The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars: Aftermath
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars: Aftermath Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Star Wars: Aftermath Reply with quote

http://www.starwars.com/news/chaos-throttles-the-capital-in-star-wars-aftermath-special-excerpt

It looks like someone wrote a novel to help bridge the gap between EVI and EVII. Based on the writing, I don't think I'll be picking it up. I'm sure that he's a fine author otherwise, but it looked like there were just some pressures on him that made the quality of the writing suffer in this particular project.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Aftermath Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
http://www.starwars.com/news/chaos-throttles-the-capital-in-star-wars-aftermath-special-excerpt

It looks like someone wrote a novel to help bridge the gap between EVI and EVII. Based on the writing, I don't think I'll be picking it up. I'm sure that he's a fine author otherwise, but it looked like there were just some pressures on him that made the quality of the writing suffer in this particular project.

The excerpt does reveal that Chapter 1 takes place a matter of months after the Battle of Endor.

Yeah, I'll bet the two main pressures on the author are continuity restrictions and time constraints. I'll read this novel mainly out of interest in the new canon's post-RotJ continuity, but also to say I gave the new canon publishing a shot. I'm interested in what can be ruled out about the time period, but I'm sure the book won't have any major spoilers about TFA. If I don't like Aftermath, I may not want to read the other two novels in the trilogy (which won't be released until after TFA).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it and I do not like the guys writing style at all. I will probably grudgingly pass on reading it. I read Heir to the Jedi. If only I could unread that crappy book. On the other hand Lords of the Sith wasn't a bad read it just really didn't go anywhere. At this time, the canonical books for me are 1:1 with a meh and a pass.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I read it and I do not like the guys writing style at all. I will probably grudgingly pass on reading it. I read Heir to the Jedi. If only I could unread that crappy book. On the other hand Lords of the Sith wasn't a bad read it just really didn't go anywhere. At this time, the canonical books for me are 1:1 with a meh and a pass.

I'd have figured you would've read A New Dawn with being such a big fan of Rebels. Or is that the other shootingwomprats? I was given a copy of Heir to the Jedi so have it, but I'm in no rush to read it. I haven't read any of the new canon novels yet, so Aftermath will be my first. But based on Rebels and the new Marvel Star Wars comics, the whole of Disney Star Wars gets a thumbs down from me, so far.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah New Dawn gets a "meh" from me.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I read it and I do not like the guys writing style at all.

What's weird is that I've heard he's done a really good job with some of his other works. The writing with this excerpt is just so noticeably lackluster that it makes me wonder what happened.

I am interested in what they're going to do with the new continuity. I may see if the library can get this on audibook so I can listen to it on my commute. But otherwise I'm probably going to pass.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll hold off on reading it till the library gets it.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Yeah New Dawn gets a "meh" from me.

I give it a "meh+", though Tarkin was better than I expected, giving a nice picture of the Empire 5 years after the clone wars.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Tarkin was better than I expected, giving a nice picture of the Empire 5 years after the clone wars.

I see that Tarkin is now out on paperback so I will probably read Tarkin before Aftermath. James Luceno did write Darth Plagueis and Labyrinth of Evil which I love.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
cynanbloodbane wrote:
Tarkin was better than I expected, giving a nice picture of the Empire 5 years after the clone wars.

I see that Tarkin is now out on paperback so I will probably read Tarkin before Aftermath. James Luceno did write Darth Plagueis and Labyrinth of Evil which I love.

If I remember correctly, events from Darth Plagueis get reffrenced in Tarkin.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'll take the bullet for all of you and read Aftermath. 8)

I pre-ordered Aftermath from Amazon with a couple new CDs to get the free shipping. I refuse the pay less than 60% retail for this book so I will have to wait for Amazon to send it to me at free shipping speed.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping that the local library carries the audiobook. I can listen on my walking commute.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you guys what. From what I have already read, I think I am leaning towards attempting to read it, but honestly, if it sucks (like about half the EU stuff does if we are brutally honest), I am putting it down and walking away. I will get a synopsis of the important universe stuff another way.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read the sample chapters. From what I can tell, it is not representative of the author's writing abilities.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I tell you guys what. From what I have already read, I think I am leaning towards attempting to read it, but honestly, if it sucks (like about half the EU stuff does if we are brutally honest), I am putting it down and walking away. I will get a synopsis of the important universe stuff another way.

So, shootingwomprats, a month later, did you give it a shot? If so, can I ask your impression of the novel?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: