The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Looks like G+ is going away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Looks like G+ is going away. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Looks like G+ is going away. Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45792349

With G+ shutting down, we may see an uptick in activity here on the forums.
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think majority will migrate to FB and Reddit, Rancor Pit will come in as the third most popular option. But I think there is lots of overlap already. I'm for instance, am active on all the largest five already.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just wondering what this means for those of us D6 SWU people who use Google+ Communities to coordinate our fanbooks.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I'm just wondering what this means for those of us D6 SWU people who use Google+ Communities to coordinate our fanbooks.

For now, G+ is still open for the immediate future. It's not going to be fully phased out until August of next year. After that, there are other platforms where private groups can work; the Adventurer's Journal has its own group over on FB, for example.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that gives us 10 months to phase out and move to different platforms, that's something.

We fear change.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Ok, that gives us 10 months to phase out and move to different platforms, that's something.

We fear change.

There's always MySpace.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

We fear change.

There's always MySpace.

Now you're just being mean.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Looks like G+ is going away. Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45792349

With G+ shutting down, we may see an uptick in activity here on the forums.

G+ has some great stuff and great people, but I've always found G+ to not be that user friendly.

OuttaWindu wrote:
I think majority will migrate to FB and Reddit, Rancor Pit will come in as the third most popular option. But I think there is lots of overlap already. I'm for instance, am active on all the largest five already.

I'm a total nube on SW D6 Discord, and I've never used Reddit. I use Facebook which is superior to G+, but I don't think Facebook is even nearly as good a format as the traditional forum format we have here.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my feed, it looks like a lot of folks are jumping ship and using MeWe instead of going back to the book of faces.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Looks like G+ is going away. Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
G+ has some great stuff and great people, but I've always found G+ to not be that user friendly.

I found it ALOT easier to use than Discord. Actually trying to initially sign on G+ was a complete pain in the @$$, though.

Whill wrote:
I'm a total nube on SW D6 Discord, and I've never used Reddit. I use Facebook which is superior to G+, but I don't think Facebook is even nearly as good a format as the traditional forum format we have here.

Yeah, of all the formats of SWU communities I've seen, this traditional forum format is by far the easiest (for me) to use. But because it's also the oldest of these formats, it makes sense that we'd be more familiar with it. But then again, this forum is only good for exchanging posts. There are some functions that a forum like this can't do (or can't do as efficiently) like uploading, storing and downloading files that can be accessed by selected members. Posting links is one thing; being able to download multiple chapter files for editing and post new edited files into a Google Docs folder is something else.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any of Googles other services are going away. Gmail, Gdrive, and whatnot shouldn't be affected, and you were able to selectively share long before G+ was really a thing.

I've got mixed feelings about MeWe, it looks like it could be okay, however I'm not sure that I want to put in the effort to learn another new interface just yet.

I haven't really dealt with Reddit, and I loathe Facebook, partially for the way it organizes posts, but mainly for social reasons. It gave me a look into the side of people that I really didn't want to see. Lots of flaming, lots of bashing, and just ugliness, so I deleted my account. Laughing
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can still access the fan-made material, I'm less concerned. I'm not at all involved in G+ otherwise.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Looks like G+ is going away. Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
It gave me a look into the side of people that I really didn't want to see. Lots of flaming, lots of bashing, and just ugliness, so I deleted my account. Laughing

I don't blame you, but I take it then you've never been on Twitter, one giant flaming ugly bash-fest. Way worse than Facebook. I turned off almost all notifications to Twitter and stopped going.

Facebook is not great but not bad when I unfollow certain friends and family members to not see their ugliness, and block certain people in groups so I can't see their posts and they can't see mine.

Sutehp wrote:
Yeah, of all the formats of SWU communities I've seen, this traditional forum format is by far the easiest (for me) to use. But because it's also the oldest of these formats, it makes sense that we'd be more familiar with it. But then again, this forum is only good for exchanging posts. There are some functions that a forum like this can't do (or can't do as efficiently) like uploading, storing and downloading files that can be accessed by selected members. Posting links is one thing; being able to download multiple chapter files for editing and post new edited files into a Google Docs folder is something else.

I'm not saying there aren't uses for other formats and that there aren't some features that we simply don't have here. At some point in the future, things will get better here when we upgrade to more modern forum software (Don't ask me when). We'll probably get some new features then. But overall, for general discussion of the game, forums are superior, even this old one. Everything is much more organized and easy to find.

And I did add a major feature to the Pit, the digital Library of Fan-Made Supplements. It's leaps and bounds better than the old system of digging through a zillion posts for dead links or links to spyware-laden downloads. You don't have to even download anything if you have a decent internet connection speed. You can go to the Library, enter a document and read it there. It is much easier for me to look up something online than navigating to my copy of the document and opening it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Exodus: A Short Comparison of the Alternatives for the SWD6 Community

A short and comparison for G+ alternatives when it finally shuts down. My personal opinion is to mainly migrate to the two most popular/active ones, but also to come here for that sweet longievety that a normal forum fromat provides over the fluctuations and fickleness of social media platforms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: