The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Full dodge on multi-crew ships?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Full dodge on multi-crew ships? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jollyone
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Well, here's my version of an Anti-Ship Torpedo.

I agree with you that the Pacific War is probably the best real-world analogy to the what a space war looks like in the SWU, and I've pulled a lot of ideas and concepts out of it over the years.

Thanks for link, lots of good stuff in that thread I need to read. The torpedo(s) look good. I really like the shield buster and capital scale one. They make sense to me, I also like the Hull code restriction. Was there a place that explains how many a type of craft or hull code can carry? There can only be one capital scale would be fine by me but thought I should ask.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of a work in progress at the moment. I ended up folding the torpedo into the External Hardpoint rules on page 4 of the same topic. Short version is that only starfighters with a Large Hardpoint can carry a torpedo (so, just the Y-Wing, the Scimitar Assault Bomber and the later K-Wing). Other ships can launch space bombs from their proton torpedo launchers, making them the SWU equivalent of dive bombers in space.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We see Starfighter scale ships and Capital scale ships engage in one-on-one combat in the first two movies ever made. The Millennium Falcon is chased by Imperial Star Destroyers in both films.

One-on-one, capital ships can match starfighters for speed and maneuverability, depending on the ships stats, of course. Granted, most cruisers are not built for that kind of maneuverability, but when they can bring in excess of 20 cannons at a time to bear on a target, maneuverability is not their main use.

Practicality is the reason, I think, cruisers don't 'dogfight' or dodge in fleet maneuvers. They are too likely to damage their fellow cruisers by accidentally ramming them. We see a classic example of this in ESB when three ISDs are chasing the Millennium Falcon and almost collide with each other. Additionally, their weapons have a range that is far greater than a starfighter. Cruisers are built to sit at range and be floating fortresses.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both pursuits in ANH were essentially linear, with no opportunity for maneuver. The Falcon pursuit in ESB, however, makes it clear that the Falcon can outmaneuver Star Destroyers simply by making sudden changes of direction. Han even says as much: “Great. Well, we can still outmaneuver them.”

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capital Ships can be so much.

What about a Corvette, which reasonably could be argued is an anti starfighter ship?
Would this be allowed a dodge vs their "intended" target(s) under certain conditions naturally.

How about a corvette vs a frigate, two capital ships engaged, both by logic should have both speed and maneuverability to dodge the other......

If we let a fighter squadron attack a star destroyer, then naturally the destroyer can not dodge, not due to size, speed or maneuverability, but due to the enemy squadron being "all over the place" and thus preventing the larger ship any safe location to dodge to.

Size do matter as in it is much easier to dodge when small, and the SD in this case poses a huge almost impossible to miss target.

One could use some mass combat rule, counting the fighter squadron/unit as one and then allow a ship vs fight play out, this would make for dodge being allowed mechanically but it would not be logical to me at least.

I think if we look at the ships, look at their "classes" and compare them to our wet navy warships we can also find a way to allow dodging under certain conditions.

The ISDs are battleships, the term "destroyer" in the imperial navy is not what it is in other navies, if we look at the destroyers on the wookie, we find several sizes, most being under 500m
The Sabaoth Destroyer, holding plenty of fighters by it self is less than 300m
I would argue this ship would be able and very much so in both tactical maneuvers and evasive maneuvers aka dodge against sips its size, some smaller ships and some larger ships.

The list of reasonable capital ships being able to "dodge" even against smaller ship is actually quite long.

So where do we draw the limit? I think to be honest that this has to be done by what is reasonable.........is there ROOM ENOUGH for a 1 mile long ( 1600m) ship to a) Maneuver at all during the contact, b) IF room enough to maneuver, is there room enough for evasive maneuvers, which DO NEED quite a lot of room to pull off in a huge ship, and even a small ship.......look how much space and distance a mere f-14 does during a loop.

So what is reasonable, what is capital ships, what are their intended role, what are their modified role, all these factor would be relevant.

So can a destroyer dodge, yes, but only under the right conditions and these are usually quite rare, mostly depending on the ship's tactical role.
As in the Imperial Navy strategy and tactics and how the various ships are used and intended to be used
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: