The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tips For Running 1E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Tips For Running 1E Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Tips For Running 1E Reply with quote

If you have any tips or pointers for running a fun 1E game, rules as written, then please post them in this thread for easy pickings of new 1E players!

We're going in, and we're going in full throttle.

(Comms traffic from the Battle of Yavin.)
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKILL DESCRIPTIONS

Read the skill descriptions several times and get to know them. There is tons of great information in those descriptions that will help you run your game. Not only will you see suggestions on how to use the basic skills in the game, but you'll come across game rules like (and more stuff that I haven't listed)...

The vehicle Damage categories are located in the Technical description.

Generic strength/hull codes are listed under the Technical description.

How to use the time increments suggested for task use is in the Technical description.

Bargaining rules are listed under the Bargain skill.

Language rules are listed under the Language skill.

Chase rules are listed under the Mechanical description.

Orneriness is described under the Beast Riding skill.
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roll20 have a sheet for 1E now, so using the old one with it's wild die rolls isn't necessary any more.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OuttaWindu wrote:
Roll20 have a sheet for 1E now, so using the old one with it's wild die rolls isn't necessary any more.

This makes no sense to me.

You know that there is no Wild Die in 1E, right?
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hence, I suppose, the corrected sheet.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
OuttaWindu wrote:

Ouch, I'm pretty sure he knows that. I'm pretty sure he's saying they used to not have a sheet for 1e so the sheet they had to use for 1e had the wild die built in, but now they have a 1e sheet without the wild die.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
OuttaWindu wrote:

Ouch, I'm pretty sure he knows that. I'm pretty sure he's saying they used to not have a sheet for 1e so the sheet they had to use for 1e had the wild die built in, but now they have a 1e sheet without the wild die.

I wasn't getting that from the way he wrote it. But, if that's the case, then I say cool beans.

I wasn't trying to be snarky, btw. I was sincere. I didn't understand what he was saying.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule for Zero G are in the Planet's Collection, page 21 (or in Planets of the Galaxy Vol. 1).
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Yeah that's what I meant.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CREATURES

Rules for using beasties in your 1E game are listed in the Sourcebook, page 84. Just like everything else in 1E, the rules are super simple and meant to get you playing as quick as possible.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMMO

You may have noticed that 1E weapons do not indicate ammunition capacity for a weapon, except for one or two low-ammo weapons (like the Wookiee Bowcaster which must be reloaded and cocked after six shots).

In 2E, you'll see ammo capacity like 50 and 100.

In my 2E games, I tracked every shot the players made, and I'm here to tell you that the 1E way is better. Just don't bother with it. The weapons hold o much ammo that it was never a problem for my players who played in a 7 year mega-campaign. Not once did a character run out of ammo during a blaster fight unless it was the result of a Wild Die complication.

Can you think of a single time that a blaster was shown being re-loaded in the original trilogy (on which 1E is based)? Nope.

Just let the players blast away unless (1.) you've created some new, low-ammo weapon (and in that case, track it), or (2.) you just want to use the idea of running low on ammo as being a story point or an obstacle that the PCs must overcome.

Recharging powerpacks is extremely easy if the players have a ship or somewhere close where they can be recharged. This shouldn't be an issue, most of the time.

Tibanna Gas is probably where the supply will run low--if the GM wants to introduce this problem to his game.

Normally, though, just assume a PC has ammo for his weapon. Don't bother tracking. Just go to town and have fun blasting away.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATTRIBUTES

Most characters in the game have attributes in the normal human range of 2D-4D. Aliens expand that range from 1D-5D.

Most NPC characters have attributes that add up to 12D and fall within the appropriate range (either 2D-4D or 1D-5D). Player Characters are Heroes, so their stats add up to 18D but still fall within the appropriate range.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASTROGATION

The original base unit for astrogation was "days" in the orignal 1E core rulebook. WEG changed this to "hours", and stated that it was a mis-print in the original book.

So, the Astrogation Chart and Gazetteer in the Charts & Tables section at the back of the book should read in units of hours and not days.

When a navigator alters the Astrogation difficulty, it is +1 for every hour saved and -1 for every hour added to the trip.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STUN

In 1E, if the STR roll is higher than damage, then the target is stunned. This works really well in the game except when you get to very strong creatures, like a Wookiee or a Rancor.

If you read the description of the Rancor in the Sourcebook (including the side-story), you'll see that the intent for that particular creature is to break the rule. It is not affected by Stun. Blaster bolts bounce off the creature's thick skin.

In mechanical terms, this is a GM decision.

Read entry #3 on page 28 of the 1E Core rulebook, in the boxed section titled, "Eight Useful Things To Remember About Gamemastering."

Also, check out the Refereeing paragraph on page 26.

In fact, that whole, short chapter is worth a read--and a re-read from time to time.

DAMAGE and the RULES COMPANION

If you want to bring it into your game, the Rules Companion substitutes new Damage charts for the game.

First, it splits the charts for Stun and normal Blaster damage. It becomes possible to shrug off a Stun result, but low defense STR rolls vs. Stun damage result in stronger stun penalties.

Second, on the normal Blaster damage chart, it becomes possible to shrug off Stuns if the STR defense roll is greater than twice the Damage.

Obviously, this new Damage chart would work well for the Rancor, with their huge STR codes. It will often shrug off Stun results. But, using this will also allow normal targets, like Stormtroopers, to get lucky sometimes and shrug off a stun if hit by a blaster bolt.

Either system works well in 1E, the GM Call method discussed at the top of this post or the revised Stun and Damage charts from the Rules Companion.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STR RATING

In the past, when I've run D6 Star Wars games and allowed players to create their own characters from scratch, invariably the STR rating for that character--no matter what it is--is maxed out. 4D if human. 5D if alien.

Players do this in an effort to keep their characters alive in what can be a very dangerous game (1E is dangerous).

But, let me direct your attention to some of the BIG DAMN HEROES in the game...

Luke Skywalker STR 3D

Princess Leia Organa STR 3D

Han Solo STR 3D

Out of the top three Star Warriors, there's not a single 4D in the bunch.

Other characters...

Chewbacca STR 5D (max for aliens; makes sense)

Mon Mothma STR 2D

Lando Calrissian STR 2D+2

Artoo-Detoo STR 3D

See-Threepio STR 2D

Obi-Wan Kenobi STR 3D

Yoda STR 3D

Boba Fett STR 3D+2

Darth Vader STR 3D

Those are all of the characters out of the Sourcebook. Except for Chewie, again, there's not a 4D in the bunch.

To me, this is a reason to use Templates in your game. Either the ones that are provided by the game or templates that you devise. Allow your players to pick a template and then customize the skills, as is noted in the 1E book.

This will keep your game more in-line with the reality of the universe. Human attributes run from 2D to 4D. 4D is the highest human achievement, so it should be reserved for special, expert, extreme characters. And, you can control this by using templates.

Judging by the above, the physically weaker characters are given 2D STR. 3D is hero level. I'm a little surprised at Lando's STR, but I guess it does fit since he's a lover and not a fighter.

How does Vader lift that Rebel with one hand aboard the Tantive IV in the beginning of ANH? He uses the Force. He's not doing that with a 3D STR rating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: