The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What is the best way to watch the films?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> What is the best way to watch the films? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: What is the best way to watch the films? Reply with quote

A friend of mine is a high school teacher, and for the end of the school year, he showed all six films to his classes, including several who had never seen any of the movies. Apparently, several new Star Wars fans have been born, thanks to my friend Craig. When I asked in which order he showed the films, his response is quite likely the best I have ever heard. He shows ANH first, followed by ESB, then cuts to the prequels, ending with ROTJ, basically showing the entire prequel trilogy as a flashback of how Anakin fell and became Darth Vader, while simultaneously amping up the suspense and the angst for Jedi. Honestly, if I were to show the films to someone who had never seen them before, I can't think of a better way to do it. Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I've heard this order advocated, and it makes a lot of sense; for new viewers, it preserves the 'I am your father' AND 'Palpatine is Sidious' surprises, makes ESB more of a cliffhanger, and leaves ANH as the rightful introduction, and ROTJ as the rightful ending.

Of course, it's far too late for me to see them for the first time, but I figure anyone I introduce to them, this is the method I'll try,

Hard core OT, all the way!
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can't speak for what a first time experience might be like, but I can give you my experiences from having done a youth group Star Wars marathon.

We went in numerical order, not in order of their release. We watched the PT first, then the OT. There were a few things that readily stood out. There was a DRAMATIC pacing shift once we hit the OT. People had already been there for hours, and then we moved into slower paced films. It had an affect on the landscape.

Second, having seen Yoda totally wailing on people just a few hours ago, then you see him deliberately act like a buffoon in ESB was a little jarring. Some of the less experienced viewers laughed out loud at the absurdity of his actions and asked "Why is he DOING that!?" It wasn't at all clear that he was deliberately testing Luke's patience.

However, these observations come from watching them in a row, rather than watching them in order in separate sittings.

Oh, and afterwards, we were all very tired of watching Star Wars. Smile
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can second that. We tried that with the Blu-ray release. Enjoyed the first act of TPM (the movie really seems like it gets a bad rap until about the time when they reach Tatooine) more than ever before... and did not enjoy the OT at all. exhaustion set in... and our brains had grown accustomed to the faster pace so that films we usually enjoyed now seemed glacially slow. Never doing that again.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the best way to watch the films is two per night over the course of three days...

Complete Starship Construction System
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I'd say the best way to watch the films is two per night over the course of three days...

I'd give that a shot. The question then becomes how you will watch all nine when Kathleen Kennedy gets done with her round of films.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:

So, ANH and ESB on the first night, TPM and AOTC on the second, wrapping with ROTS and ROTJ on the third. Works for me.

cheshire wrote:
I'd give that a shot. The question then becomes how you will watch all nine when Kathleen Kennedy gets done with her round of films.

Let's burn that bridge when we come to it.

cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:

So, ANH and ESB on the first night, TPM and AOTC on the second, wrapping with ROTS and ROTJ on the third. Works for me.

That's not an order I'd expect. Why leave the gap in the closure of ESB and run ROTS with ROTJ?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the original post. It preserves the surprise and angst at the end of ESB, then shows the prequels as a flashback without truly revealing Palpatine as the Emperor / Sidious, then wraps everything up with Jedi. For people who haven't seen the films before, this is, IMO, the best sequence I have ever heard of for bringing someone new into the fandom.

cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I missed the "cuts to the prequels" part. Sorry.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

LOL. No prob.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Without that, isn't it just "only watch the original trilogy"? Not that I can't accept that recommendation...

Complete Starship Construction System
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have kids, that will be my methodology. I can just endorse the former as something for adults that WANT to see all 6. Wink

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the order suggested in the OP is often called The Machete Order, though it is also common to completely axe Episode I (or watch a condensed version). Personally, I really like E1, so don't see that as a good method at all.

Googling the subject provides some excellent ideas for such a marathon (here's another, followed by one more).
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: I like it Reply with quote

That actually makes quite a bit of sense.

I'd like it even better if we could compact I-II-first half of III into one movie!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: