The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Karkarodon and Harch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Karkarodon and Harch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkJackal
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Karkarodon and Harch Reply with quote

Has anyone done any work on converting these species? I've been looking but couldn't find them on D6holocron and Bloodandhonor.wikia. Anyone know anything? Anyone want to take a stab?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apparently did a write-up of this species back in Feb-2015 after watching an episode of TCW.

Harch
Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY 2D/4D+2
KNOWLEDGE 1D/3D+1
MECHANICAL 1D+1/4D
PERCEPTION 1D+2/4D+2
STRENGTH 1D+1/3D+1
TECHNICAL 1D+2/4D
Special Abilities:

--- Extra Limbs: Harch have six arms. The extra limbs give them a bonus to climbing +1 per arm (up to +2D)
--- Natural Ambidexterity: Harch do not suffer penalties for an off hand.
Move: 9/11
Size: 1.5m
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pietre Valbuena posted this as a part of a character write-up. I have an email out to him to see if he has stat ranges worked out.

Karkarodon
Planet of Origin:

DEXTERITY
KNOWLEDGE
MECHANICAL
PERCEPTION
STRENGTH
TECHNICAL

Special Abilities & Story Arcs:

--- Aquatic Lifeform: Karkarodon can breathe underwater and are able to withstand the tremendous pressure of the deep, as it is their natural habitat. However, they require breathing apparati to survive outside of water. If on land without the aid of their specially made survival suits or a similar device, Karkarodon begin to suffocate.
--- Elite Swimmer: Karkarodon are amongst the strongest swimmers in the galaxy. They gain a +1D bonus to all Swimming checks. If they fail a Swimming check, Karkarodon characters may immediately make a second attempt to succeed. As this aquatic species has evolved in near-constant motion undersea, any movement up to cruising speed while submerged is a free action for Karkarodon. Swimming at cruising speed counts as an action, but no roll is required of them unless the terrain is of Difficult difficulty or greater.
--- Jaws of Death: Powerful jaws and dual rows of sharp teeth grant Karkarodon a +2D bonus to damage when making a bite-attack.
--- Keen Senses: Karkarodon gain a +1D bonus to Perception and Search skill checks when using their sense of smell.
--- Sharknado Fury: Although they possess keen predatory instinct and sharp senses, Karkarodon can be goaded into unwise decisions. If taunted or if their plans begin to go awry, Karkarodon characters must make a Willpower check against a base difficulty of Moderate, modified by circumstance, eg: degree of the offense, nature of the setback, etc. If this check fails, the Karkarodon swims into a rage. Enraged Karkarodon gain a +2D damage bonus while brawling, but suffer a -2D penalty to all non-Strength attribute and skill checks. Karkarodon must make a Difficult Willpower check to calm down if the cause of their rage is still present. After the cause of their rage and/or all opponents have been eliminated, Karkarodon need only succeed on an Easy Willpower check (without penalty) to calm down.

Move:
Size:

Karkadon Aquatic Combat:
Battering Ram
Difficulty: Easy
Effect: Make ramming attacks using his head, without sustaining injury.

If his attack/technique roll succeeds vs. Easy difficulty and strikes its target, the character gains a base damage bonus of +1D. For each increased level of speed above cruising, they gain an additional +1D damage bonus, but incurs a penalty of one increased level of difficulty for each increase in speed. He may use this attack even when moving at all-out speed, however he still cannot dodge or perform any additional actions, other than attempting this attack. Note: acquisition of this technique requires the use of two technique selections.

Multiple Strikes
Difficulty: Moderate
Effect: When brawling underwater the character may make a second attack of standard Strength damage without incurring a multi-action penalty, as long as his attack/technique roll beats its base difficulty of Moderate.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkJackal wrote:
Karkarodon and Harch

shootingwomprats wrote:
Harch

Thanks for posting your take on them. I thought Admiral Trench was an interesting character. Aqualish are odd aquatic humanoid spider-seals, and Harch are creepy spidermen versions of Aqualish. In my SWU, Aqualish are genetically engineered offspring of Harch.

shootingwomprats wrote:
Pietre Valbuena posted this as a part of a character write-up...Sharknado Fury

It's been a while since I've seen the episodes with the shark guy. Does anyone know if this special ability is base on established character traits of this species as a whole, or is this just more of the age-old WEG tactic of generalizing a species characteristic of one character of that species, like how all Aqualish are belligerent and all Chiss are good at cultures and tactics? Since I tend to accept all the officially published species traits, I prefer homebrew species stats to not just be stereotypical of the representative character.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharknado Fury...well, that's a bit on the nose (or snout, as the case may be).

I have lived to see the word sharknado on a Star War forum. Truly, the human race is doomed. Shocked
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it is also obvious, I'd like to point out that their name is, literally, just a variant spelling of Carcharodon, a genus of sharks where the only extant member is the Great White Shark, Carcharodon carcharias. The megalodon, the shark that was the equivalent of an armored bus, also used to be part of the carcharodon genus - though now tentatively reclassified.

Do I think that is lazy writing? Absolutely. Will I mind, if I get to throw mansharks at my players? No. Not in the slightest.
Jollyone
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharknado Fury, made my Monday better with that one. Thank you.
DarkJackal
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Pietre Valbuena posted this as a part of a character write-up. I have an email out to him to see if he has stat ranges worked out.

Karkarodon
Planet of Origin:

DEXTERITY
KNOWLEDGE
MECHANICAL
PERCEPTION
STRENGTH
TECHNICAL

Special Abilities & Story Arcs:

--- Aquatic Lifeform: Karkarodon can breathe underwater and are able to withstand the tremendous pressure of the deep, as it is their natural habitat. However, they require breathing apparati to survive outside of water. If on land without the aid of their specially made survival suits or a similar device, Karkarodon begin to suffocate.
--- Elite Swimmer: Karkarodon are amongst the strongest swimmers in the galaxy. They gain a +1D bonus to all Swimming checks. If they fail a Swimming check, Karkarodon characters may immediately make a second attempt to succeed. As this aquatic species has evolved in near-constant motion undersea, any movement up to cruising speed while submerged is a free action for Karkarodon. Swimming at cruising speed counts as an action, but no roll is required of them unless the terrain is of Difficult difficulty or greater.
--- Jaws of Death: Powerful jaws and dual rows of sharp teeth grant Karkarodon a +2D bonus to damage when making a bite-attack.
--- Keen Senses: Karkarodon gain a +1D bonus to Perception and Search skill checks when using their sense of smell.
--- Sharknado Fury: Although they possess keen predatory instinct and sharp senses, Karkarodon can be goaded into unwise decisions. If taunted or if their plans begin to go awry, Karkarodon characters must make a Willpower check against a base difficulty of Moderate, modified by circumstance, eg: degree of the offense, nature of the setback, etc. If this check fails, the Karkarodon swims into a rage. Enraged Karkarodon gain a +2D damage bonus while brawling, but suffer a -2D penalty to all non-Strength attribute and skill checks. Karkarodon must make a Difficult Willpower check to calm down if the cause of their rage is still present. After the cause of their rage and/or all opponents have been eliminated, Karkarodon need only succeed on an Easy Willpower check (without penalty) to calm down.

Sharknado Fury made my night. Maybe a Sharknado/Kung Fury crossover wouldn't be such a bad thing?

Any idea of their stats?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's one hell of a potent species... Though the 'if on land without special made suits, they suffocate; is a nice balancer.. THOUGH i would have rather there been some mechanical listing for how long that takes/how long their suits last etc..
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy, all! Long time, no see! Real Life has been super-busy and so, pardon the extended/continued absence. Here were the attribute ranges I had for the Karkarondon, along with the rest of the write-up, grouped for reference and tweaked in minor ways. Glad that folks got a both a laugh and a groan from "Sharknado Fury" -- Whill, I think I may indeed have been guilty of WEG-ism in extending a particular character's short fuse to the entire species.

There was a second Karkarodon with dialogue in TCW, one who popped up in a prison episode, and who attempted to pick a fight with newbie prisoner Rako Hardeen (a disguised Obi-Wan Kenobi) and so, there may be an overall tendency to throw their weight around in terms of intimidation, though it's just as likely the writers needed a scary-looking character model to act out a prison story trope.

The other issue with that prisoner is that he was walking around on land without the apparent use of a suit, undercutting one of the balancing factors in the previous write-up... so Amphibous rather than Aquatic, alas.

The minor dings on DEX and MEC maximums were inspired by the blind-spots on most sharks directly in front of the snout, and the wide-set (either side of snout) eye placement. While not affecting hand-eye coordination per se, these factors may affect in minor ways, depth perception, better performance while within vehicle-piloting cockpit confines, etc. TEC ranges were set to Human spectrum (as a kind of "average"). The species displayed TEC facility by effectively conceiving of and weaponizing cyborg jellyfish, so they appeared at least "as good" as humans, imho. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hydroid_Medusa

KARKARODON
Planet of Origin: Karkaris

DEXTERITY 1D+2/3D+2
KNOWLEDGE 1D/4D
MECHANICAL 1D/3D+1
PERCEPTION 1D+2/4D
STRENGTH 2D/5D
TECHNICAL 1D/4D

Move: 8/10 (Land), 13/15 (Water)
Size: 1.75 - 2.25 meters tall/long

SPECIES SPECIAL ABILITIES & STORY FACTORS:
    AMPHIBIOUS: Karkarodon can breathe underwater and are able to withstand the tremendous pressure of the deep, as it is their natural habitat.

ELITE SWIMMER: Karkarodon are amongst the strongest swimmers in the galaxy. They gain a +1D bonus to all Swimming checks. If they fail a Swimming check, Karkarodon characters may immediately make a second attempt to succeed. As this aquatic species has evolved in near-constant motion undersea, any movement up to cruising speed while submerged is a free action for Karkarodon. Swimming at cruising speed counts as an action, but no roll is required of them unless the terrain is of Difficult difficulty or greater.

JAWS OF DEATH: Powerful jaws and dual rows of sharp teeth grant Karkarodon a +2D bonus to damage when making a bite-attack.

KEEN SENSES: While underwater, Karkarodon gain a +1D bonus to Perception and Search skill checks when using their sense of smell.

SHARKNADO FURY: Although they possess keen predatory instinct and sharp senses, Karkarodon can be goaded into unwise decisions. If taunted or if their plans begin to go awry, Karkarodon characters must make a Willpower check against a base difficulty of Moderate, modified by circumstance, eg: degree of the offense, nature of the setback, etc. If this check fails, the Karkarodon swims into a rage. Enraged Karkarodon gain a +2D damage bonus while brawling, but suffer a -2D penalty to all non-Strength attribute and skill checks. Karkarodon must make a Difficult Willpower check to calm down if the cause of their rage is still present. After the cause of their rage and/or all opponents have been eliminated, Karkarodon need only succeed on an Easy Willpower check (without penalty) to calm down.

SPECIAL SKILLS: KARKARODON AQUATIC COMBAT

Karkarodon trained in Aquatic Combat, such as Riff Tamson, have demonstrated knowledge of the following hand-to-hand combat techniques, and may have access to many other maneuvers.
    Battering Ram
    Difficulty: Easy | Effect: A Karkarodon may make ramming attacks using his head, without sustaining injury. If his attack/technique roll succeeds vs. Easy difficulty and strikes its target, the Karkarodon gains a base damage bonus of +1D. For each increased level of speed above cruising, he gains an additional +1D damage bonus, but incurs a penalty of one increased level of difficulty for each increase in speed. He may use this attack even when moving at all-out speed, however he still cannot dodge or perform any additional actions, other than attempting this attack. Note: acquisition of this technique requires the use of two technique selections.

Multiple Strikes
    Difficulty: Moderate | Effect: When brawling underwater, Karkarodon may make a second attack of standard Strength damage without incurring a multi-action penalty, as long as his attack/technique roll beats its base difficulty of Moderate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: