The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Using Mini-Six static defenses in my game
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Using Mini-Six static defenses in my game
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Using Mini-Six static defenses in my game Reply with quote

I'm starting a new campaign and going with a modified version of Mini-Six's static damage. I see the change as when D&D went from THACO to attack bonuses.....

Dodge Defense: Dodge x 3 + pips + cover (situational).

So a Stormtrooper would have a Dodge Defense of 13 (4d+1 Dodge + cover).
The distances would then modify my blaster shot to hit the stormtrooper (or anyone else) like this:

Point Blank/ Hand-to-Hand +10,
Short Range +5
Medium Range -5
Long Range -10

So if I have a 4d+2 in blaster, and I’m attacking a Stormtrooper at short range who has 1/4 coverage, it may go like this:

Roll my attack and get a 16. I’d add a +5 because of the range, for a total hit of 21. Great! His regular defense is a 13, and his 1/4 cover (+1D (or an average of 3-4, not sure yet) to his defense) modified it to a 17. I still hit...

At Medium range I would have totally missed with an 11. It would have taken me a Character Point or two to hit the trooper. Then to determine damage, a static Soak Defense.

Soak: Strength x 3 + pip + armor

So our stormtrooper (2d STR) has a Soak of 8 vs. blasters and 10 vs. physical damage (their armor grants a 1d vs. physical damage, so I’m taking the avg. and rounding up).

If my 4d damage blaster pistol hits him for an average of 14, I beat his soak by 6, meaning I’ve now left him Wounded. If he wanted to spend a Character Point to add to his soak, he could–a CP would let you add a 1d to Soak.

If a character wants to do a full defense (full dodge) it adds a +10 to their defense.

Is it perfect? Probably not. But neither was d6 as written. It’s still super fun though.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at this recently, and found myself wondering if it might be more appropriate to use x4 instead of x3, seeing as how the odds on results for multiple D come out to an average result of 3.5 per D.

An alternate version of this would be to continue to use the x3 multiplier, plus pips, but add an additional +1D rolled at the beginning of combat to add a little random flavor to the Static Defense values.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, for the less math savvy, you could multiply by 7 and then divide by 2 for a more consistent average.

But, since the pip system is based on 3 being the "average" roll, multiplying by 3 is also a good choice.

One thing I don't like is that there is no "standard" range. Short range applies a +5 on the roll, while medium imposes a -5. So at no time is the shooter ever actually using his "base skill" to attack.

I would think that medium range should be a +0 modifier. I'm fine with keeping long a -10.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately, it boils down to whether you think the 1D=3.5 average result should be rounded down to 3 or up to 4. Rounding it up to 4 would represent slightly above-average dice results, thus making targets somewhat more difficult to hit, while down to 3 shades the results slightly in the other direction. YMMV.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Ultimately, it boils down to whether you think the 1D=3.5 average result should be rounded down to 3 or up to 4. Rounding it up to 4 would represent slightly above-average dice results, thus making targets somewhat more difficult to hit, while down to 3 shades the results slightly in the other direction. YMMV.
If the wild die is used, 4 points is closer than 3 points to the expected value.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were my game, I'd round down, and apply use this rule for all mooks.

For villains, I'd roll. PCs would have the option of rolling or not, BUT, with this rule, all reaction skills would always be free actions whether rolled or not.

(Or, you could rule that a character opting to use static defense must round down, but does not incur a MAP).
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
If the wild die is used, 4 points is closer than 3 points to the expected value.

Though, consider that a 1 on the wild die also results in a die being removed.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. If you ignore the 1's taking away the highest die and the 1, then the average is for the wild die is 4.2. I haven't quite worked out what effect the 1 has on the dice total.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this system, are we taking MAPs into account? In other words, are reactions skills now "free actions" all the time?
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran one game using (Defensive stat)x3 for the static defense value and it was too low. In my next game I switched to x4. That has been working reasonably well. The players usually still hit unless they start multi actioning like crazy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: