The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Letting Go...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Letting Go... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Yeah, this is just going to go in a circle. When a person can hand-wave the acceptance of Maul surviving, yet complains about piloting ability and how a character is described in The Force Awakens (or The Last Jedi), then they are not someone who will ever change their mind.

Nor will they be able to change the mind of people who enjoyed the new Star Wars films...even from those of us who originally saw Star Wars when it came out in '77. Some of us "old fans" can actually enjoy the new movies and don't put on our nostalgia goggles (nice one on that one Whill) when we go to see the new Star Wars films.

As one whom also saw the originals in 1977-83, Special Editions in '97, then the Prequels '99-'05; I had high hopes for the Sequels.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treefrog wrote:
Grimace wrote:
Yeah, this is just going to go in a circle. When a person can hand-wave the acceptance of Maul surviving, yet complains about piloting ability and how a character is described in The Force Awakens (or The Last Jedi), then they are not someone who will ever change their mind.

Nor will they be able to change the mind of people who enjoyed the new Star Wars films...even from those of us who originally saw Star Wars when it came out in '77. Some of us "old fans" can actually enjoy the new movies and don't put on our nostalgia goggles (nice one on that one Whill) when we go to see the new Star Wars films.

As one whom also saw the originals in 1977-83, Special Editions in '97, then the Prequels '99-'05; I had high hopes for the Sequels.

ZOMG, Treefrog's back! Hi, Thor! Long time, no see! 8)

But yeah, I also saw the originals in 1977-83, Special Editions in '97, then the Prequels '99-'05. And I also had high hopes for the Sequels. I walked out of TFA disappointed because it felt like a rehash of ANH. (TFA has since grown on me after repeated viewings at home.) Disney apparently heard our complaints about TFA being too much of a retread of ANH, so TLJ went in the complete opposite direction and I walked out of TLJ disappointed because they completely subverted everything we thought we knew about the Force and about Luke Skywalker's character and personality.

Sometimes you just can't win for losing.

The reason that Rogue One is my current favorite is because it didn't have to fulfill any expectations about the Force (since Chirrut's connection to the Force was left vague and yet still sincere), it didn't have to involve any sort of connection to the Skywalker saga, and it retains enough elements of Star Wars that it honestly felt like a very authentic Star Wars movie. Its intention was to feel seamless when viewed directly before ANH as if the two movies were a duology and it succeeded beyond all expectations. Unlike the prequels or sequels, it didn't feel at all pretentious about being a Star Wars film (if that makes any sense).

Last edited by Sutehp on Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had high hopes for the Prequels. I was let down. But it didn't stop me from watching all three of them. Nor did it stop me from watching the Sequels and the stand-alone movies.

Yet you seem incapable of looking past a less-than-enjoyable movie and going to (and even enjoying) the new movies. Even new movies made by completely different directors who you have never seen make a Star Wars movie.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
I had high hopes for the Prequels. I was let down. But it didn't stop me from watching all three of them. Nor did it stop me from watching the Sequels and the stand-alone movies.

Yet you seem incapable of looking past a less-than-enjoyable movie and going to (and even enjoying) the new movies. Even new movies made by completely different directors who you have never seen make a Star Wars movie.

In an effort to not antagonize others, I will refrain from speaking of the most recent SW film.

With so many fans split on TLJ, what do you think will it take to "fix" the sequels in Episode IX?
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, man, this is going to be a tough one to pull off. My thoughts are that they’ve got to treat Rey — the mystery of her importance — as an ongoing concern, TLJ’s “revelation” notwithstanding (it could be a red herring to some degree or other). By making her central to the story it’s the only way to unify the ST. I mean she can’t just be someone who happens to be there to counter the threats; she somehow has to be related to everything that is going on.

Maybe the finale could take place on Mustafar. You know, let’s find the MacGuffin in Vader’s castle, and maybe someone will fall in the lava.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can’t bring back Snoke, but there could be more of his species out in the Unknown Regions who are still a force to be reckoned with. It would be nice if they went to the UR at all after all the hints that have been dropped. And I still just can’t take Kylo Ren seriously as the big bad.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
They can’t bring back Snoke, but there could be more of his species out in the Unknown Regions who are still a force to be reckoned with. It would be nice if they went to the UR at all after all the hints that have been dropped.

I wouldn't mind a canon look at the Unknown Regions myself. Not to mention some posthumous character development for Snoke after he was given such a buildup in TFA and then so unceremoniously bumped off in TLJ.

Falconer wrote:
And I still just can’t take Kylo Ren seriously as the big bad.

I agree with you here. His brattyness rivals that of Anakin in AOTC (like grandfather, like grandson?) and it was/is hard to take either of them seriously for that reason. And with Snoke already dead, what is there to motivate Kylo Ren to pull a Heel-Face Turn now, even if it wasn't already obvious that Kylo Ren is irredeemable?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: