The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lurkers and Non-Posting Members
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Lurkers and Non-Posting Members Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Lurkers and Non-Posting Members Reply with quote

This year, the Rancor Pit has gotten 5,000 - 7,000 unique visitors per month. They visit 11,000 - 14,000 times per month, visiting 200,000 - 600,000 web pages per month. That's all not counting bots! If you spend much time here at all you'll quickly realize that the vast majority of these visitors are lurking, whether they are non-registered visitors or non-posting members. Of course lurking is perfectly acceptable if you like to read the forums and don't have anything to say.

Although new member registrations have doubled since I became admin of the Rancor Pit, the majority of new users still don't post anything at all. This doesn't make much sense to me. If you aren't going to interact with anyone here, literally the only thing you can do here as a logged-in member that you can't do lurking is to vote in Polls. Polls are rare here and have low participation, so people aren't registering just to vote in Polls.

If you don't plan to interact with anyone here, then there is no need to even register. There is no content you get registered and logged-in that you can't get by lurking.

However, if you want to become a part of the discussion at the internet's premier website devoted to The Star Wars Roleplaying Game by West End Games, then please do register and participate here at the Pit! Even occasional posting is better than nothing. All current registered users who don't post anything, please consider joining the conversation!

Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have to be registered and logged in to use the search function, so maybe they're looking for something in particular.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I think you may have to be registered and logged in to use the search function, so maybe they're looking for something in particular.

That's true. many sites i've joined, one has to register to search the forum.. so maybe that's what many of those non-posters are doing.
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping track of new posts is also one reason.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Search function Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

That's true.

That's not true here. If either one of you had logged out and tested it, you would have seen that the Search function works the same logged in or not.

garhkal wrote:
many sites i've joined, one has to register to search the forum.. so maybe that's what many of those non-posters are doing.

If that's what they are doing, then they are not trying it first.

For anyone reading this, the Search function does work without being registered or logged in. I use the Search function without being logged in all the time.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OuttaWindu wrote:
Keeping track of new posts is also one reason.

I forgot about that. 'Tis true, you do have to be logged in to use the "View posts since last visit" feature. Maybe that's what a lot of these non-posting registrants are doing. They are really committed to reading everything but not posting anything.

I guess registering people who don't participate is my lot in life then. C'est la vie.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
siksiks
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I just got approved I guess I will chime in. I am fairly new in GM terms. I have run 3 adventures with the FFG system and am in the middle of running Starfall as my first d6 adventure.

I am here to learn and give my players the best experience I can. I don't have a whole lot to add and any question I have had has been asked before.

I am grateful to you all for sharing your knowledge and experience here and I know I am far from the only one.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the pit!

We're here to help in any way we can, even if sometimes we argue as to how to go about it.

Starfall always looked like a fun adventure, but I've never had the opportunity to run or play in it, so I hope that you'll share your experience with us!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CB Radio slang for it is "sandbagging," so for all you sandbaggers out there, enjoy the show. And watch out for garhkal; he bites.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very apropos comparison.

siksiks wrote:
Since I just got approved I guess I will chime in. I am fairly new in GM terms. I have run 3 adventures with the FFG system and am in the middle of running Starfall as my first d6 adventure.

I am here to learn and give my players the best experience I can. I don't have a whole lot to add and any question I have had has been asked before.

I am grateful to you all for sharing your knowledge and experience here and I know I am far from the only one.

Welcome. Asking questions is interacting with others and we are happy to answer. And please consider that is still a great service to the lurker community. For every question you ask, there are potentially dozens of people with the same question not asking.

I've got no issues whatsoever with lurking. This website is a community service, and the bandwidth is available to handle the thousands that read it and use it. I was just on about people registering and never posting. That no longer applies to you.

Smile
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to toot my own horn (aw, who am I kidding? 8) ), but I just want to say that in less than two years of being a member of the Rancor Pit, I've made 1,241 posts, which should make me one of the most prolific posters per capita (did I use that term right?) on this forum. I think I am immune to any scurrilous and defamatory accusations that I have never posted on this forum. 8)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still got a ways to go, to reach my level of gloriousness! 8)
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imagine where my post count might be if...

• I didn't take a few 3-5 year Hiatus
• I hadn't become Jaded and bitter by all the Prequel/Sequel/OT arguments across the various RPG forums of the early millennium
• I Still had a group and played often
• I wasn't overwhelmed with my life in the real world and problems associated with it.

I had so much wonderful D6 stuff planned that has gone unfinished or become lost to water damage or hardware failure.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Still got a ways to go, to reach my level of gloriousness! 8)

Indeed. Indeed, sir. Laughing

KageRyu wrote:
Just imagine where my post count might be if...

• I didn't take a few 3-5 year Hiatus
• I hadn't become Jaded and bitter by all the Prequel/Sequel/OT arguments across the various RPG forums of the early millennium
• I Still had a group and played often
• I wasn't overwhelmed with my life in the r[e]al world and problems associated with it.

I had so much wonderful D6 stuff planned that has gone unfinished or become lost to water damage or hardware failure.

Ouch. I sympathize with your loss. Crying or Very sad (That reminds me, I need to back up my computer drive again, as well as replace all the plastic magazine bags protecting my RPG books.) Shocked
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been keeping mine in a hard drive in a Ziploc bag in my gun safe...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: