The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Using the force through another
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Using the force through another
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:01 am    Post subject: Using the force through another Reply with quote

I am not sure how to do the headline in the right way for this.

Basically if a perosn is not trained in the force but is force sensitive, could another then use this person as a conduit, a proxy and use the force through this person?

ANH Luke was not trained at all, he was imo at best shown how to tap into and listen to the flow of the force.

When he then flew in the trench and hit the exhaust shoot this happend as he head Obi Wan tell him to trust the force, to "open up for the flow" and by that allowing the obi wan ghost 8as this was after the duel) to use Luke as a conduit and use the force through the untrained by force sensitive Luke.

later we do see luke get training.

The few days at best travelling to aldreaan from tatooine did not give much time for any deep training, they then ran inot the Death Star allowing for even less training.

So I will argue that at no time during ANH was Luke tranined in any way, and this made think that he could have acted as a conduit, a vessel for Obi Want to use the force through in this battle.

This can aslo be a way to both expalin other so called "force poping up" and many of the more controversial "they are too good for the level of traning"
Like some argue with some of the characters we know.

Thoughts on a non trained but force sensitive being a "counduit" of sorts?
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLDR: no.

Longer version:

First off - people can come up with what ever ideas they want to explain how the rules for our made up game sync up with plot elements in our beloved movie about space wizards.

I have always thought that luke had the power "concentration" and used it in the death star trench.

I mean - it is in the actual description of the power....

To me your hypothesis of the following....

So I will argue that at no time during ANH was Luke tranined in any way, and this made think that he could have acted as a conduit, a vessel for Obi Want to use the force through in this battle.

I feel he already knew concentration - therefore did NOT need to be a conduit (again - see the rules on concentration....).

How did he come to know it?
Many authors or game masters have come up with various notions over the years. Some may say he was a "wild talent" or a "natural" - or my personal favorite - he had a "latent" force ability - but it took events and knowledge to unlock (i.e. he could consciously use) them.

Such as kenobi's making him aware of it and the minor demonstrations etc.

However...
While it seems that the game designers think that luke already knew concentration (again, see Revised and Expanded page 143)....this does not mean that you could make some house rules up for some kind of conduit...or something. I just don't think it applies in the example stated.

Now - in my game - I have simple rules for characters helping another - including force abilities - but the primary actor still has to have the abilty being aided....

I think the conduit is an interesting concept - and might play with the idea as it could open up some fascinating adventure/story ideas - as it almost feels like a darksider could use it as well - for nefarious purposes.

So - go for it if you want it in your game - but I don't feel it is NECESSARY to explain latent force powers....

Best of luck in what ever you decide to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: