The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Preferred Version of Lightsaber Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Preferred Version of Lightsaber Combat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your preferred version for Lightsaber Combat: 1E, 2E or 2R&E, and why?
1E
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
2E
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
2R&E
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Combination (Please Explain)
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
None of the Above (Please Explain)
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Preferred Version of Lightsaber Combat Reply with quote

I'm wrangling with an alternate version of Lightsaber and LSC, but I'd like some input as to which system handled it the best, and why.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the rules for the force power for lightsaber combat in 2e. But I would prefer that there no need to roll for a power, much less two. The best part about this rule is that Control dice can be added AND subtracted to the lightsaber damage.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2e for me (for now). Like Griff, i liked you could add or subtract dice to the damage roll. BUT i disagree in that it "shouldn't require you to roll to activate". All force powers should require a roll to activate.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the above. I am beginning to believe that there should be no LSC combat power. Just like in 1 edition: sense was added to LS skill only for deflection – but this is for another topic.
Pros for no adding sense to ls skill and control for damage:
1) In the movies we see situations in which Jedi and Sith use brawling/martial arts skills while using lightsaber. As per RAW it is unnecessary MAP generator as such skills are outmatched by LS+sense combo to attack and parry. Yet, in movies these are quite useful.
2) LS + sense skill to hit make the disproportion between fighting characters even greater. For example 8D LS + 8D Sense vs 6D LS + 6D Sense = 4D difference. Normally it would be just 2D for LS skill alone. Plus the defender would be able to perform full parry, which is impossible for normal LSC rules as you use multiple skills during round.
3) Control added to damage. I think it’s too much especially if it is combined with ROE addtional damage. No chance for cinematic fights Jedi vs Sith. It is basically fight to the first strike.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every lightsaber battle in the films is decided by the first successful hit.

I like what I think is 1e best, but not even sure about that. I've just written up a draft of al 7 forms that I can send you. You'll probably not like that they aren't advanced skills, but there may be something there to get the cogs turning. Give me a day or so and I'll send you a copy.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accidentally omitted: "It is basically fight to the first strike, which occurs in the very first rounds"
Meanwhile in the movies I see non Force Sensitive characters that battle with Force sensitives for more than one round.

Yes, please send me a copy. I am continuously collecting various ideas/hints from different topics on this forum. Smile
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my house ruled way of running it using a combination of Dueling Sabers, R&E, (A)Lightsaber Forms, and Half Sense & Control for LSC. I'm happy with the way it runs right now.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
I accidentally omitted: "It is basically fight to the first strike, which occurs in the very first rounds"
Meanwhile in the movies I see non Force Sensitive characters that battle with Force sensitives for more than one round.

I tried to address this when I wrote up the Dueling Sabers rule set, although it needs an update. By inserting a stalemate into the 0-10 result on the chart, it created a broad window (20 point spread) where a lightsaber battle would remain unresolved as the duelist feinted and maneuvered, trying to gain advantage and build up to something more potent several rounds into the battle.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

I like what I think is 1e best, but not even sure about that. I've just written up a draft of al 7 forms that I can send you. You'll probably not like that they aren't advanced skills, but there may be something there to get the cogs turning. Give me a day or so and I'll send you a copy.

Technically not true, in the obi-qui gon vs maul fight, obi-wan got kicked twice.. BUT normally yea, 1st hit is a killer (or disable as in the Dooku vs Ani/obi fight in ATOC)
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Naaman wrote:

Technically not true, in the obi-qui gon vs maul fight, obi-wan got kicked twice.. BUT normally yea, 1st hit is a killer (or disable as in the Dooku vs Ani/obi fight in ATOC)

dot... dot... dot... Rolling Eyes
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Naaman wrote:

Well, Luke nicked Vader's shoulder armor in ESB without much fuss.

I prefer the version of lightsaber combat in SWMB (either edition). Smile
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the difference between the Lightsaber Combat power in 2e and in 2e R&E? I didn't do a word-for-word comparison, but after a quick read through both of them, it looks like they're the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: