8/15/08

Huh, that's interesting that the first episode of each of the trilogies are the top 3. Considering that there's an interval of 16 years between RoTJ (1983) and TPH (1999) then another interval of 10 years between RoTS (2005) and TFA (2015), it's probably not surprising that people were hungry for more Star Wars movies during the intervals.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm reading the last Marvel Omnibus of the original Star Wars comic. Issue 90, from December, 1984.

In the last story, a recurring character ended up saving the entire galaxy from destruction. In this issue, Luke deduces that he used the Force, and the character, Kiro, asks Luke to train him in the ways of the Jedi.

Well....Luke says no! It's too dangerous. It's too easy to fall to the Dark Side.

Who would have thought that the character of Luke, as portrayed in a comic book, would be borne out as the same interpretation of Luke, in Episode VIII, some 33 years later!
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD releases tomorrow!
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Disney and Amazon are feuding again. It doesn't look like Amazon has TLJ yet. I thought it was strange when Amazon wouldn't let you pre-order the DVD.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I guess Disney and Amazon are feuding again. It doesn't look like Amazon has TLJ yet. I thought it was strange when Amazon wouldn't let you pre-order the DVD.

Amazon has TLJ on DVD now, but the blu-ray still says, "Temporarily out of stock." Both are "exclusively for Prime members". Thor: Ragnarok on blu-ray is still "Temporarily out of stock." I somehow missed this "Amazon-Disney feud" but I just looked into it and this is a thing. Amazon wants a bigger cut of new blu-ray sales than Disney wants to give them. I use Amazon but I wasn't aware of this feud because I always used to go to Best Buy for the best price to have in-hand the day-of release for these big movies, and they usually matched Amazon's price. I used to work near Best Buy so it was easy to stop by after work and I just kept going out of habit after I started working from home.

But Best Buy is 6.5 miles from home, and Target is matching Best Buy's release-week prices while only 2.5 miles from home. I bought Thor: Ragnarok and Justice League on blu-ray from Target this month, and tonight we stopped by Target to pick up TLJ after dinner. I'm disappointed because I'm not even a little excited about watching it because... TLJ. But I did watch it five times in the theater, so the only plus now is subtitles and the ability to pause. We will probably watch it tomorrow while we eat dinner.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get the movie through Movies Anywhere, you get the full soundtrack. I mean the FULL SCORE of the final theatrical film playing by itself as you watch the movie. That’s very, very cool. I would love that for SW77. Unfortunately I am not so excited about it for TLJ because… TLJ.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
If you get the movie through Movies Anywhere, you get the full soundtrack. I mean the FULL SCORE of the final theatrical film playing by itself as you watch the movie. That’s very, very cool. I would love that for SW77. Unfortunately I am not so excited about it for TLJ because… TLJ.

Thanks for reminding me about that. My blu-ray package says the digital copy is through Movies Anywhere, so that is something else I am looking forward to about TLJ, watching the movie as a "silent film" with only the music. I am also not as excited for this as I would be for other SW films. Almost any other SW film. I haven't even listened to TLJ soundtrack that much because... TLJ.

But my family is watching the film normal with subtitles tonight. So my next viewing, whenever that will be, will be the silent film version. Then the time after that will probably be the audio commentary (Poodoo, I don't think I've watched the audio commentaries for TFA or RO yet). Then I'll watch it one more time normal before Episode IX. So I'll watch TLJ at least three more times in my life after tonight. I'm a glutton for punishment.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made a trip to my local Walmart to pick up a copy. They are sold out!

Wow! Walmart!
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to buy the DVD version. I just went to Amazon, and they're sold out too. Says it ships in 1-3 weeks. That's exactly what happened when I bought Rouge One from Amazon.

EDIT: Interesting. Barnes & Noble have it, but it's $6 bucks more expensive.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I just made a trip to my local Walmart to pick up a copy. They are sold out!

Wow! Walmart!

I'm not a fan of Walmart anyway, but a few weeks ago Thor: Ragnarok blu-ray came out and that day I get an email saying there is a last minute cub scout meeting after work when I was going to go get it. They were meeting at my son's school and Walmart is nearby, so I replied that my son could be there if I can drop him off and run to Walmart and come back. They said yes, and when I get there, the display was wiped out. I asked about it and they said that some guy came in the morning and bought every copy. So I had to run to Target and get it anyway. Maybe Target had a lot more copies because they were the same price as Walmart. I guess people are putting them on ebay.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Interesting. Barnes & Noble have it, but it's $6 bucks more expensive.

I try not to buy movies from B&N because the pricing is horrible.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I'm trying to buy the DVD version. I just went to Amazon, and they're sold out too. Says it ships in 1-3 weeks. That's exactly what happened when I bought Rouge One from Amazon.

"Ships in 1-3 weeks" is a dishonest way of saying, "temporarily out of stock, expected to have in 1-3 weeks". I don't know if they are sold out or never had any.

For TFA and RO I bought the Blu-ray+DVD+Digital combo, but the only TLJ combo with DVDs they had at Target was a special collector edition with some booklet that cost too much more, and it was thicker so would take up more space on my shelf, so I said screw that and just got the Blu-ray+Digital combo. I like having the extra DVD copies to lend to people, but I guess it is no big deal to lend out the blu-ray because it's only TLJ.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up finding it at the Walmart Supercenter, which is a little farther away from my house and my local Walmart.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watching it now. Question: It's supposed to be impossible to track a ship through light speed. Yet, the First Order does it, and it's curious to Leia & Co.

1. Haven't we seen tracking through lightspeed before? There's the homing beacon used on the Falcon in ANH, and the tracker that Obi-wan uses on Jango Fett's ship in AotC.

Plus, haven't we seen tracking before if a ship has a good sensor lock and has determined the target's hyperspace vector in other stories?

2. We saw in RO and in TFA (and I think in this film too) with communications happening with a ship while in hyperspace. If comms are available, shouldn't tracking also be something that is quite available?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I watching it now. Question: It's supposed to be impossible to track a ship through light speed. Yet, the First Order does it, and it's curious to Leia & Co.

1. Haven't we seen tracking through lightspeed before? There's the homing beacon used on the Falcon in ANH, and the tracker that Obi-wan uses on Jango Fett's ship in AotC.

Plus, haven't we seen tracking before if a ship has a good sensor lock and has determined the target's hyperspace vector in other stories?

2. We saw in RO and in TFA (and I think in this film too) with communications happening with a ship while in hyperspace. If comms are available, shouldn't tracking also be something that is quite available?

Yes.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in RO, just before we see Jyn going through a list of special imperial pojects ("Pax Aurora, War-Mantle, Cluster Prism, Black Saber...") we see her listing off the contents of Schematic Bank, Data Tower 2: ("Hyperspace tracking, navigational systems...")

So it looks like the Empire was actively trying to develop the system to track ships through hyperspace since at least 1 BBY and the First Order either inherited a working copy from the Empire or managed to get it to actually work by the time of TFA/TLJ.

But I think I remember reading in the TLJ Visual Guide or the Cross Sections book that it takes an obscenely enormous amount of computing power to successfully track a ship through hyperspace. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that only First Order planetary bases (including Starkiller Base, which would explain how the First Order managed to track Snap's recon flight back to D'Qar [and the dumbass really should have known better than to fly straight back to base]) and the Supremacy are the only places large enough to feasibly hold such a large computer array.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new question: In TFA, we see the Falcon exit hyperspace close to Snoke's flagship, eject Rey in an escape pod (Hey! We finally get to see what the Falcon's escape pods look like! And, where they exit the ship...and how to board them inside!), then jump again to hyperspace. This only takes a few seconds.

IIRC, this is not possible under D6 rules. Isn't that correct? I thought that there's a minimum amount of time before the hyperdrive can be used again.

Of course, what we see in TLJ could be a new innovation. It is 35 years later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: