The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Best Design
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Best Design Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Best Design Reply with quote

Does anyone else design their own ships... or make really cool mods that completely transform their current one?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my group did a number of things to the Mobequet Medium Freighters.

The "Vomit Comets" were landing craft, redesigned for *VERY* quick entry to a planet, and then a quick landing (To allow for the least time of anti-spacecraft batteries to fire at them.), then ramps were dropped from the sides to allow for rapid deployment of troops and speeders, while E-WHB turrets provided fire support.

Then, there's the "B.O.B.". It stands for "Big Ootaen Battleship", another Mobequet. This one had the "Holes" filled in on the ship (A Mobequet is described by us as two small boxes and a can of coke on its side attached at the top by a empty paper towel roll), giving us one long body. This was filled with weapons, acoutriments, droids to run everything, a small speeder bay for the Armoured Limo, and *LOTS* of luxury items. And no cargo space.

In fact, we couldn't QUITE squeeze in a olympic-sized swimming pool. Just a metre short or so. Sad
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to say..... wow....

the mobquet(sp?) does it happen to look like this?
http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0SVM2CECUC7D18KJY3GRD03I0 ?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Here's a couple of Mobquet Medium Freighters here: http://www.xwaupgrade.com/screenshots/mob/mob.jpg

And here's the deckplans for the stock models: http://toris.starwars-rpg.net/Mobquet%20Medium%20Bulk%20Freighter.gif

We called the B.O.B. a battleship, but it wasn't really one. Just a heavily modified medium freighter.

Even had Luke Skywalker over once. He was impressed, and liked our chef droid's "Cream of Womprat" soup. Very Happy
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by desing your own ships? Do you mean create stats from scratch or do you mean create images?

Wanted Poster
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently creating a ship from scratch which I am handing out to the PC's for my new campaign. Its basically a heavy freighter with about 1300 tons of cargo space in a special container set-up, 2 weapon systems (turret and front-fireing) and a small tractor beam. I'm doing this cause there are no space ships like I want for the campaign. Basically a nice large cargo space, flyable with only a single person (though difficult), easily modifyable for their individual needs, etc. The containers might even removed to make room for something like a small star-fighter launch-bay if they so desire...

Also I have a Rather nifty design in mind which I am going to create in Illustrator today, if I have time.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I create new ships all the time, and as I have the time and desire, I draw up images for reference (otherwise I write really detailed descriptives). One of my most used designs was a Mon-Cal armored shuttle I assigned to a group of players on special detachment from Admiral Ackbar. It was a nice ship, roughly the size of a stock light freighter, with the smooth organic lines of the Mon-Cal starships, and a pair of blaster cannons in a retractable turret atop the ship. It was orriginally intended as a sort of "Captain's Skiff" but was issued to the characters in an emergeancy situation.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By design, i mean like, your own style of designs, hull, shielding, etc...

some of the stuff we put in our ships is WAAAAY off the starwars type of stuff but we still use it like madmen...

ill tell you the rest of the story later, im in a hurry right now...
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a lot of write-ups, but, due to lack of drawing ability, I don't do much in the way of art.

But I get bored easily, and write. A lot.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have created various ships from time to time. Somewhere in this very forum should still be my Twin Wing thread. I've often had problems with making ships too powerful. For instance, I've got what I called a New Republic Light Fighter Carrier. As far as being a fighter carrier goes, it's got a serious problem as it can only carry four fighters so three are required just for a squadron to get to an area. But it's main armament is what makes this thing so freakin powerful. Two troton torp batteries and two concussion missile batteries. They both fire a large number of torps and missiles each time they fire, something like fourteen or better each and each torp or missile did individual damage. Like 9D for the torps and 8D for the missiles. And all hit together. At the time I only had the second edition GM screen, second edition, revised and expanded, corebook, and DE sourcebook. So I looked up the Eclipse since it had the most shields and hull die. What I got was that in like two salvos tops from both torp launchers the Eclipse would have been history. I mean, this thing could probably have destoryed the Death Star without needing the exshuast port in half the amount of time it took to wage the entire Battle of Yavin. Though it's weakspot was that if you got behind it there was virtually no way it could defend itself. But infront of it and you were toast.

Wanted Poster
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, my ship design is done. Complete with (still hand drawn) floorplan and penciled drawing. Its rather large for a space transport with 55 meters, but its definately no capital ship yet. Able to carry 1300 tons of cargo in specialized containers and having lots of room to spare for modifications (the PC's have two crack technicians, gotta give them something to do... hehe).

However, the stats are rather mediocre. Space move of 4, 1d maneuverability, 4d hull, 1d shields, 3x Hyperspace multiplier... Hope they invest some of their money on upgrades or they will have a hard time later in the game... Oh well, half of the ship belongs to a crazed Ugor NPC gambler (with strange italian accent) so he's got a saying on that too... =)
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehlin Yew wrote:
By design, i mean like, your own style of designs, hull, shielding, etc...

Um, yeah, to my knowledge there is no Armored Mon-Calamari shuttle in the Star Wars books. It was my own design. I have write ups and drawings I made of it back when I created it.
Lord Aramus
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of these I am going to have to redo all my old sketches of the "ugly" starfighter variants I came up with while I was in high school.

I had the TIE-X, Y-Tie Avenger, B-TIE and the Y-Bomber

God I need to find my old game notes.....
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever done something like, upgrading hull with new metals, upgrading shields with new tech? im talking like past the 'good' 4d hull, maybe like 8d.
8d shields?

diff kinds of weaps?
Lord Aramus
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be willing to bet that most game groups have done that. But it does tend to stymie the creative flow of the game..

when everything kills in 1 or makes you invinceable to the rest of the known universe.

As I always say, "everything in moderation"

My main argument is if it took over a thousand generations of galactic republic for tech to get to its current level in starwars, then why would it suddenly start advancing in the blink of an eye?

In starwars, 30 year old technology might be a bit aged and worn out, but for the most part its still capable of putting up a fight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: