The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Shields as Cover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Shields as Cover Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will alow my players to decide since they live with the results on both ends - doing damage and receiving it. Regardless, your Shields house rules and Shields as Cover house rule has been very popular.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I think I will alow my players to decide since they live with the results on both ends - doing damage and receiving it.

An excellent suggestion, since it also allows you as a GM to observe the results of both rule choices in practice without interrupting the flow of the game.

Quote:
Regardless, your Shields house rules and Shields as Cover house rule has been very popular.

Good to hear. I always felt like Shields got the short end of the stick in combat, and it took a long time and quite a few steps to arrive at their current form, so it's good to know that work is appreciated.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever thought of using these rules for Armor as Cover/Protection to resist damage for characters? Granted, it would make blast vests and helm only minimally and rarely useful against blasters, but it kind of feels right... it can prevent a 'stun' result, but not much else.

Actually, as I think about it, it has the potential be be much more effective. If the blast helm (+1 versus energy) is used to resist a blaster damage result of 9, the difference is 8, so the blast helm is lightly damaged and the character now receives the damage from the blaster -2D). Not too bad for a lowly blast helm, but I imagine a lightly damaged blast helm has no effect (-1D).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see them as two different forms of protection, with the distinction being that one is "on" the user - literally wearing it - while the other is at a slight distance. That distance is what creates the difference, that one is treated as a separate object that provides Cover while the other adds to the individual's aggregate resistance to damage.

Part of my reasoning for the Shields as Cover rule was the recognition that, like other forms of Cover, Shields are projected at some distance from the ship's hull. Other types of Shields (Particle, which I call Navigation Shields) are either flush with the ship's hull (or so close as to make no difference) or take the form of internal reinforcement like tensor fields (basically, Trek-style structural integrity fields).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I'm very much in favor of incorporating man-portable shields like this. They actually were included in some of the initial stormtrooper concept art. Those I would treat as movable Cover, with the trooper's armor stacking with their Strength against any shots that get through.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: