The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The LIBRARY of FAN-MADE SUPPLEMENTS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> The LIBRARY of FAN-MADE SUPPLEMENTS Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Galaxy Guide 14 The Dark Side Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
What do you guys think of the blurb for the back cover?

Overall, this is great! Thank you for putting a Revenge of the Sith quote citing the Emperor's Sith name, which is very timely anyway since the quote was repeated in the latest live action SW film. Just a few things...

Quote:
by Eric

This just seems mundane and incomplete. There aren't any known mononymous Erics, so whomever he is, I don't think he's earned it. On the credits page of the document, he is listed as the pseudonym Eric "Mod Sithson". I say use that full name after the "by" on the back cover, with or without the pseudonym's quotation marks (whichever you think looks better).

Quote:
• Five new templates: Fallen Jedi, Dark Jedi Warrior, Dark Side Sorceror, Dark Side Bounty Hunter, and Alien Sith Warrior.

Sorcerer

Quote:
• History of the Sith Empire ̶̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶e̶m̶p̶i̶r̶e̶ .

This prepositional phrase is not needed. There is nothing about "History of the Sith Empire" that inherently indicates it is a partial history or somehow doesn't go all the way to the end of its empire, so this phrase is superfluous. "History of the Sith Empire" alone should mean the entire history, unless otherwise indicated.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Galaxy Guide 14 The Dark Side Reply with quote

Corrections made and the link updated.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Galaxy Guide 14 The Dark Side Reply with quote

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqyy2gq0edfrjuk/galaxy_guide_14_back_cover_with_txt.jpg?dl=0

shootingwomprats wrote:
Corrections made and the link updated.

So I guess it was only a partial history of the Sith Empire. If so, then yes that looks good.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Galaxy Guide 14 The Dark Side Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So I guess it was only a partial history of the Sith Empire. If so, then yes that looks good.

That is correct. It was up to 2005 and included only what had appeared in the Dark Horse comics. And then, not all of it. Mostly the EU stuff from Empress Theta through the Ulic Qel-Droma stuff, but not all of it.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW "COVER" PAGES --> Galaxy Guide: The Dark Side

I kept forgetting but finally updated this PDF with shootingwomprats' shiny new color "front and back covers". I recommend everyone delete your old copy and redownloading it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded the new copy, but while the new cover is shiny, the interior text still needs editing. But it's a fanbook so what are you gonna do? Laughing
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Downloaded the new copy, but while the new cover is shiny, the interior text still needs editing. But it's a fanbook so what are you gonna do? Laughing

Oh yeah. I mean, all the fan books need attention of one sort or another. I wish I'd had the resources to work on the salvager's book some more. I could name two other projects that I was on that I wish I could track down every downloaded copy and correct them.

But, oh well. At least people are utilizing what's there, warts and all. Not to say that we didn't do our best at the time. Just, you make mistakes and this far after the fact, I kind of have to let it go.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another suggestion for the Library: Mini-Six. It is a published document, but it's available for free through Drive-Thru RPG.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Another suggestion for the Library: Mini-Six. It is a published document, but it's available for free through Drive-Thru RPG.

I added a link to it at the bottom.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI that sometimes URLs will change for documents in the Library, so a URL may become out-of-date if you have a direct link saved or one is posted on the forum (or elsewhere on the internet). If you get a "404 Not Found error" on a document's URL, go to the Library Index which should have the current URL linked. If you haven't already, I would suggest saving bookmarking the Library Index in your favorites.

Today I updated the Library to include IAG with 1e documents, and while I renamed the folder I also went ahead and modernized the URLs since the Index links had to be updated anyway. It only affected three document URLs. I test them after I update something, but if you ever find a dead link in the Library Index please PM me or create a post here to advise. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: R&E Character Templates Reply with quote

NEW --> R&E Character Templates

In my Avatar Project, I thought it would be cool to make PC Template images into avatars. R&E was the only officially published book with PC templates in color, so I thought the avatars from that book should be in color. I could not find color images for most of the R&E templates on the internet, so I decided to scan the template pages in R&E. As far as I know, all the digital documents "out there" which have these templates only have them in grayscale, so I thought I would kill two mynocks by also using the scans to create a color PDF document of the R&E character templates only. All the template pages say they can be reproduced for personal use so it shouldn't be a big deal to anyone.

This was the first PDF I made in a very long time, my first on mac, and my first in full-color. (Way back I made the first D6 Space Aliens and D6 Gamemaster's Aid & Screen PDFs for OpenD6.) The files size seems huge for a 23-page document, 108.8 MB. REUP is way longer and also in full-color, and it is 121 MB. Most of the avatars I've created are 100 dpi images but I scanned the R&E pages in 200 dpi for better resolution. I didn't resize the images - I only reoriented them and cropped them a bit, then pasted them on a blank back page that covered the width and height of all of them, which ended up being 1619 x 2177 pixels, so all the PDF pages would be the same size and none of the templates would appear slightly smaller or larger than each other. The TOC page I created from scratch and the cover page are the same size at the template pages (I made the front cover from the Wookieepedia image of the R&E cover so I actually enlarged it from the original, but it didn't become pixelated in doing so). When I view the web document in the Library in Mac Chrome, it comes up the width of my window at first but I get the View option to fit one page completely in the window and I can still read one page at a time (although the small template text is pretty small in that view). When I bring the actual document up in Mac Preview I can view two pages side-by-side at time and simulate the actual book.

Anyway, I don't know if I should do something to reduce the file size because it seems too high, and if so I'm not sure what to do except shrink the pages to a smaller size and remake the PDF that way. But how small is too small for it to still have a good viewing experience for everyone on the web and downloaded? I've already put a lot more time into this then I thought it would take and I am really sick of trial-and-error, so any advice would be appreciated!

I was originally going to just create an exact replica of the template pages that may include any original errors or other issues, but then I thought if I am going to the trouble of making a PDF for part of a book most us already have, I might as well make it more worthwhile and do any edits or updates that may be warranted. When I asked, no one pointed out any known errors (much thanks to griff for taking a look though), so I read through all the templates and looked for possible edits to make. All the weapon damage stats seem correct and the attributes total 18D for all. On a couple templates I removed a period at the end of Equipment because most of them do not have one. IIRC, this is what else I changed/added:
    Alien Student of the Force: Fixed a mid-word capitalization typo.
    Arrogant Nobel: Fixed a confusing Connection With Characters reference (carried over from 1e) that made it seems like this character was a Senatorial character when she clearly isn't and she even opposes democracy.
    Ewok: Added a film timeline note with respect to the background.
    Failed Jedi: Multiple core Jedi templates, especially Failed Jedi, were born out of 1e which did not have the same concept of Force Sensitivity. In 1e, any Jedi character could teach anyone else the Force. The Failed Jedi's write-up is such that the character's only purpose is to train someone else, when I have found it is quite common for player groups to only have one Force PC with no other PCs even being interested in learning the Force. The Failed Jedi's Connection With Characters only speaks to choosing another PC to train. I removed the word "player" from "player character" because training an NPC would also be an option, and I added a sentence from the Bounty Hunter template about other fringe characters just to have a non-trainee related suggestion. I also added a note for a stats option of having a Failed Jedi with the Alter skill, which of course means that under RAW I had to take 3 pips from the attributes for when a player chooses that option. The template's image is clearly a character with Alter so I figured there should at least be an option for a Failed Jedi that starts out with Alter. IAG has a non-telekinesis-using image for a Failed Jedi, but that image is in grayscale, not color.
    Gambler: I corrected a word that was probably a spellcheck error on a transcription error that completely changed the word from the 1e template. The 1e word makes sense for the character and the R&E word didn't, so I went with the original word.
    Outlaw: I corrected the first skill name to "Archaic guns".
    Protocol Droid: I like the artwork but it clearly isn't the same model of droid as Threepio, so I changed the model name to "3JL Protocol Droid". I came up with that by simply replacing the "PO" with the artist's initials.
I resisted the urge to institute more changes that reflect my personal preferences, so this document does not completely reflect my game and how I would handle all these. This PDF is fully functional with 2e RAW as is, and a little better than what was originally published in 1996. And although it is my pet peeve for PDF page numbers to not match the page numbers visible on the pages themselves, I decided to not renumber the pages and just left the original R&E page numbers, including on the TOC I created. I apologize that the TOC is not interactive by linking directly to the template. I don't know how to do that with pages made from images. And I'm sorry this document is not OCR. I don't have the technology to do that yet. I was having trouble making this PDF with Mac Preview which kept wanting to add margins around the pages which I couldn't easily get rid of, so I did some googling and finally used Keynote, an application for making slideshows which allowed me to custom the slide size dimensions to the page size, and then I exported the slideshow as a PDF.

Here are the templates in the document just for reference:

Blank Character Template
Alien Student of the Force
Arrogant Noble
Bounty Hunter
Brash Pilot
Ewok
Failed Jedi
Gambler
Kid
Minor Jedi
Mon Calamari
Outlaw
Pirate
Protocol Droid
Quixotic Jedi
Revwien Tyia Adept
Rookie New Republic Pilot
Smuggler
Wookiee
Young Jedi
Young Senatorial

I hope people appreciate this. The people playing the game using REUP can at least now have the original template character art now.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New on the Library...

Quote:
NEW --> 2e Rules Upgrade
NEW --> Bill Slavicsek's 1e House Rules Sheet
NEW --> Star Wars D6 Rules Essential (core)
NEW --> HyperspaceD6 (core)

The top two came from a guy on Facebook. I didn't get out my copy of the Slavicsek book but I think Bill Slavicsek's 1e House Rules are based on what he put in his book (static defenses, etc.).

I also slightly rearranged the Library.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that Rules Update and Campaign Handbook really LOOKS like a WEG book. Fine job with that one!
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Wow that Rules Update and Campaign Handbook really LOOKS like a WEG book. Fine job with that one!

The guy who gave it to me was the creator of the PDF. He mentioned the Slavicsek document, and I asked him if he could send it to me so I could share here. He did, and then he also sent me the other. Yeah, it is a cool format for his house rules.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belated realization w/r/t Templates: do you have the Template Compilation? This came up elsewhere, and it doesn't seem to be in the Library.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 8 of 17

Jump to: