The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fuel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Fuel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Fuel Reply with quote

According to the new canon, there are three basic types of fuel used in the Star Wars universe.

Tibanna Gas is what is used to to fuel the great turbo lasers on starships. Lando Calrissian's mining station on Bespin mined this gas.

Rhydonium is a liquid fuel (looks like then, melted mercury) for normal space and atmospheric operations.

Hypermatter fuels a ship's hyperdrive.

FUEL IN THE GAME

You may want to refrain from this level of detail and just consider that the ship's fuel consumption needs are taken care of with the Consumables fee: 10 x total capacity of crew and passengers x Conumables rating.

Or you could use the old Fuel Cell method given in GG6 (First Edition version) to gauge how much to charge for fuel.

For example, under the GG6 rule, a freighter captain will pay 10 credits per recharged fuel cell, and it will take 1 hour per fuel cell to fully recharge the ship's fuel cells.

On a typical trip, a ship will go through 3 fuel cells. It costs 1 cell to enter hyperspace. Another cell will power the ship for 6 hours in hyperspace. And, 1 cell is used per hour of atmospheric flight.

In this case, it will take 3 hours to refuel the ship, with a total cost of 30 credits.

If you've got time on your hands, you can pay half rate (5 credits per cell), but it takes one day to recharge one cell. 3 cells will take 3 days to fully recharge and cost 15 credits total.

If you're in a hurry, you can have the cells replaced at 4/hr. This costs 50 Cr per cell. So you could have your ship fully recharged in 45 minutes, and it will cost you 150 credits.

And, if cost is no exception, then you can just replace the old cells with new one at a cost of 500 credits per cell. This can be done at a rate of 20 cells per hour.

If you handwave that the "fuel" being used is whatever canon says is required,then I don't see why you couldn't still use the price listed in GG6.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG6 FUEL CONSUMPTION

I've always liked the idea of fuel use in Star Wars as I'm a details guy. But, I don't like a lot of unnecessary bookkeeping, so I don't mind just thinking that Fuel is taken care of using the ship's Consumables rating.

When first looking at the GG6 Fuel Use Chart, it can look like its too much work for it brings to the game. I take the simple approach. And, that is, I only check fuel at certain times, and I always forgive fractions in the favor of the players.

For example, the GG6 Fuel Use Chart says...

Quote:
A standard freighter will consume 1 cell when...

Entering Hyperspace.
Spending Six Hours In Hyperspace.

Spend One Month of Realspace Operations. 730 hours.
Spend One Hour in Space Combat.

Spend One Hour of Atmospheric Flight.

TYPICAL FUEL USE

So, I want to make this easy. I don't want to figure exact hours of use or partial fuel cell expenditure. But, I do want fuel cells to be an expense for the players.

What I do is: I only look at hyperspace journeys and long distance atmospheric journeys. And, I always drop fractions.

Hyperspace Journeys

Let's say the PCs are on Tatooine and they travel to Alderaan. Their trip is the standard duration of 7 hours.

I'd charge the ship 2 Fuel Cells. One cell to enter hyperspace and one for six hours in hyperspace.

I don't care that they went 7 hours on one fuel cell. I wouldn't care if they went 11 hours on one fuel cell. At 12 hours (on up to 23 hours), I'll charge them a second cell for that trip. And so on.

And, that's it.

Don't Worry About It.

A month of real space operations is a LONG time--over 730 hours--so I never really reference that. Space combat rarely lasts an hour, especially when the combat round is five seconds long, so I don't worry about that.

Ship to orbit time is so fast that it's not worth counting as Atmospheric maneuvering.

Long Distance Atmospheric Journeys.

When the players spend a lot of time in a world's atmosphere, traveling an hour or more, then I will count one fuel cell per hour. I drop fractions as I do with hyperspace journeys.

Sublight Bench Marks in the 2E R&E rulebook says that, roughly, it takes about 5 minutes to fly from orbit to a safe jump distance, which is why I don't worry about this.

It takes about 15 minutes to fly from orbit to a planet's moon.

It takes 2-6 hours to fly from a planet to its nearest neighbor.

It takes 10-48 hours to fly from a system's star to the outer edges of that star system.

With these benchmarks in mind, I will quickly guestimate the number of cells needed, but, again, I only do this when a ship makes a long distance journey that takes some time.

FUEL CELL CAPACITY

GG6 says that a standard freighter carries 50 cells. You can, of course, play around with that number if you want to add character to some vessels.

"Yeah, the old bird has 54 cell slots, but every third one is burned out. I'm running on 36 cells right now. I've got to find that short."

NOTE: That GG6 provides upgrades that Players can get for their ship, including Fuel Converters, which will eliminate or reduce the cost of replacing/recharging fuel cells.

WHY BOTHER?

Why bother with Fuel Cells at all? Certainly, you don't have to. The cost for fuel cells is pretty cheap. Take that Tatooine to Alderaan hop I mention above. At standard recharge rates, that would cost the ship's captain 20 credits to recharge those to cells, and it would take about two hours to do so. That's not a big deal when the docking fee for an Imperial Class Starport is 150 credits per day, and a 160 credits for consumables. Basically, the consumables just went up 20 credits to 180.

Some GMs may not want to deal with this and just rely on the Consumables charge to fill the ship's fuel needs.

I like using fuel cells for a number of reasons:

1. It adds up! It's a resource that costs the players money. Having no money is a push to start smuggling or otherwise find a way to get more money to keep the ship running. Add the docking fee to the consumables charge. Add that to any special ship needs, like fresh food. Add in the price of the various licenses need to run the ship--permits and such. Add in the ship payment to the loan shark. With the fuel cells on top of this, it will add up.

2. It's not that hard to keep up with it, as I've explained above.

3. It adds some "realism" to running a ship, especially in situations as described above where a third of the cells do not work!

4. It gives the Astrogater something to think about when plotting Hyperspace courses. If playing with fuel cells, it costs the players money to stay in hyperspace longer on safe trips.

5. 50 cells is A LOT. Player may not replace them often because they've got so many. Then...they are damaged in combat, or the players ignore it for so long, that they end up without enough fuel to get to where they are going. This can create some interesting situations in the game.

6. You can guestimate how long a ship needs to be docked before its ready to fly again, and this can lead to some interesting roleplaying encounters.

"Lessee. That's 100 for the dock. 160 for the consumables. And, you need two cells, which at standard rates, will cost you 20. It'll take three hours and cost 280 total, but both my service droids are at the other docks. I'll have her ready for you in about 10 hours. But, since you said that you're looking to get out of here ASAP, I can replace the two cells for 25 each. I'll have to pull the two servos to help. To bump 'em, that'll be 300 each, and I'll oversee the work myself. But, I'll throw in the dock fee for today. I'll have her spaceworthy and ready to go in less than two hours--say an hour and a half. And, that'll run ya 810. Deal?"
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REPULSORLIFT FUEL

The Sourcebook states that repulsolift drives are manufactured to be easily converted to several types of fuel use: Solar power, hydrocarbons, fission, and fusion are the most common types of fuel.
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always figured that repulsorlifts were mainly electrically powered, and that the turbines that control speed and maneuvering were what might potentially require fuel (there are electric turbines, but also other kinds of course).

Personally, I am thinking I may adapt the "endurance" die code from the house rules subforum for this function, as I agree with you that paperwork sucks. My antipathy for it is a large part of why I always loved the D6 system in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: