The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rank the Star Wars films (old)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Rank the Star Wars films (old)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favorite Star Wars film?
Star Wars: A New Hope
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
The Empire Strikes Back
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Return of the Jedi
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
The Phantom Menace
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Attack of the Clones
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Revenge of the Sith
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Force Awakens
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Rogue One
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
The Last Jedi
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Solo
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Rank the Star Wars films (old) Reply with quote

Here is a user summary post of the previous film rankings thread (started after Rogue One came out) ordered from newest post to oldest post. I realized that adding poll options for the #1 favorite film in that thread could become inaccurate since you can't change your vote once cast and thus could not choose a newer film (I seem to recall some people feeling TLJ was their new fave). And even if not choosing a new film, your fave could still change from year to year. So I closed that thread and created this new thread with a fresh poll that includes Solo.

We have 10 Star Wars movies now. You know what to do. Vote for your #1 favorite Star Wars film in the poll, and please post a reply with your rankings of the Star Wars movies by personal preference. Feel free to give commentary with your rankings and discuss them, but let us please refrain from bashing. Here are my rankings currently:

1. Star Wars: A New Hope
2. Rogue One
3. The Force Awakens
4. The Phantom Menace
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Return of the Jedi
7. Solo
8. The Empire Strikes Back
9. Attack of the Clones
10. The Last Jedi

For me, there were a few changes besides adding Solo. RO and TFA traded places, plus AotC and TLJ traded places. What are your rankings?

EDIT: I thought it would go without saying that you should feel free to not rank or discuss movies you haven't seen yet, but I guess not so here it is. Of course, please feel free to not rank movies you have seen too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current rankings:

1. Rogue One
2. Star Wars: A New Hope
3. The Empire Strikes Back
4. Solo
5. Return of the Jedi
6. The Force Awakens
7. The Last Jedi
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. The Phantom Menace
10. Attack of the Clones

I thought Rogue One was absolutely brilliant and almost perfectly captured the spirit of ANH, so much so that watching them back to back is nearly seamless. Which of course is what Gareth Edwards and the rest were going for.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my list and $0.02:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Star Wars
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Force Awakens
5. Solo
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Rogue One
8. Attack of the Clones
9. Revenge of the Sith
10. The Last Jedi

I need to have a good time when I see a movie, and the original trilogy and The Force Awakens (which stole from them) did that for me. Solo had some, as did The Phantom Menace, but the others on my list lacked in the fun my inner child demands. Revenge of the Sith was the first time I left the theater horribly disappointed, though The Last Jedi was the one that really made me question seeing any more Star Wars movies at the cinema.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 rogue one
2 the empire strikes back
3 a new hope
4 return of the Jedi
5 solo
6 the force awakens
7 the phantom menace
8 the revenge of the sith
9 attack of the clones
10 the last jedi

This list will change. Rogue one is on top now because it has been the one I have watched the most since it was released.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it would be:

#10 = Attack of the Clones
#9 = The Phantom Menace
#8 = Revenge of the Sith
#7 = Solo
#6 = The Force Awakens
#5 = The Last Jedi
#4 = Rogue One
#3 = Return of the Jedi
#2 = Empire Strikes Back
#1 = Star Wars
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My list is going to have an omission, because I refuse to see it in the theaters, and probably will wait to see it after its released on Blu-ray/DVD, and I'll explain my reasons afterwards...

#1 - Empire Strikes Back
#2 - Return of the Jedi
#3 - Rogue One
#4 - The Force Awakens
#5 - A New Hope
#6 - Revenge of the Sith
#7 - Attack of the Clones
#8 - The Last Jedi
#9 - The Phantom Menace

I currently haven't seen Solo, so it wouldn't be fair for me to rank it at the bottom.

EDIT BY WHILL: I moved the rest of this post to the original speculation thread for Solo because it had nothing to do with your above rankings for the movies you have seen.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't know if I can make a list at the moment that isn't full of wiggle room. Instead, I'm going to arrange them into three lists: Hot, Not, and Squat

Hot (Ones I like)
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Rogue One
Solo
The Force Awakens

Not (ones I do not like)
The Phantom Menance
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith

Squat (not ranked)
The Last Jedi

I've only seen TLJ once, and I liked it at the time, but I also haven't had the second or third watch-through I like to really judge a movie that's controversial. Solo hasn't seemed nearly as controversial from a plot standpoint.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO GOOD
1. Star Wars
2. Empire
3. Jedi
4. Force Awakens

FUN AND NOSTALGIC
5. Ewoks 2
6. Ewoks 1

OKAY
7. Solo
siksiks
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1- Rogue One
2- Empire
3- Star Wars
4- Return of the Jedi
5- Revenge of the Sith
6- Solo
7- the Force Awakens
8- Attack of the clones
9- The last Jedi
10- The Phantom menace

TPM will always be the worst for me because Jar Jar. I hated Full House growing up and Jar Jar talked like an Olsen twin
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/2 - Star Wars/The Empire Strikes Back. It's tough for me to say which is "better" or even which I enjoy more. There are things I love about both. I think Star Wars is a near-perfect self-contained film, but I love Empire's deepening of the characterization and expansion of the universe.

3 - The Last Jedi. It would take me a while to explain why I love this film, but I really, really love it. I think it could lead to an incredible expansion of how Star Wars functions, beyond the confines of reiterating the OT. I think it has real depth to it, and I appreciate many of the messages within the story.

4 - Return of the Jedi. My first Star Wars theatrical experience. It's a fun movie that I loved as a kid, but I find that it hasn't aged as well for me. I still enjoy it, but I also look at it and see a ton of "What ifs" where the story could have gone somewhere more interesting if Lucas just hadn't wanted to be done with it all. Still, it wraps up the OT, and I find that it still mostly works.

5 -- Rogue One. I love the feel of this film. While watching it it seemed to me like someone took a great session of the D6 game and turned it into a cool movie. I still think it has some flaws to it in terms of characterization, but it nails the vibe of OT-era Star Wars.

6 -- Revenge of the Sith. I find Anakin's reasons for turning to the Dark Side to be...kinda off. I also find the actual execution of his turning to be waaaaaay too abrupt. But, I actually can enjoy the movie now, after having gotten into the Clone Wars cartoon.

7 -- The Force Awakens. I love the new leads. I liked the "return to form" that the film presented. But it's got a lot of problems in terms of JJ's reliance on mystery box BS, pacing issues, and I think it was a real mistake to just hurl the audience into the middle of everything with barely any explanation for what the hell happened to bring us here.

8 -- Attack of the Clones. Meh. The arena battle and Battle of Geonosis are cool and I used to demo my sound system with that. But otherwise, the film just seems muddled and lacking in focus. I think it works better as an opening chapter of a story, rather than a middle one.

??? -- Solo. Haven't seen it yet. I'll get around to it eventually. Pretty sure it'll be higher than TPM, though!

100000000000000 -- The Phantom Menace. So disappointing. It's just...not a movie I care to watch ever. Which is a shame, because Liam Neeson is great in it. But the rest of it I can do without.
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Rogue One
4. A New Hope
5. Solo
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Revenge of the Sith
8. Attack of the Clones
9. The Force Awakens
10. The Last Jedi
Starbeard
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine strangely go more or less in production order: 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, with the non-episodes scattered about here and there.

I tend to just group them in broad categories though, rather than ranking them individually. Best in Show means I have no way of getting tired of them, while D-List means I'd probably be happy even if I only watched them once every decade or so.

Best In Show
Star Wars
Empire & Jedi
American Graffiti (I like to think of this as a sort of Episode 3.5—Toad is Luke, of course)

A List
Holiday Special
Star Tours
Captain EO (I also like to think of this as an alternate take in the Star Wars family, maybe what things look like at the other side of the galaxy)
E.T. (it's about Star Wars dweebs living out their fantasy, that counts in my book)

B List
The Phantom Menace
Ewok movies
Willow Smile
80s Cartoons

C List
Attack of the Clones & Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One & Solo

D List
Force Awakens & Last Jedi

Haven't seen any of the Clone Wars or Rebels cartoons yet, unfortunately.

Last edited by Starbeard on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. TPM (because this movie defines the visual representation of what a Jedi is/can be... and Jedi are what sets Star Wars apart from other science fiction)
2. ANH (because it's just a great film. If I like Luke as a character more, this would probably be #1... but I honestly can't stand Luke Skywalker... am I weird?)
3. RotS (this is probably the "best" movie of the prequels from a technical/academic stand point, but, alas, no character in Star Wars lives up to Qui-Gon Jinn, also, the LS choreography bores me in this one... a lot).
4. ESB (Most popular "favorite" SW movie, but I feel like what it needed was a reason for the audience to "root" for Vader [but against Palpatine] before closing the movie out... had it given Vader some kind of redeeming quality... even a ruthless one where he disobeys the emperor or something, it might be my favorite)
5. AotC (this is probably the "worst" movie in the saga from a "technical/academic" stand point... but I loathe the Jabba's skiff scene so much that this movie beats out RotJ for that reason alone).
6. RotJ
10. TFA

Never saw Solo, (probably won't). Didn't like R1 or TLJ at all. TFA was exciting at first, but in retrospect, I really have no desire to ever watch it again... there's just something bland about it that causes it not to click for me. But I'd say my opinion of it is "neutral," hence, it at least makes the list, albeit behind three empty slots. Razz
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: