The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droid Player Templates
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Droid Player Templates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Droid Player Templates Reply with quote

In my games I allow players to create droids with the same rules as player characters; 18 Attribute Dice, 7 Skill dice. I figured I'd make up some stock character templates for players looking to RP droids. From there they can modify their droids with attachments and modifications.

I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Astromech

DEX 2D
STR 2D
KNO 3D
PER 3D
MEC 4D
TEC 4D

Astromechs are designed to do repair jobs especially in space. From the factory they come equipped with magnetic feet, zero gravity maneuvering jets, an S-Comp, can store up to 10 hyperspace jumps, and a variety of tools.

Protocol Droid

DEX 2D
STR 2D
KNO 4D
PER 4D
MEC 3D
TEC 3D

Protocol droids are built for interacting with humans and other droids. Skills they are likely to improve are Alien Cultures, Bureaucracy, Persuade, Bargain, Planetary Systems, and the like. Protocol Droids come equipped with a translation unit that brings their language skill up to 10D that does not include their starting 7D of skill dice.

Bodyguard Droid

DEX 4D
STR 4D
KNO 2D
PER 3D
MEC 3D
TEC 2D

Bodyguard droids are built to defend at any cost. Bodyguards come equipped with +1D armor with no DEX penalties, and an unconcealed, onboard 4D Blaster, 100 ammo, with standard blaster pistol ranges.

Assistant Droid

DEX 3D
STR 3D
KNO 3D
PER 3D
MEC 3D
TEC 3D

A droid designed to assist with whatever skills you're lacking, or to help you with whatever task you need. Assistant Droids are built with a variety of ports and extra room for attachments so they can meet their owners specific needs.

Labor Droid

DEX 3D
STR 6D
KNO 2D
PER 2D
MEC 2D
TEC 3D

Labor Droids are built to do heavy work. They come equipped with a heavy winch, +1D to lifting and a line caster. (For those who want to play a robot Wookiee)
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Zarn on Thu May 02, 2019 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For attachments, I suggest using the Advantage/Disadvantage & Special Ability system from D6 Space, as most come with an equivalent cost already built in. Basically, give them a special ability or advantage of some kind, then attribute it to technology.

In addition, using this system allows you to take a major Disadvantage for being a Slave / Property, which you can then trade in for more starting Dice and/or abilities.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Droid Player Templates Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
In my games I allow players to create droids with the same rules as player characters; 18 Attribute Dice, 7 Skill dice. I figured I'd make up some stock character templates for players looking to RP droids. From there they can modify their droids with attachments and modifications.

I'd love to hear what you guys think...

I don't allow droid PCs but I do allow a version of Shards ("Sha'ards") which inhabit droid bodies. I strongly feel all PCs of any allowable species should have exactly 18D in attributes. (I make no effort to balance species and NPCs of species to each other - Only PCs.) Looking at D6 Space could be helpful for advantages and special abilities, but IMO it goes a bit too far because it equates attribute to skill dice (1D in attributes = 4D in skills). I think all valuable advantages, disadvantages, and special abilities should equate to an appropriate number of skill dice. If attribute dice are a constant 18D for all PCs, then there is no need to equate attribute to skills.

Since they are all 18D attribute builds, I thought I would share my Shard templates. Yes, these all have attribute levels beyond what a mere droid of that type should have, but in my game that is no issue because all pure droids are NPCs. I view Shard characters as symbionts who have ability levels beyond the droid's programming.

(degree) Template Name [pictured model]

(1) Sha'ard Medical Droid [GH-7 Medical Droid]
Dex 3D
Kno 4D
Mec 3D
Per 3D
Str 2D
Tec 3D
Notes: I included the GH-7 because I wanted to include one droid originating in the prequels. And this one is also different in that he can hover with repulsorlift tech.

(2) Sha'ard Astromech Droid [R2 Astromech Droid]
Dex 2D
Kno 2D
Mec 4D
Per 2D
Str 3D
Tec 5D
Notes: These could really be almost any astromech droids, but I actually have had one player that told me she wanted to play a character just like R2-D2, so here is my Sha'ard version. Of course a player could choose this template and easily create a character with a similar appearance and abilities as Artoo with a very different personality.

(2) Sha'ard Repair Droid [LE Repair Droid]
Dex 3D
Kno 3D
Mec 3D
Per 3D
Str 2D
Tec 4D
Note: This is the more humanlike repair droid type of Leebo from Shadows of the Empire. Every single attribute has a different value than the astromech droid above.

(2) Scout Droid [Mark V Explorer Droid]
Dex 2D
Kno 3D
Mec 3D
Per 3D
Str 4D
Tec 3D
Notes: This is based on the Scout Droid template from Galaxy Guide 8 p.96. The added twist here is that the PC doesn't know that he is a Sha'ard and just thinks he is a droid. He had been damaged at some point resulting in the Sha'ard inside being in a coma-like state and the Sha'ard-Droid interface being damaged, so the PC still has access to all his skills but can't remember any events from before the "accident" aside from some vague fleeting images.

(3) Sha'ard Protocol Droid [B-3PO Protocol Droid]
Dex 2D
Kno 5D
Mec 3D
Per 3D
Str 2D
Tec 3D
Notes: This template is based on the Protocol Droid template from the game, which seems to have been created for the theoretical player that has their heart set on playing a character like Threepio. My twist is that the character is a greasy slick-talking con man type of character like Threepio was originally going to be before he turned into a worried butler. The original image for the template from 2E is similar to yet clearly not the same model of droid as C-3PO, so I made-up "3JL" as a predecessor model. Its appearance does somewhat differentiate the character from Threepio.

(5) Sha'ard Labor Droid [BLX Labor Droid]
Dex 3D
Kno 3D
Mec 3D
Per 2D
Str 4D
Tec 3D
Notes: The same model as Bollux from Brian Daley's Han Solo Adventures. My concept for this template type is a very depressed and negative droid inspired by Marvin from The Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy series. He resents his species giving him the body of a menial 5th degree droid, as his intelligence and PC-caliber capabilities are far above and beyond his droid designation. He is extremely oppressed (both by actual and perceived oppressions).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Great comments guys!

Instead of dealing with the wild variances in cost in the various WEG books, a house rule in my games is all players start with 10D worth of equipment. Any dice left over is cashed out at 1000 credits per D, 300 credits per pip. For example: if a character chooses a 4D Blaster, then they will have 6D of dice left to choose equipment, or cash out.

I planned on doing the same thing for droids. They would have to pay for their factory equipped attachments out of their 10D, or get rid of it. I don't have a conversion rate for all the attachments in the game yet, (how many dice are magnetic feet worth?) but the concept is there.

In the films Astromechs are seen acting as co-pilot about as often as they are repairing things. Hence my choice to give them 4D in both attributes for the template. If I were buying a droid to act primarily as a mechanic and a co-pilot, I would want them to be at a professional level of piloting.

Also, If I reduce MEC to 3D, I need to redistribute that die somewhere, and I don't see a good place to put it. I could break it down to pips and spread it out I suppose.

When I wrote up my D6 Star Trek game, I made it so all players started with 18D attributes and that no attribute went over 5D. I want a balanced experience for my players so none of them feel like another player has an advantage or disadvantage over them. I don't always stick to those rules in Star Wars, but I do like to use them as guidelines.

Zarn - In regards to a Move rating, I left that open ended, knowing that people can change that and that different models of droids will have different forms of locomotion. That's also why I went with Astromech instead of a specific model. BB-88 and R2-D2 are both astromech droids but are very different models.

CRMcNeill - As insightful as ever. I tend to avoid Advantage/disadvantage systems. I find 18D Attributes and 7D skills is a nice starting place. My games tend to be slow growth games. A skill at 4D is a skill at a professional level, and I hold fast to that. I also recognize that other people don't GM the way I do and D6 Space is a great resource.

Droids not needing to eat, drink, breathe or recharge often is a great trade off for the Slave/Property aspect of the character. Plus they can survive in space without gear.

Whill - Great templates! I can see why you made the choices you made with each of the templates. I also understand why you make them Shards instead of regular droids. I'm cool with that.

Ideally there would be multiple templates for the same type of droid. Like Astromech saboteur, or Protocol Droid Conman.

What did you guys think of the Bodyguard droid and the Labor Droid?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: