The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Solo (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Solo (original spoilers thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it! It was as comical as I felt a movie centered around the exploits of Han should be, there were some darker tones to show that the galaxy isn't full of sunshine and rainbows, which I liked.

To be honest, going in, I didn't really like the guy they got to play Han. But, by the end of the movie, I really thought he did a good job at portraying the character. I ended up liking each of the characters in their own right. I thought it was kind of funny how the Imperial recruiter is the one who ended up giving Han his last name.

I thought the Kessel Run was done pretty well. They did a good job in explaining the 12 Parsecs bit from New Hope.

The only thing I was a little iffy on was the whole Corellia underworld thing, I had mixed feelings about it, but I think that was because I'd read a few or one of novels about Han in Corellian space.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I enjoyed it! It was as comical as I felt a movie centered around the exploits of Han should be, there were some darker tones to show that the galaxy isn't full of sunshine and rainbows, which I liked.

To be honest, going in, I didn't really like the guy they got to play Han. But, by the end of the movie, I really thought he did a good job at portraying the character. I ended up liking each of the characters in their own right. I thought it was kind of funny how the Imperial recruiter is the one who ended up giving Han his last name.

I thought the Kessel Run was done pretty well. They did a good job in explaining the 12 Parsecs bit from New Hope.

The only thing I was a little iffy on was the whole Corellia underworld thing, I had mixed feelings about it, but I think that was because I'd read a few or one of novels about Han in Corellian space.

I love the movie except for the appearance of Maul (or as I prefer it to be, Mauul).

Corellia is a big planet and we only saw a small fraction of it in the film. I don't see anything in the film disallowing any other aspects of the Corellian underworld. And we only saw a snapshot of it in a certain year, 13 years BBY. It could have evolved over time. The opening uncrawling text and the film present the Empire's control over the galaxy as relatively weak and depending on criminal syndicates.

The name things brings up some questions. Han remembers his father as working for CEC, being on a YT-1300 and some details about his father's desires in life. But he acts like he doesn't know his last name when he should have been old enough to know it with all the stuff he remembers. I'm thinking that he knew his real last name but wanted to keep it secret due to being wanted on Corellia, and got lucky with a bureaucrat who didn't care. But in the classic films he was going by the name of Solo, but wouldn't he be wanted by the Empire for desertion? The new film dialogue did mention that the Empire doesn't hunt people down for desertion, so maybe it was so common and they didn't have the resources at the time. I can't imagine the Empire of the classic era finding desertion acceptable, and he would still be on the books as a past deserter. Maybe the Empire got thumped in a public way on Mimbam, and they buried the whole war there so deserters got off free. It is obvious that Han would want to keep going by the Solo name for his galactic reputation that started in this movie.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true, Corellia is a big world with multiple cities.

Maul didn't bother me much, in many ways his survival could be attributed to the Reduce Injury force power, maybe he botched the roll with a 1 on the wild die, causing him to be cut in half, rather than just losing his legs. The only issue with it has to do with his body expelling waste, how does he do it without a rectum or anything? Maybe Zabrak's don't have intestines like we do, and they vomit up their waste? It could explain his nasty teeth...

You raise a few good points with the name. I figure that once he got the reputation for doing the Kessel run and gunning down Beckett, he would have wanted to keep the name Solo for the street credit. It's possible too, that even though his dad worked on the YT-1300s, he was a crappy parent and so Han has mixed feelings about his family name. Maybe his dad ran off and left him to fend for himself on the streets? Maybe he got arrested by the Empire, and so Han ditched his family name to not raise red flags with the recruiter. Or, maybe his dad was arrested, but Han never found out, he just didn't come home one day: vanishing without a trace.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Maul didn't bother me much, in many ways his survival could be attributed to the Reduce Injury force power, maybe he botched the roll with a 1 on the wild die, causing him to be cut in half, rather than just losing his legs. The only issue with it has to do with his body expelling waste, how does he do it without a rectum or anything? Maybe Zabrak's don't have intestines like we do, and they vomit up their waste? It could explain his nasty teeth...

LOL. Eww, but LOL.

Raven Redstar wrote:
You raise a few good points with the name. I figure that once he got the reputation for doing the Kessel run and gunning down Beckett, he would have wanted to keep the name Solo for the street credit. It's possible too, that even though his dad worked on the YT-1300s, he was a crappy parent and so Han has mixed feelings about his family name. Maybe his dad ran off and left him to fend for himself on the streets? Maybe he got arrested by the Empire, and so Han ditched his family name to not raise red flags with the recruiter. Or, maybe his dad was arrested, but Han never found out, he just didn't come home one day: vanishing without a trace.

It's great that there is still so much mystery with his origin. This movie protected the mystery even more than the EU Solo novels did.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else pick up Solo? My son and I watched the entire special features disc tonight. It's cool, but pretty short. There definitely was not enough to actually require a second blu-ray disc for special features, so the whole "two-disc" blu-ray set was really a marketing scheme to imply there was so much content it couldn't all fit on one disc. It didn't effect the price or anything, but it is a bit of a letdown because it gets your hopes up for more than there really is.

I still haven't finished all the special features for the PT because there is just so much that it got boring. I can't remember if I watched all of the OT blu-ray special features (I'll have to reread my review), but I may have only watched most because there was just so much. But I have definitely watched all the special features of the Disney SW films (except for watching the films with the audio commentary).

At least the Solo movie itself is so entertaining!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked Solo the night it came out and watched it a few times. I have watched most of the special features they were okay. My favorite special feature of any star wars release was the making of Episode 1 on the original DVD release.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got Solo from Redbox. I was pleasantly surprised..
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I've been enjoying all of the movies that Disney has done so far. Sure, there are a thing or two here or there that don't mesh super well. But, it seems like the stand alone movies are really really good. I've watched Rogue One maybe 10 or so times since it came out, and I'm planning on watching Solo several times as well.

I think the big problem that folks have been having with the Sequel Trilogy is their expectations for them. I'm really looking forward to Episode 9, and whatever else is coming afterwards. I love Star Wars, and I hope that we continue getting new stuff for years to come.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was better than episodes 7 and 8. Not as good as Willow. I'm pretty hard on the Star Wars franchise because they have all the resources in the world. Also, because R1 showed me that I can like new Star Wars movies so it's not just that they aren't as magical as when I was in my single-digit years. Despite my views on the story itself, I think it was the best look into "the rest of the Star Wars universe" far away from the military battles, that we're going to get any time soon.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
What was that thing Beckett wanted to lear to play?

Valachord

TauntaunScout wrote:
Not as good as Willow. I'm pretty hard on the Star Wars franchise because they have all the resources in the world. Also, because R1 showed me that I can like new Star Wars movies so it's not just that they aren't as magical as when I was in my single-digit years.

I like Willow but not as much as Solo. I'm sure we would at least agree that Solo was waaay better than Inferno.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that's bothered me about Solo...

And yes, this is very specific, but it's the main reason I haven't written up any stats for this AT-Hauler.

I love the concept of the AT-Hauler, but giving it a hyperdrive seems to fly in the face of Imperial military doctrine as we know it. This thing seems primarily an inter-atmospheric transport used to rapidly deploy light walkers, heavy weapon emplacements, logistics containers, etc. Given what we know about the Empire's lack of trust, why give this thing interstellar flight capability when all it really needs to do is A) transport cargo to and from orbit and B) move cargo from place to place on a planet?

Now, if the battle scene and the heist scene had occured on the same planet (or even different planets in the same star system), I'd find it a bit more plausible. A planet with valuable resources is far more likely to have military forces committed to controlling it, especially if the hyper-fuel / coaxium is as valuable as Solo made it out to be.

I only saw the movie once, and I haven't bought the disc yet (because reasons. I haven't bought a copy of TLJ yet, either), so I can't confirm the sequence of events. However, if it were up to me, I'd have the entire Imperial Army and heist scene take place on Vandor-1 instead of Mimban (we don't really need an Easter Egg, especially one that causes continuity issues).

My reasoning:
    -If Vandor-1 is a known source of coaxium, that makes the planet worth the commitment of military forces to control it.

-It also means that the mining and processing of coaxium would continue, even while a war was being fought for control of it.

-It is possible to have both torrential rain and snow/ice in mountains on the same planet.

-The AT-Hauler wouldn't need to go interplanetary / interstellar; it would make sense to steal one during the chaos of battle to engage in a heist on the same planet and abandon it later (nothing to trace back to the thieves).

But, again, Disney seemed to think it was imperative that everything that happens in one of their films has to occur on a trans-galactic scale, when it could just as easily have been much more local in scope while still occuring in the SWU.

Anyway, in case anyone's been wondering why I've been so silent on writing stats for Solo, this is a big part of why. The only things in the film that might inspire me to stat them out for more common use have serious continuity issues that just don't fit with the SWU as I know it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: AT-hauler Reply with quote

I do not disagree with your logic. Instead of altering the film that the battle and train heist happened on the same planet, another possibility could be that they got a lift from one system to the other in some medium freighter in league with Crimson Dawn. Dryden Vos's yacht showed up on Vandor-1 to pick up Beckett, but it did not at all look like that yacht could have picked up the coaxium freight car had the heist been successful. Also, Beckett, Han and Chewie didn't leave the system with the AT-hauler. It got ditched somewhere on Vandor-1. So this proposed medium freighter could have taken them to Vandor-1 and could also have been available somewhere in the system to pick up the freight car (but didn't end up being needed for that second purpose).

The Solo novelization makes no mention of the ship having a hyperdrive. The book completely skips over how they get to Vandor-1, like in the film. My suggestion for your stats would be to leave out the hyperdrive.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Solo Reply with quote

Solo ended up grossing almost $400 million in the worldwide box office. So yes, it was a box office disappointment in light of the last two films both grossing over 1 billion each. But even with it's higher production cost, Solo was not even close to being a "flop". Disney still made a decent profit off of Solo.

Dredwulf60 wrote:
I enjoy the various references.

Whill wrote:
Han shot first!

One of the best parts. Really reinforces that Han knows that in certain situations...you shoot first or you are dead.
griff wrote:
LANDO'S HAWAIIAN ALHOA SHIRT IS THE GREATEST THING IN STAR WARS EVER!!!! I loved that Han's father assembled YT-1300s was wonderful and strengthens Han's connection to the Falcon even deeper. Also loved that the Imperial recruiting vid had the Imperial March music playing "in world".
Falconer wrote:
...in the final analysis, I liked Han, I liked Chewie, I liked Kira, and I liked Lando, and that counts for a lot. I liked the twists and turns of the story.
nuclearwookiee wrote:
As someone who admittedly thought this movie was a bad idea, I liked it--a lot. I've always been a Chewie fan, and he really got the chance to shine in this one. And for some reason, the people making the stand-alone films are so much better about including content for the diehard fans than are the people making the episodic films. I'm especially surprised/delighted that they included the Falcon being run, at least in part, by droid brains. The reference to Teras Kasi was fun too. But the thoughtfulness demonstrated in Rogue One and Solo makes me even more disappointed in the new Episodes
cheshire wrote:
I think it was perfectly serviceable sci-fi. Reasonable plot turns without anything illogical out of left field. Admitedly they did cram a lot of backstory into one movie, but it never felt like it was rushing to shove something in. And it was never done in such a manner that it felt like it interrupted the flow of the plot.

Glover was a great Lando.
Darklighter79 wrote:
"That’s cause a droid don’t pull people’s arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."

Finally we see it in all its glory (but no too gory) 8)
MrNexx wrote:
Overall, I thought it was a great movie.
jmanski wrote:
I thought the darker hues fit the movie's tone, so I liked it. I also loved the musical cues, especially the reprise from TESB asteroid chase when the Falcon is moving through the maw.

I liked the movie a lot... Solid B+ effort.
RyanDarkstar wrote:
I was surprised how much I enjoyed Solo, since The Last Jedi really made me question putting any more money in Disney's pocket... the world building was great, and the characters were rather believable... I had a good time...

Though not a popular opinion, my wife and I actually enjoyed the reveal of Maul.
Whill wrote:
I just have to say that I really loved this movie (except for the one stupid part). It has a good story in a vehicle for lots of great Star Wars universe action scenes and wonderful fan service. There is just so much to love! This movie is inspiring for smuggler campaigns like the two I am planning now.

And this time I was reminded of a solo adventure I ran involving the spice mines of Kessel...
CRMcNeill wrote:
Some things I’m interested in.
-The AT Hauler used for the train heist has some possibilities, but I need more info.
-I already did stats for the gun pod TIE, but I need to go back and reconsider those now that more info is available.
-In my stat re-write, I made swoops into souped-up speeder bikes with limited altitude. The use of swoops at high altitudes in the train heist would seem to indicate that they are, in fact, capable of high altitude operation.
-I’ve had plans to write stats for power-weapons as a WH40K crossover for some time (solid weapons that generate an energy field around them). Both Solo and TLJ would seem to indicate that such weaponry is no longer just a crossover.
Quote:
It was fun, and well put together, and I loved all the nods to the EU... My current feeling is that it was a decent film that didn’t leave any gaping wounds in the continuity
Cpkeyes wrote:
Tobias was pretty f*** badass and was basically my favorite part of the movie. Just....badass.

...I also like how they remembered the Imperial Army exists. Someone here said that the Mudtroopers were Stormies, they were Imperial Army.

...Lando himself was great. Donald Glover even looks like a younger Lando.

I honestly assumed Qi'ra was gonna die for some cheap drama. I'm happy she wasn't. I do like how they had her and crimeboss boyfriend person use Teras Kasi.
Whill wrote:
I love how Lando's perpetual mispronunciation of Han matches Han's original mispronunciation of Sabacc. It's like Lando was offended by the mispronunciation of his favorite game and keeps making fun of him for it... My son and I watched Solo for the 4th time tonight (We maintained the pattern of seeing it every 8 days since premiere night). It is so much fun!
WillTasker wrote:
I rather liked Solo... all in all, its much better than either of the numbered sequel movies.
ReverendKeaton wrote:
I cannot wait for it to hit the small screen. I have been so busy I have never made it back to see it again. I want to see it soooooooo bad. I loved the movie. It is one that I have a feeling will get worn out being watched over and over again.

The above quotes were all made while Solo was still in the theaters.

Whill wrote:
It's here! After work I picked up my Solo blu-ray and we watched the film tonight.

It did seem to view better at home (not so dim). And I loved watching it with subtitles so I could make out a few more lines I missed in my theatrical viewings... It's great that there is still so much mystery with his origin. This movie protected the mystery even more than the EU Solo novels did. ...the Solo movie itself is so entertaining!

griff wrote:
I picked Solo the night it came out and watched it a few times. I have watched most of the special features they were okay.

garhkal wrote:
Finally got Solo from Redbox. I was pleasantly surprised..

Raven Redstar wrote:

I thought the Kessel Run was done pretty well. They did a good job in explaining the 12 Parsecs bit from New Hope.... To be honest, I've been enjoying all of the movies that Disney has done so far. Sure, there are a thing or two here or there that don't mesh super well. But, it seems like the stand alone movies are really really good. I've watched Rogue One maybe 10 or so times since it came out, and I'm planning on watching Solo several times as well.

TauntaunScout wrote:
It was better than episodes 7 and 8... I think it was the best look into "the rest of the Star Wars universe" far away from the military battles, that we're going to get any time soon.

It is definitely safe to say that out of those who discussed Solo here, the response is generally favorable. We've had 'absolutely love it' types of responses. It is true that we've had a lot of 'yes, but...' and a few of 'it was ok', but the only largely negative response was from someone who actually hadn't see the movie (so his opinion doesn't count).

It's wonderful when aging Star Wars fans, especially fans of a Star Wars RPG that ceased publication 20 years ago, can get together and share their enjoyment of a new Star Wars film.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: AT-hauler Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The Solo novelization makes no mention of the ship having a hyperdrive. The book completely skips over how they get to Vandor-1, like in the film. My suggestion for your stats would be to leave out the hyperdrive.

That works.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: AT-hauler Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:

That works.

The ship also had a hyperdrive, although its navigation computer only contained pre-calculated hyperspace jump destinations to a select group of Imperial outposts—in an effort to discourage thieves.*

*Source: Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: