The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Grenades and other explosives
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Grenades and other explosives Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Grenades and other explosives Reply with quote

How many here have made 'house' rules governing whether a grenade goes boom, if it is within the radius of another explosion?
What are those rules?

EG.
1) Say trooper A has 2 grenades on his belt, and he is within 3 meters (primary blast radius) of trooper B, who is next to trooper C (who both also have 2 grenades). If i shot grenade #1 on trooper A would the resultant explosion cause grenade 2 to go off on trooper A. Would it cause trooper B or C's grenades to go off.

2) Say a grenade was laid in the brush near some explosives (or grenade boxes that were open). I shoot grenade, will it cause the others to go boom!
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Example one would be a very freak accident. Probably like a 10% chance at most. (we use D100 too)

Example two would be very probable, if they are setting on top of each other, i would say you have a very big boom on your hands.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You now have 2 forum threads that address this issue, this is known as double posting.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one only touched on this subject. But if needed, can i delete (or have a mod do it) this thread?
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say grenades are protected while being carried by someone.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assign a toughness to grenades, making them as tough as a metal door. Any grenade that does not survive the blast will go off.

In which case, I have a few rolls to make.

If the blaster was strong enough, it is a sure bet you just killed 3 storm troopers and did a lot of colateral damage.
to finance my 'vette!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
I assign a toughness to grenades, making them as tough as a metal door. Any grenade that does not survive the blast will go off.

This is a decent way of handling it too. If the hit results in the equivalent of Destroyed on the damage track, then allow the grenade to detonate. Usually this will only happen when the grenades/explosives are in direct physical contact, as otherwise the blast disipates and lacks sufficient poser to crack the casing. The outer shell of the grenade is harder than it may seem.
Also, as I mentioned in my post in the other thread that addressed this, not all sci-fi grenades rely on heat/energy to detonate, and such types would simply be rendered useless by the hit.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chemical explosive triggers cannot be set of by extreme heat or a blaster, but a precise chemical reaction.

Thermal Detonators are basically Micro-Nukes, and can only be set off by a precision reaction, or another thermal detonator. I give them the toughness of blast doors to destroy them with a blaster.

Proton Torpedos (and other proton based weapons) require a precise energy reaction within the core of the weapon. Outside influence of all kinds tend to destroy them. Toughness of the torpedo is usually that of a blast door.

Concussion missiles, usually the same as a grenade. But a LOT bigger.

Thermite works the way it does in real life. Requires the heat from a magnesium or similar trigger to set it off. Certain blasters can provide this on a good roll. Very difficult to set off lone thermite. Easy difficulty to ignite magnesium, however. There is always the possibility of another kind of trigger in the thermite that is not as volatile as magnesium.

IRL, I love bombs. This may sound like a complicated set of rules to most, but it is second nature to me.
to finance my 'vette!
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one way to test, go to your local army navy surplus, buy some empty grenades, fill em with GP, shoot em. Razz
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehlin, I have done this.

Half the time, it goes BOOM! The other half the time, you have a lot of gunpowder to clean up. That stuff just flies everywhere in a cloud when not ignited, than it seems not even fire gets rid of it. Blech!
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thermal Detonators are basically Micro-Nukes, and can only be set off by a precision reaction, or another thermal detonator. I give them the toughness of blast doors to destroy them with a blaster.

With everything i have read on TDs, says they are highly unstable, and sometimes even a slight jarring will set them off.... Was i wrong in what i perceived from the reading material?
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they were actually very stable, afterall they -are- very popular. People wouldn't like them too much if they were just exploding randomly.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely stable. You can rip one in half and everthying would be just fine and dandy, if you can figure out how to rip one in half.

Powered Armor was holding the detonator, already started the trigger. Jedi TKs the detonator over to him... but only gets the explosive part, not the control. Total panicking for a good 30 seconds while the guy in power armor merely watched the countdown.

Yeah, those detonators are very tough cookies. They only go off when they friggin feel like it, no sooner. But if you are thinking of taking a hammer to one to prove this, don't hit the ignition switch.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, not how i read them. When i get home, i will re-read the relevant section and post it.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong bro, i just would think that the wouldn't be used in military action if they were that unstable, unless said military's best weapon is suicide bombers... then theyd be great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: