The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Kenobi - A Star Wars Story
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Kenobi - A Star Wars Story Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Kenobi - A Star Wars Story Reply with quote

Did you guys hear the gossip? Although it hasn't been announced, Kenobi is supposed to be the next solo (no pun intended) Star Wars film that would come out in 2020.

And...

Wait for it...

The news is that George Lucas will be directing the film! Wow. The story is supposed to pick up with Obi-wan just after the events of Episode III, and Ewan McGregor is said to revive his role as the Jedi Master.

Evidently, George has been outed as he scouts for locations in Europe.

Wow (if true).
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Kenobi - A Star Wars Story Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Did you guys hear the gossip? Although it hasn't been announced, Kenobi is supposed to be the next solo (no pun intended) Star Wars film that would come out in 2020.

And...

Wait for it...

The news is that George Lucas will be directing the film! Wow. The story is supposed to pick up with Obi-wan just after the events of Episode III, and Ewan McGregor is said to revive his role as the Jedi Master.

Evidently, George has been outed as he scouts for locations in Europe.

Wow (if true).

I've heard that Kenobi is the next anthology film and think there is a good chance that it true. We had Rogue One with Leia, Grand Moff Tarkin, Vader, Threepio, Artoo, Mon Mothma and Bail Organa. We are having Solo with Han, Chewie and Lando. Ewan McGregor is willing to return as Obi-Wan. An Obi-Wan film could possibly have young Luke, Owen, Beru, Ghost Qui-Gon, Jabba, Greedo, Boba Fett, etc. I don't think it would take place immediately after RotS through. Ewan McGregor would be 47 when this would be filmed so it would make more sense to set this at least 5 years after RotS. I'd make it 9 years later if it is going to include young Luke.

I follow enough nerd sites and come across headlines enough that I'm surprised I must have missed this rumor involving Lucas. Although if I did see this headline I may have just disregarded it as clickbait. I'm not sure movieweb is a reliable source, and Lucas' purpose in Ireland was speculation anyway.

Lucas has only directed 6 feature films in his career: two films before Star Wars, the original Star Wars, and the entire Prequel trilogy. Even I question why he directed AotC and RotS. I just can't see him directing any big budget feature films ever again. I think it is more realistic that he may have been enticed back into Star Wars as a co-producer.

Despite all the hate for Lucas' direction of the prequels, the films made a lot of money so there is a large but perhaps less vocal base of supporters. I can see Kathleen Kennedy wanting Lucas involved in an inter-trilogy Obi-Wan film. Lucas handled Anakin (and Padme) poorly, but in RotS the emphasis was all on Anakin's arc transforming into the classic Vader. Obi-Wan doesn't really get much character development or story arc in the overall saga, so an Obi-Wan film where he is the primary protagonist with Anakin out of the way could be great. Ewan McGregor's performance rose above Lucas' lackluster human direction and I already believe that he would grow old into Alec Guinness, but I would love to see more of that transformation and maybe Lucas should like to help show that.

Maybe the Lucas haters will even be somewhat forgiving and rationalize that without Lucas in control he can contribute good ideas while his bad ideas could be outvoted. Ah, who am I kidding? Haters gonna hate no matter what.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I put this in the wrong forum? Or did you move it?

This thread shouldn't be in the Games forum, I don't think. It should be moved to the General Star Wars forum.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

This thread shouldn't be in the Games forum, I don't think. It should be moved to the General Star Wars forum.

When I first saw it, it was already in the Games forum. I was going to move it and forgot. Will do so now.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

When I first saw it, it was already in the Games forum. I was going to move it and forgot. Will do so now.

Thank you, m'lord Supreme Chancellor.

Smile
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Kenobi - A Star Wars Story Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I follow enough nerd sites and come across headlines enough that I'm surprised I must have missed this rumor involving Lucas. Although if I did see this headline I may have just disregarded it as clickbait. I'm not sure movieweb is a reliable source, and Lucas' purpose in Ireland was speculation anyway.

It is just rumor, but if you do a search, there are a few more sites besides Movieweb that reports the rumor.

Evidently, Lucas helped direct a scene from Solo, too (according to Den of Geek). It's some little tweak having to do with the Falcon, according to the article.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: A Star Wars Story Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
It is just rumor, but if you do a search, there are a few more sites besides Movieweb that reports the rumor.

Two other sites I visited that picked up the story referred back to movieweb as the original source.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Evidently, Lucas helped direct a scene from Solo, too (according to Den of Geek). It's some little tweak having to do with the Falcon, according to the article.

This is true. Ron Howard is an old friend of George (and they've worked on two films together). After Solo resumed production, George and his wife showed up on Ron's first day principle photography to say hi and show Ron support. They ended up staying five hours...

Whill wrote:
https://geektyrant.com/news/george-lucas-helped-ron-howard-craft-an-entire-scene-in-solo-a-star-wars-story

George Lucas showed up on Ron Howard's first day of shooting and gave a suggestion that Ron implemented...

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said, "There’s even one little moment in a scene that — I can’t tell you what, sorry — but in the scene on the Millennium Falcon where George said, 'Why doesn’t Han just do this?' It actually is a funny little bit that will probably get a laugh. And Ron happened to be by the monitor and not inside the Falcon and he goes, ‘Oh that’s a great idea,’ and ran in and said, ‘George wants us to do this.’ So that was pretty cool. I think George felt pretty great about that. He could revisit these characters, and I think he felt so comfortable, obviously with Ron being there, that it was just fun for him."

Giving a helpful suggestion to a friend isn't nearly the same as being hired to work on more Star Wars films. Despite Lucas' recent years giving of over $2 billion to charity in one fell swoop and another $1.5 billion for the creation of a non-profit museum and park, Lucas is still a billionaire and doesn't need the money. Lucas sneezes the amount of the giant bags of cash that Disney had to fork over to get JJ Abrams to get him to direct Episode IX. Money would be no motivation for Lucas, so it just seems a lot easier to believe that if he is involved with Star Wars again, it would be in a more behind-the-scenes manner than directing. But maybe I'm wrong.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heard rumors of a Kenobi movie also, but I didn't give them much credence, although I did think it is an idea with some potential. That being said, I'm wondering what sort of story we could have about Kenobi being on Tatooine if all he was doing there was watching over Luke, who himself complained long and loud in ANH that nothing ever happened on Tatooine. And there's also the question of whether Luke and Ben had actually met/been introduced to each other before the events of ANH. When Ben rescued Luke from the Sand People in ANH, it's obvious they know each other, meaning they know each other's names and what they look like, but I remember hints and implications from other sources that though they know of each other, they hadn't actually met before R2 ran off to find Kenobi.

Then again, there are other sources, in particular a short story called "Time of Death" in FACPOV, that states that Luke and Ben had met before but their meetings were always cut short by Owen Lars, who was adamant about keeping Kenobi away from Luke at all costs. There was one time when the Lars homestead was attacked by bandits while Kenobi was nearby and came to help. One of the bandits managed to gt the drop on Kenobi, but then Luke (only 8 or 10 years old at the time) threw a rock at the bandit, which distracted the bandit from killing Kenobi at just the right moment and allowed Kenobi to turn the tide. And when the bandits were defeated, it was Lars who was pissed at Kenobi for putting Luke in harm's way, even though it was Luke who made the decision to help Kenobi.

Yeah, Lars was desperate to make sure Luke never turned out like Anakin, even to the point of making sure that Luke had an opportunity to become inspired to become a hero. Hmm, maybe there's something to be said about story potential here for a Kenobi movie after all.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BEN: Rest easy, son. You've had a busy day. You're fortunate to be all in one piece.
LUKE: Ben? Ben Kenobi? Boy am I glad to see you.

I've always had the impression that they had met each other before, possibly on more than one occasion. Their contacts may have been fairly brief and it may have been years since the last time. In Legends I remember that there was a story where Obi-Wan had saved young Luke's life.

Obi-Wan and Owen probably agree that while Luke is growing up, he is safest on Tatooine. Obi-Wan also wouldn't want to go out into the galaxy for any reason because of the risk of being discovered which may endanger Luke. But what if young Luke is captured by slavers and taken offworld? Obi-Wan would have to leave Tatooine to rescue him while avoiding any Imperial entanglements. There are story possibilities out there for an Obi-Wan film.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Quote:
BEN: Rest easy, son. You've had a busy day. You're fortunate to be all in one piece.
LUKE: Ben? Ben Kenobi? Boy am I glad to see you.

I've always had the impression that they had met each other before, possibly on more than one occasion. Their contacts may have been fairly brief and it may have been years since the last time. In Legends I remember that there was a story where Obi-Wan had saved young Luke's life.

Obi-Wan and Owen probably agree that while Luke is growing up, he is safest on Tatooine. Obi-Wan also wouldn't want to go out into the galaxy for any reason because of the risk of being discovered which may endanger Luke. But what if young Luke is captured by slavers and taken offworld? Obi-Wan would have to leave Tatooine to rescue him while avoiding any Imperial entanglements. There are story possibilities out there for an Obi-Wan film.

Or, even if the primary action doesn't go off-world, you might have vignettes or flashbacks off-world.

For myself, I wouldn't have anything actually happen to Luke, because my take on Luke is that he's bored because nothing exciting ever happened to him. Not that he's been living quietly except for that one time he was taken by space slavers and rescued by Obi-wan Kenobi. I think a Luke with that kind of adventure in his background would be a fairly different person.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Or, even if the primary action doesn't go off-world, you might have vignettes or flashbacks off-world.

I feel it does have to go offword. Like the "star" in starship, it's not Star Wars without active travel from one star system to another. Besides, we've already had a Kenobi novel that took place completely on Tatooine and it wasn't very good, so they need to distance themselves from that.

MrNexx wrote:
For myself, I wouldn't have anything actually happen to Luke, because my take on Luke is that he's bored because nothing exciting ever happened to him. Not that he's been living quietly except for that one time he was taken by space slavers and rescued by Obi-wan Kenobi. I think a Luke with that kind of adventure in his background would be a fairly different person.

I fundamentally disagree with this. I do not see Luke as someone who has never had adventures before ANH. Per Han Solo, Luke's pretty good in a fight. That means he had to have been in fights before. Luke is a daredevil who flies skyhoppers at breakneck speeds through Beggar's Canyon and bullseyes womprats not much bigger than two meters. Luke very easily could have had encounters Sand People and Krayt Dragons on Tatooine. Luke was the best bush pilot in the Outer Rim according to Biggs who was not such a bad pilot himself. Even as an exaggeration, this still strongly implies adventures and experiences. Now did Luke have more excitement than boredom on Tatooine? No. Of course there was a longing for more adventure. Did Luke ever leave Tatooine while growing up? It may have been once or rarely, but it is not impossible.

And, even if young Luke was kidnapped by slavers and taken off world, it doesn't have to be a very adventurous experience for Luke. He could spend most of his time in shackles. Maybe Ben and Owen both try to rescue Luke separately, or begrudgingly have to work together, but when Luke is rescued Luke remains unaware of the extent of Ben's involvement. Maybe Owen takes advantage of Ben's heroics and then leaves Ben behind when he has an opportunity to rescue Luke. Luke could ask a bunch of questions about how he did it and Owen could get grumpy and tell Luke to forget it. This whole suggestion of slavers kidnapping Luke would just an impetus for Ben to leave Tatooine. If Luke didn't leave Tatooine first, than what would make Ben leave him behind? He would be leaving Luke more unguarded. Luke being taken from Tatooine is the obvious reason for Ben to risk discovery and leave himself.

I'd love this film to take place about half-way between the trilogies when Luke is about Anakin's age in TPM. I've love to see some Luke/Anakin parallels/contracts. No, I'm not saying young Luke should fly pod racers, get into a starfighter battle or say yippee. But they could construct a plot where Luke gets kidnapped and taken offworld but spends most of his time in chains without seeing Ben be a big hero while Ben does accomplish effecting the rescue of Luke so he is returned safety to Tatooine while their identities remain secret from the Sith. They had Leia in Rogue One, Solo in Solo, so it seems appropriate to have Luke in the Kenobi film. They should have young Biggs in it too to better establish their childhood friendship to enhance the drama of Biggs death in ANH (which was much more dramatic in the novelization than the film). Luke and Biggs could both be kidnapped and rescued.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with Whill here. As MrNexx wrote, Luke is a 19 year old farm boy who has never been off Tatooine. Maybe there's been a scrape or two with the Tusken Raiders or a local bully, but, mainly, Luke is in the prime of his life, with the Force behind him, and that's why Han thinks that he's "pretty good in a fight."
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, count me in too.

Having Luke involved in any kind of adventure would be like having Bilbo involved in adventures before the Dwarves arrived in Hobbiton.

Or Frodo involved in grand adventures before he becomes the custodian of the One Ring.

If it were up to me, I'd have the movie start out with a child Luke getting into some petty mischief; lost or separated from his uncle during a visit to Anchorhead or something, and 'coincidentally' run into Old Ben.

Luke asks him some innocent questions...which triggers a flashback sequence, as per the opening of Saving Private Ryan. This sequence makes up the bulk of the movie and shows Obi Wan's last adventure.

Maybe an attempt to cover is tracks or take care of some item of unfinished business; maybe something for Bail Organa, so we have a brief glimpse of Leia's childhood. It would reinforce that Obi Wan is someone Bail would fetch again if the need was dire.

Obi Wan would be the Gandalf to Luke's Frodo. (in ANH)

Casual musings.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have to agree with Wajeb and Dred. Luke may be an expert pilot, but that can be chalked up to the facts that 1) he's strong in the Force and 2) piloting skills run in his family. (Hell, even Leia was remarked to be a better pilot than the two scout troopers she and Luke were chasing on Endor, according to the RotJ novelization.) But just because Luke has had lots of practice in a skyhopper doesn't mean that he's already had lots of (or even any) adventures. Hell, just look at the cantina scene again. Luke isn't in there two minutes before Evazan and Ponda Baba try to mess with him and threaten his life. Hardened criminals like those two wouldn't have messed with Luke if he was already an adventurer who knew how to defend himself. The reason they attacked Luke was because they thought he was an easy target and didn't realize that Obi-Wan (and his lightsaber) would come to Luke's aid.

Even in the FACPOV short story "You Owe Me a Ride", the Tonnika sisters, no fools they, are amazed at how Luke is so completely out of his element when he walks into the cantina. They knew that Luke was a naif the instant he walked in the door. Seeing Luke ask C-3PO to wait outside instead of ordering his property to wait outside merely reinforced that assessment. And Evazan and Ponda Baba saw the same thing. No wonder those two thought they could bully Luke and get away with it.

Yeah, I can't see Luke having "adventures" that would have toughened him up or made him less naive before ANH. It just doesn't make any sense given what we've seen of him in ANH with him desperate to get off Tatooine to find adventure and excitement.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb, Dredwulf, and Sutehp, I just noticed that none of you posted in Nexx's recent thread discussing whether Luke was "a starting character at the beginning of A New Hope" or not. Nexx only asked and never really even answered his own question. Reading your opinions of Luke in ANH here now makes me feel that other conversation was lopsided, because the general consensus of that conversation was that there is no way Luke was a mere starting PC level character with 18D in attributes and only about 7D in skills.

RAW statted Luke out way better than a starting PC with a tons of skill dice and pips all over the place. I don't entirely agree with that. Now I didn't bother statting out all his skills but I did give Luke 19D in normal attribute dice (so not even counting the Force). My attribute for Luke in ANH are below.

DEX 3D+1
KNO 2D+1
MEC 4D+1
PER 3D
STR 3D
TEC 3D

As far as his inadequacies mentioned here, no I would not give Luke a single pip in streetwise. He may have had dealings with shady Jawas but I would agree he is completely out of his element in the wretched hive of scum and villainy that was the cantina. I also wouldn't give Luke much in the way of interaction skills. I would still have to say that overall Luke would still have more than 7D in skills, even if not to the levels that RAW gives him.

In game terms, that means he would have had some adventurous experiences in his life that he gained experience from. Would you guys really stat Luke out with less than 18D in attributes and hardly any skills? So was Luke just a walking stack of CPs and FPs to do everything he did because he had no skill? Since we didn't get it in the other conversation, I'd like to hear from the other side that has such low opinions of Luke as a character in ANH.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: