The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark Side Power Points... O_o
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Dark Side Power Points... O_o Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A jedi could very easily use affect mind to make the gammoreans believe that they were being choked, when it wasn't actually happening. They just end up falling unconcious.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also belive in the road to hell being laid with good intentions. That is to say that a jedi over using the force to constantly "help" others to the point of taking over their lives can lead to the dark side.

Eventually the jedi's way is the best and only way, and forcing these rules on you is for your "own good" Twisted Evil
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Side Power Points... O_o Reply with quote

Kehlin Yew wrote:
If one of your Jedi used darkside powers to defeat a sith/darkside adept or soemthing like that, would you still give them a DSP?

Yes. Absolutely.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, with Volar. And i have also seen a gm who gave out 2 for that, one for giving into the quick and easy path and the other for using a Dark side power...
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I greatly appreciate all your opinions
Jedi Knight Jael Weiss
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would.

No matter what the intent, using evil is still evil. So a character who used Force Lightning to light a fire so he and his friend can survive in a cold environment overnight would still get a Dark Side Point.

One thing I would be interested in getting opinions on is this: The Jedi are only supposed to use the Force for defense, not attack. However, Yoda used the Force when he struck at Emperor Palpatine after the Emperor used Force Lightning on Yoda in Episode III. Would you consider that a touch with the Dark Side? Or did Yoda use a non-Dark-Side power against a legitimate evil and therefore would not have gained a DSP?

Jael...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The films are iffy when it comes to deciding rpg terms. The directors do not have to worry about them. Otherwise yoda would have racked up several. 2 for the force push on the guards, 1 for the force push on palp, and 2 from the redirecting FL against palp and dokou...
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Yoda used Force Push with the intent to harm the guards, then yes, he'd desreve a DSP or two. If he used it with the intent of merely getting them out of the way, then I don't think he'd incure any DSPs. As for redirecting the Force Lightning, I'm not sure he'd incure any DSPs. Their the ones using it, he's merely directing it back towards them in a circuit. He's not actual using a dark side power himself, but reflecting someone elses dark side power back at them.

Wanted Poster
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, the RPG created rules about waht was light and dark and then the universe expanded beyond those definitons and came to a grey area that's harder to define.

For example: Yaddle, the Yoda look-a-like from Episode 1 was a master of "the ancient and forbidden Jedi art of Morichro, a method for killing a being without using the Dark Side of the Force".

Intent has a large play in things, but some things; like the above example should be plot points for RPG's and nothing else.

Ultimatly the GM should look at intent and effects. Yoda force pushing the guards into the wall was an attack, but was done calmly and was designed to render them unconscious, and only unconscious. (I assume.) Ultimatly, had the guards not been knocked out they would have engaged Yoda and could have been injured in the ensuing lightsaber battle. If seen as a power not inherintly evil or based on dark side power, used for the best of the situation, used in peace, does that not seem to be acceptable? Now had "force push" been dark on it's own, or a different intent; well - different story.

I wouldn't defend every action in the movies, ect - but some can be looked at differently. I had a hard time with the new uses of the force in the prequels, but overall have become more open to them after really looking at what occured. In my new view I see Yoda's warning to Luke as an old Jedi teaching; the line is thin and hard to see. Especially if you're the son of Vader, had only a couple years of Jedi training, and have problems controling your emotions. Under those conditions Yoda has every reason to be concerned with how Luke uses his powers. Telling him not to use the force to attack is a good warning to keep him out of trouble. If the jedi couldn't use the force to attack in the RPG world, lightsaber combat would be very different - as it is, the jedi gains considerable damage dice and almost can't miss a non-jedi.

JMO
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
If Yoda used Force Push with the intent to harm the guards, then yes, he'd desreve a DSP or two. If he used it with the intent of merely getting them out of the way, then I don't think he'd incure any DSPs. As for redirecting the Force Lightning, I'm not sure he'd incure any DSPs. Their the ones using it, he's merely directing it back towards them in a circuit. He's not actual using a dark side power himself, but reflecting someone elses dark side power back at them.

I agree with the pushing of the guards, it depends whether he was trying to injure them, or merely moving them away. On the lightning though, there is that scene in Ep II where Yoda first Absorbs the lightning, then throws it back out. I see that as a lot more than simple redirection, and would definately call a DSP on a player who did that. On the other hand, whose to say Yoda did not then go and atone?
Esjs
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defence, never for attack.

I think this line has caused most of the controversy/confusion on what's OK for a Jedi to do. It seems to me a better word than "attack" would have been "aggression." The Jedi do attack when necessary (Yoda on Kashyyyk). But attacking out of anger or fear (Luke on the 2nd Death Star) is the path to the Dark Side.

"Esjs" == "Jess"
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on intent, and also if there are any better alternatives. But thet may be a tricky one to handle, unless you tell the player a better way to handle a situation...which sorta defeats the idea or role playing.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh guys, your way off topic... >_> *pushes everyone back to the question*
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops. Yes, using *evil* powers would get you a dark side point.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehlin Yew wrote:
Uhh guys, your way off topic... >_> *pushes everyone back to the question*

Is that a force push? I call DSP on that! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: