The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Return of the Jedi [40th Anniversary]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Return of the Jedi [40th Anniversary]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:36 pm    Post subject: Return of the Jedi [40th Anniversary] Reply with quote

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Will Be Back in Theaters for 40th Anniversary Celebration

One week only, April 28th - May 4th. Last year I saw The Empire Strikes Back in the theater again, and this year I'll see RotJ!

https://www.starwars.com/news/swce-2023-return-of-the-jedi-40th-anniversary
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Return of the Jedi [40th Anniversary] Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Will Be Back in Theaters for 40th Anniversary Celebration

One week only, April 28th - May 4th. Last year I saw The Empire Strikes Back in the theater again, and this year I'll see RotJ!

https://www.starwars.com/news/swce-2023-return-of-the-jedi-40th-anniversary

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I'll still go see it though.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost track of the month and forgot to get tickets until tonight. We are going on Saturday night. My first time seeing RotJ in the theater since 1997!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill was it the Disney Plus version? I assume it was. We're going at lunchtime today.

If you go to Target you might find a reissue ROTJ Kenner figure. They're out but they don't make enough of them.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill was it the Disney Plus version? I assume it was. We're going at lunchtime today.

Yes, it was the "HD" version of the film on Disney+. We really enjoyed seeing it in the theater last night.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

Yes, it was the "HD" version of the film on Disney+. We really enjoyed seeing it in the theater last night.

I saw a lot of things that, for whatever reason, I never noticed before. Details of the battles, like for some reason I always thought there was a lot more ewoks. And I saw a broader range of facial expressions in Mark Hamill's acting than I remember. It is a shame they changed the in-universe music at Jabba's and at the end. Music is too heavily tied to memory to get away with something like that. Most people will tell you, if a song from a certain era in their life comes on it can cause all sorts of sensory memories. We stayed to see Gerald Home's name in the credits. Vaya con Dios my friend.

In other ROTJ fun, in June ewoks will be released for Star Wars: Legion so I'll be collecting some new ewok miniatures to paint. West End's two were never enough. The game really needed a dedicated ten-man box apiece (at a minimum) dedicated to Hoth, Endor and Tatooine in addition to what we got in the other boxes. Or ten new straight-to-blister-pack sculpts for those planets.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:54 am    Post subject: RotJ Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I saw a lot of things that, for whatever reason, I never noticed before.

I recall noticing some background details in this theatrical viewing of RotJ. I have the experience of noticing something new virtually every time I watch any Star Wars movie, even at home. But with the three OT films it is far more likely I am just re-noticing something I noticed 50 viewings ago or so.

Quote:
Details of the battles, like for some reason I always thought there was a lot more ewoks.

There have been no Ewoks added or subtracted in any version, so what you saw in that respect is what it always was. Sorry it was better in your memory.

In high school when I got my first VHS trilogy in 1987, I quickly noticed that after Han's con and the commander says, "Send three squads to help," it is much less than "three squads" that come out of the bunker. It is actually just a minimal collection of various Imperial extras, much less than in my memory of the film (I guess the dialogue had mind tricked my young self as Lucas intended). If it had actually been three squads, they would have outnumbered the Ewoks surrounding them and surrendering would really strained disbelief suspension. If the Emperor wasn't lying, he said there was an entire legion of troops on the Forest Moon. In my mind, there were more Imperials and more Ewoks. For my imagination, the movie works good enough with the production values it has.

Quote:
It is a shame they changed the in-universe music at Jabba's and at the end. Music is too heavily tied to memory to get away with something like that. Most people will tell you, if a song from a certain era in their life comes on it can cause all sorts of sensory memories.

Get away with? Like they are just sneaking it in in 2023? The new song at Jabba's Palace and the new end music for the film have been there for 26 years now. They aren't "getting away with" anything. They never advertised this theatrical viewing of RotJ as the original version of the film. They showed the current, digital version of the film for today's digital cinema. They were under no obligation show a version matching your particular memories. Star Wars isn't just for "original version era" fans. RotJ is for currently young people too. Plenty of younger people experience the current music as normal–the new music has been in the film longer than the original music was.

I personally split the difference with you. I don't hate "Jedi Rocks" but I do prefer "Lapti Nek." I like "Ewok Celebration" (Yub-Nub), but I absolutely love "Victory Celebration" and have since first seeing/hearing it '97. It has the gravitas to better conclude the trilogy (and saga). Plus Williams wove the motif into Anakin's victory celebration music in TPM, a nice touch connecting the start of Anakin's journey to the end.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: RotJ Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Get away with? Like they are just sneaking it in in 2023? The new song at Jabba's Palace and the new end music for the film have been there for 26 years now. They aren't "getting away with" anything.

No not get away with like sneaking it in. Get away with like "having it work". I don't think it works. Like Greedo shooting first. What if they decided to make all 6 films more sequel-compatible? You'd be singing a different tune.

As for the 3 squads... West End seems to have taken that scene at face value, more or less. A squad of Army or Navy troopers was 4. Because West End is the best! Stormtrooper squads could be 3-10 iirc. I think the movie showed 8 navy troopers for the "3 squads" but I really don't know. And it's plausible some left via another door.

I suppose the "entire Legion" was spread out over the whole moon. or, Legions got a lot bigger in the decades of fleshing out the universe, since.

In more interesting news, googling some stuff for this post revealed a bunch of original artwork from one of my Ewok children's books is on display and for sale at a local gallery. That might be an expensive daytrip...
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:01 am    Post subject: RotJ 40 Reply with quote

Happy Star Wars Day! Return of the Jedi ~ 40 years! We're old!

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was reminded today when my co-worker stopped by my table at lunch to see if I was planning on attending our 40th anniversary of our graduation from high school.

Yes, I saw this movie as a senior in high school.

Now get off my lawn!!! Mad
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very sorry, sir. Best lawn in the neighborhood, sir.

Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: