The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Solo (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Solo (original spoilers thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your post. I do remember you saying you liked Rogue One.

I don't want this thread to get "political", but your statement about baby boomers being the one generation that should be nostalgic really only applies to white males. The post-WWII time period had continued racism and mysogyny. Saying times were great compared to later marginalizes all those who suffered under discrimination.
Registration & Log-In Help
TauntaunScout
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Thanks for your post. I do remember you saying you liked Rogue One.

I don't want this thread to get "political", but your statement about baby boomers being the one generation that should be nostalgic really only applies to white males. The post-WWII time period had continued racism and mysogyny. Saying times were great compared to later marginalizes all those who suffered under discrimination.

I don't want it to get political either. However, the post-war economic boom was a rising tide that floated all ships. Women and ethnic minorities in the United States were better off during childhood than their socioeconomic demographic in the previous generations. That could vary based on where you lived in the country though, too. Remember my statement also assumes that people in question were children, and not adults, in all or most of the 1950's. Civil rights can be much advanced by the 1970's but if you are facing a broadly difficult and/or terrifying young adulthood (energy crisis et al) childhood in the postwar boom years is gonna seem pretty good! Compare them to the older generation (across demographics) at that time: in 1977 there was considerable nostalgia for 1957. No one in 1957 was nostalgic for the horrors (economic and otherwise) of 1937.

Tthat such nostalgia may have been more keenly felt by white males, may simply be reflected in Lucas fitting that demographic.

Economics aside, a lot of very ugly domestic problems (which won't be named, to avoid political debates) came to their statistical peak in the 1930's. Girls and non-whites born in the mid to late 40's and growing up in the 1950's got to avoid a lot of nasty business that was much more common for their parents generation. They may not be nearly as nostalgic as white males, but baby boomers of other demographics are still very nostalgic about their childhood years. This is the type of broad generational impulse that crossed demographics to make Happy Days the number one rated TV show the years immediately surrounding the release of ANH. Though that opens up the whole American Graffiti can of worms. ANH was different though, it was usually much, much subtler about plucking those nostalgia chords in viewers.

For the baby-boomer audience of Star Wars, you're more talking about young adults who didn't buy Kenner toys (unless it was for their children) but did go back to re-watch "that crazy Star Wars movie" over and over, helping to propel it's record breaking financial success. It's lack of ethnic diversity was noted by baby boomers in 1977: Richard Pryor's comment about ANH cannot be quoted here. But the gender diversity of in princess Leia was also noted and lauded at the time. Nowadays it may seem like she's "the token girl" but back then, having a token girl who shot people, had that many lines, impacted the storyline, and, it should be noted, who was barely a love interest, was pretty rare and seen as progressive. I tend to think Leia's development owes a lot to the female characters in Burrough's books. Compared to his contemporaries of the adventure genre, Burrough's female characters were pretty well developed and at least tried to defend themselves if threatened, instead of fainting as a danger response. Course Princess Yuki is presumably the biggest single influence on Leia.

I don't even know what my point is anymore. I guess I just like talking (and talking and talking) about Star Wars within a broader context of American cultural history.
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
...I guess I just like talking (and talking and talking) about Star Wars within a broader context of American cultural history.

A lot of baby boomers do not have any nostalgia for the post-WWII time period. Saying that it was worse earlier than that may be true but it is dismissive of the fact that a lot of them still had it bad. The rising tide may have floated many ships but saying all ships is inaccurate and again, dismissive of those who weren't floated. Being dismissive of racial and gender discrimination is not acceptable here. There is no point to discussing this here.

TauntaunScout wrote:
I don't even know what my point is anymore.

This is the original open discussion thread for Solo. Let us please get this thread back on course to talk about Solo film, novelization, etc. Thanks.
Registration & Log-In Help
TauntaunScout
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:
I don't even know what my point is anymore.

This is the original open discussion thread for Solo. Let us please get this thread back on course to talk about Solo film, novelization, etc. Thanks.

I liked it when Han Solo shot Woody from Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: