The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Timing of actions question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Timing of actions question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toric
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Timing of actions question Reply with quote

So I know questions like these have probably been asked a bunch on the forums but I'm hoping someone can fill me on on this one.

Lets say we have one stormtrooper fighting two rebels.

Each combatant declares one action for the first round. Rebel 1 will fire at the Stormtrooper. Rebel 2 will fire at the stormtrooper. The stormtrooper will fire at Rebel 2.

The rules state that it doesn't matter when actions happen in a round except for when one characters skill use affects another characters skill use.

In the above example, the two rebels are firing at the stormtrooper but the stormtrooper is only firing at rebel 2. So the stormtrooper and rebel 2 fire at each other. Whoever rolls higher gets their shot off first. However, if rebel 1 hits the stormtrooper, he will be stunned at minimum, possibly worse, which would negate his action. So in this case, doesn't it matter when rebel 1 takes his shot, even through the stormtrooper isn't firing at him? If rebel 1 was quickest to get his shot off and it hit, the stormtrooper wouldn't be able to hit rebel 2 at all.

In this case do you just roll ALL three blaster skill rolls from each character and whoever gets the highest roll gets their shot off first? Or do you just dice off between the stormtrooper and rebel 2 and THEN deal with rebel 1's shot? Or something else entirely?

I like the idea of free flowing combat that 1e provides and don't really want to bring in an initiative system if I can avoid it but I'm concerned about situations like described above with my group of five or six players. I am starting a new 1e game this Sunday and want to clear up situations like this in my head before starting.

This could get messy with more combatants, say five rebels and five stormtroopers. If stormtrooper 1 shoots at rebel 1, stormtrooper 2 at rebel 2, etc., it would be easy to run. But if stormtrooper 1 and stormtrooper 2 shoot at rebel 1, rebel 1 shoots at stormtrooper 3, rebel 2 shoots at stormtrooper 1, etc. it seems like even if two characters in this situation aren't acting directly against one another, that we'd still need some way to determine who shoots first to cover a simpler situation like I first described.

In the second example between five rebels and five stormtroopers, if all were firing at one another regardless of targets in the first action segment of round one, would you just have all ten roll blaster skill rolls and have the shots happen in order of highest to lowest, and then anyone hit would lose their upcoming shot?

Hopefully I didn't make this too complicated a question but I probably did.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the pit!

Quote:
In this case do you just roll ALL three blaster skill rolls from each character and whoever gets the highest roll gets their shot off first? Or do you just dice off between the stormtrooper and rebel 2 and THEN deal with rebel 1's shot? Or something else entirely?

By my understanding, all 3 roll their blaster skill, whoever rolls the highest goes first.

Technically, all characters involved in combat effect one another. If Rebel 1's blaster hits the stormtrooper first, then it will affect the difficulty of Rebel 2's shot. Plus, I believe that the trooper can attempt a dodge roll as a reaction skill if he so chooses.

Quote:
This could get messy with more combatants, say five rebels and five stormtroopers. If stormtrooper 1 shoots at rebel 1, stormtrooper 2 at rebel 2, etc., it would be easy to run. But if stormtrooper 1 and stormtrooper 2 shoot at rebel 1, rebel 1 shoots at stormtrooper 3, rebel 2 shoots at stormtrooper 1, etc. it seems like even if two characters in this situation aren't acting directly against one another, that we'd still need some way to determine who shoots first to cover a simpler situation like I first described.

In the second example between five rebels and five stormtroopers, if all were firing at one another regardless of targets in the first action segment of round one, would you just have all ten roll blaster skill rolls and have the shots happen in order of highest to lowest, and then anyone hit would lose their upcoming shot?

I would run it the same as above, although rather than rolling each individual stormtrooper, I would probably roll just once for the entire group and have that difficulty set across the board for my rebels.
KPeterson
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Timing of actions question Reply with quote

Toric wrote:
Each combatant declares one action for the first round. Rebel 1 will fire at the Stormtrooper. Rebel 2 will fire at the stormtrooper. The stormtrooper will fire at Rebel 2.

The rules state that it doesn't matter when actions happen in a round except for when one characters skill use affects another characters skill use.

I'd agree that this is definitely a case where Rebel 1's skill use could affect the skill use by the stormtrooper - even if Rebel 1 is not being targeted in return. The initiative system ranking is very important in this case, because clearly the actions of all 3 participants will affect one another. So, adhering to that rule is logical.

I think that the exception is in the case where you have other characters performing actions that have no involvement in the combat.

Lets say you have two characters behind cover - or in an adjacent room while this firefight is going on. One of the characters is injured, and the other is applying a medpack to them. And there's an astromech droid out of the line of fire, attempting to access the floorplans of the installation that the firefight is taking place in. It doesn't really matter, during the round, when the medpack roll or the 'hacking' attempt roll is made. It'll be successful, or not, and just happen regardless of what anyone else is doing.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pit, Toric! Did you see this recent discussion of 1e action segments? It certainly can get messy. I think this is why they added initiative to future editions of the game system.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Toric
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Whill, yes I did see that thread but wasn't sure I saw a specific example like mine in there. At any rate, I believe I have a pretty good handle on how combat should work by the book in first edition now. I certainly understand why an initiative system was added. Pretty much every roleplaying game has one. But I do believe I will try out the first edition combat rounds for awhile as I think I can handle them now and I don't think it will be that confusing really. If it ends up being so, I will consider using an initiative system like 2e's perception rolls.
Lord Zash
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Toric!
I ended up with some sort of initiative because it was driving me a bit crazy (when different groups of PC/NPC affecting each other actions). If you run a couple of combats with your group as per 1st edition, would you mind writing an example if you got a bit of time please?

It's one of those things that I think if I see done I'll learn that way not just by reading it in the rules.
Toric
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing, Zash! I am running my first session this Sunday and I will try to take mental notes on how it all works out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: