The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Everyone, please do me a quick favor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Everyone, please do me a quick favor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Everyone, please do me a quick favor Reply with quote

Please access your Profile edit screen and make sure your email address is up-to-date on your account. This is vital for recovering access to your account should you lose it, and for receiving any important emails about site outages and other important announcements, as rare as those may be.

Thank you very much.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Everyone, please do me a quick favor Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Please access your Profile edit screen and make sure your email address is up-to-date on your account. This is vital for recovering access to your account should you lose it, and for receiving any important emails about site outages and other important announcements, as rare as those may be.

Thank you very much.

This is a good periodic reminder. Please make sure your email is up to date in your profile. While you're there you make sure your whole profile and all your settings are up to date.

Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to do this, but when I clicked the button to change my profile settings, it said my signature was too long...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Tried to do this, but when I clicked the button to change my profile settings, it said my signature was too long...

I remember us running into this when you couldn't update your signature. It had let me update it, but that never addressed why you couldn't do it. Well I just checked and the character count of your signature was over the max character limit, which had been set at 255 (counting coding text and spaces) since before I took over the forum. The funny thing about that is, it would not let me go over the character limit for my signature. So why it let me set your sig over, I have no idea.

Anyway, I just increased the forum signature character limit to over your character count, so please try to update your profile again. If your signature character count does not go over the new limit, you should be able to update your own profile now.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: email Reply with quote

Please add ' forums -at- rancorpit -dot- com ' to the contacts of the email address you have registered for this site (obviously the actual email address).

Please update the email address in your profile if you have any Microsoft email address (outlook, hotmail, etc.). You need to have a current valid email on file for account access recovery reasons.

I have spent a lot of time dealing with people submitting registration requests, and then their email service denying the reply. It is a big waste of my time because I do not know they can't complete the registration until after the registration has been created.

So a lot of people over the years have reported Rancor Pit emails as spam, so the emails are getting blocked. I have reported these rejected emails to my web host and they have contacted some of the email providers and gotten them to remove the blocks. Microsoft is like, no. It was passed on to me that they want me to fill out a form and join some community for being monitored. The links they sent just goes on a wild good chase until it gets to a page that is only visible through the Wayback Machine web archive. I found a Microsoft community page where others had the same problem and the discussion lead to it being reported and no one getting any replies to the report.

I do not appreciate being jerked around and I do not have time for this. So from now on, if I get a registration request with an outlook or hotmail email address, the registration is going straight in the "unregisterable" folder. I'm not even going to try to register them. Get a gmail address or something.

The whole thing really burns me because in the 17.5 years this forum has been in existence, it has never sent out spam. Except for very rare major announcement emails (I've only done one ever, about the PbP forum), all emails you get are user-requested. A long time ago the previous admin said he had to deactivate emails going for thread subscriptions. He didn't document why, but I'm guessing it is because of this issue. And my personal email account successfully gets Rancor Pit emails for PM notifications, so it isn't a problem on the Rancor Pit end.

To all the past Rancor Pit users that reported Rancor Pit emails (that you signed up for) as spam—I curse you. You have wasted hours of my time and you have blocked new people from joining this community.

Please do not report Rancor Pit emails as spam! If you need help stopping unwanted PM notification emails, please reach out to me or help. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: email Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

The whole thing really burns me because in the 17.5 years this forum has been in existence, it has never sent out spam. Except for very rare major announcement emails (I've only done one ever, about the PbP forum), all emails you get are user-requested. A long time ago the previous admin said he had to deactivate emails going for thread subscriptions. He didn't document why, but I'm guessing it is because of this issue. And my personal email account successfully gets Rancor Pit emails for PM notifications, so it isn't a problem on the Rancor Pit end.

Dude. I feel your pain. There's a vast wilderness of algorithms out there that determines your site's domain reputation. And sometimes it just takes the stars to align wrong to make it a world of hurt. I sent out a welcome email at work to a list that 8% of the people unsubscribed from that day at the same time that we made a change to our DNS entry. That alignment of stars screwed us over with one server's metrics, and we've been paying for it ever since. And it is a HARD climb back up.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember you mentioning that. Unfortunately, I'm in over over my head for resolving this issue. I already went way above and beyond to resolve the site's reputation with Microsoft by following the trail of this wild goose chase to a dead end with Microsoft emails.

When my son ordered the wrong kind of Minecraft for his computer, it was a nightmare to resolve. And one of his Xbox games had a DLC pack that included two other DLC pack but it was not explicit in their interface that was the case, so I bought two duplicates. I promptly got the refund for one duplicate, but after multiple denials of getting a refund of the other one I finally just gave up because it was only $6.95 and I had already put way more time than it was worth into it. It was just the principle of the matter but I lost the battle anyway.

But besides my son's Xbox, I just can't get away from Microsoft. I just plunked down for a Microsoft 365 Family (formally called Office) subscription because I am heavily invested in tons of Word and Excel documents from even before I went Mac. I was tired of continuing to get those notifications that my Word and Excel are "no longer supported." The subscription plan allows up to six family members to get access to the whole suite of applications of up to five devices each. And thankfully for us, it works for a mix of PC Windows and MacOS devices (including Android and iOS), including documents can be freely cross-shared between these devices and still work. Word has more features than my 2016 Office or whatever it was I had—I'm still figuring it out but I am really liking the new Word so far. Of course with the subscription you stay current on the versions. I've paid for multiple purchased version in the past (and lost formatting and some important text in one excel document), so this subscription at least reduces the periodic Microsoft cash hemorrhages to a steady leaching.

~~~

Anyway, I'm not pouring through Rancor Pit profiles to look for email addresses. If you are currently registered with a Microsoft email, I strongly suggest you update it to the different one. Using the forums built-in access recovery process is the most secure if it needs to be used, and you need a valid email address on file that will not reject Rancor Pit emails as spam to use that feature. So this is not just for PM notifications.

And speaking of that, while you are in your Profile, please make sure that you at least have the following option:

Quote:
Pop up window on new Private Message: Yes

You can turn off emails if you want but you need to not ignore staff PMs. This is a nice reminder if you forget to check PMs.

One final Profile FYI. I have the admin console setting to update your forum times based on local daylight savings times settings, but it apparently doesn't work. So I have to flip my Profile timezone setting between GMT-4 and GMT-5 twice a year. FYI if you care about the site reflecting the correct post times for you. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain too. I have come to hate Microsoft for their mismanagement of Xbox Live Gold. I am currently fighting with them over them ending my membership a day early for the third year in a row.
As to forums, I never understood why people cannot unsubscribe from a community they no longer wish to be part of, instead of reporting it spam. Sadly, some Email companies promote this by providing their own "Unsubscribe" button that will mark the email spam and send a notice to the originator and their web host (great for actual spam but poor for unsubscribing from wanted mailing lists).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: