The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Solo (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Solo (original spoilers thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: TIE/rb Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Okay, I've updated my stats for the TIE/rb based on the information from Whill and the links he provided. Apart from the official designation for /rb as "reinforcement battery", the big thing I changed was removing the standard TIE blaster/laser cannon from the cockpit, as they are nowhere in evidence on the model.

However, I did keep the modular weapon mount aspect, so this ship can be equipped with a mix of lasers, ion cannon, auto-blasters or a light concussion missile launcher. The general concept is, with TIEs equipped to operate almost exclusively in a superiority/intercept role, the TIE/rb provides them with heavy weapons "reinforcement" that can be tailored to fit specific mission requirements, whether heavy assault, pursuit & immobilize or superiority.

I like it!

CRMcNeill wrote:
Thanks. I can only imagine how much time the authors spent coming up with an acronym that worked.

It seems you are suggesting that they just arbitrarily made up the "/rb" designation, and then later came up with something to make it fit what that stand for. It think it is possible that "reinforcement battery" was made up later to fit, but they probably still didn't completely get "/rb" out of thin air. From the very beginning this ship was nicknamed "Brute" so "rb" could be a reversal of the first two letters of brute. The other possibility is that when the ship was designed "reinforcement battery" was written down somewhere but that just wasn't revealed to the public until this year.

Either way, you've made it work for your stats and capsule. That's awesome.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a definite aspect of backronyming involved here, considering how long after official sources like the Visual Dictionary were released. It's in keeping with the low bar currently set with the storygroup to just pick a pair of letters somewhat related to the nickname, but reverse them so that it looks like a standard TIE designation, without ever bothering to consider that TIE designations all have a meaning behind them.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: Solo comes to Disney+ Reply with quote

I have an AB blood type which makes my blood plasma and platelets universal and thus in demand. This past Sunday I donated platelets at Red Cross, and it took over an hour and a half. Before they stuck me in both arms, they gave me a remote to a TV screen and headphones. They have Netflix and a couple other options to watch, and I just put on Solo and watched most of the movie while I was lying down not moving (except for squeezing this foam thing in the hand of my outgoing arm to keep the blood pumping). Great way to kill the time.

On Sunday I forgot to post that if you have Netflix, don't have Disney+, and want to watch Solo before it leaves, to watch it this week. Oh well. So now I'm left with announcing that Solo came to Disney+ today, so you can watch it now if you have Disney+.

Solo on Disney+
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing substantial to share, but there are rumors circling back around that a film or series sequel to Solo may be in development for Disney+. Possibly related are rumors of a Lando Disney+ series and the return of Maul in some live action form.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait!
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally bought a spring 2019 book about the making of Solo that I had never picked up and I received it in the mail today. Flipping through it I saw this picture (below). So the story goes, the actor showed up on the set with this book on the day they were going to film a start-up sequence because he wanted it to look accurate. (That is of course the EU edition of the book because the canon one didn't come out until after Solo to include Lando's Falcon.) That is really awesome that Alden Ehrenreich was so concerned about doing it right. His finger is marking the page.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! I was hesitant at first about someone other than Harrison Ford playing Han, but the kid did a great job! Glad to see folks with that kind of attitude of getting it "right". I really am looking forward to a sequel of this, I'd love to see some more Han/Chewie shenanigans before ANH.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrison Ford in Solo: A Star Wars Story [DeepFake]

Another example of DF technology.

I wonder is these (R1 and HS) are just teasers for upcoming fan versions of the movies? Prequels with Sir Alec Guinness, Billy Dee Williams in HS?
Whill

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Solo Reply with quote

Interesting deepfake, although it is jarring that the voice doesn't match the face. Ultimately I think the actors' real faces with voices complete the performances best and more successfully suspend disbelief due to a different actors playing Han Solo and Lando...

DougRed4 wrote:
This article from Variety gives a load of info on the future of Star Wars, both movies and shows.

It also has a quote from Kathleen Kennedy indicating that the "lesson" learned from Solo was to not recast characters with new actors. Really?!

Lucasfilm's Misdiagnosis of Solo Shows They're Out Of Touch With Star Wars

I actually agree with the opinion of this article to some extent. Everyone loves Harrison Ford, but Alden Ehrenreich totally nailed a younger Han Solo. He said Harrison Ford told him the key to playing Han Solo but to never reveal what he said, and he hasn't. None of the film's directors were ever told. When the original directors were trying to turn the movie into more of a comedy, Alden Ehrenreich single-handedly saved the film by ratting on them to Lucasfilm, so they were fired which lead to Ron Howard taking over. Kathleen Kennedy (or perhaps her boss feeding her the company line) has seriously misdiagnosed Solo and learned the wrong lesson.

Plus, their hypocrisy in cracking on Solo is overwhelming. How many characters have been successfully recast over the years? Ewan McGregor totally nailed a younger Obi-Wan in the PT and they are still using him. The young Lando actor from Solo (who was also fantastic) is getting a forthcoming Disney+ series. Grand Moff Tarkin had some CG issues in Rogue One but the actor totally nailed the voice and mannerisms of Peter Cushing. Well, I hope Mark Hamill is getting paid a lot of money to keep playing Luke Skywalker.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with you (and the article). I've generally enjoyed all of the SW content Disney has put out, but I do feel they too often play it safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: