The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

“Scarab” Modified Gallofree medium transport
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> “Scarab” Modified Gallofree medium transport Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign


Joined: 23 Jun 2018
Posts: 36
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: “Scarab” Modified Gallofree medium transport Reply with quote

“Scarab” Modified Gallofree Medium Transport

Outer hull of the ship shows almost no signs of modifications, even mounted cargo containers seem to be unaltered, but that is exactly what the observer should think when passing her. She has full closed hull with full life support inside, with added layer of containers outside to imitate typical Gallofree medium transport large cargo space. Inside there are two decks, top deck called crew deck and lower deck called cargo deck, which is also engineering deck giving access to all systems of the ship and cargo holds. There are four smaller (each 500 metric tons) holds, two on the fore and the aft, and four larger on the midship (each 2000 metric tons), all placed symmetrically on along the longitudinal axis of the ship. Each cargo hold has its own lifting ramp to load and unload cargo without decompressing the ship. Cargo holds have also separate life support so it is possible to transport refugees and evacuate troops. Engine room and all other systems (among other life support) are located on the stern. Small recon/escape shuttle is located on the top of the stern, and is accessible from both decks.
Crew quarters, lounge, galley, medical room, wash room, steering room (bridge) are located on top crew deck. Steering room has semicircle shape and is designed for three people. It is located on the bow of the ship and accessible from both top and lower deck (by a lift and stairs).
She is equipped with retractable starboard an port gun well.

The ship was commissioned by an independent pilot engineer Syrin "Lucky" Zendu. She is a near human operating in the Outer Rim and Expansion Region. She had helped few times Rebels in need, organizing evacuation of settlements from compromised safe worlds, thus she became trusted ally for many Rebel cells scattered in the Outer Rim. She had done few long-distance transports for the Corporate Sector to formally unexplored parts of the Galaxy, which provided her with considerable income. She invested in a larger and more advanced space transport and sold “Scarab” to some smuggler in the Outer Rim.

Craft: “Scarab” Modified Gallofree medium transport
Type: Medium Transport
Scale: Capital, 90 m
Skill: Space transports: Gallofree transport
Crew: 5; skeleton 2
Passengers: 6 (modified)
Crew skill: starship gunnery, astrogation, sensors
Cargo Capacity: 10 000 tons
Consumables: 4 months
Cost: 300 000 (used and modified), 350 000 (new), 125 000 (used)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2 (modified)
Nav Computer: yes (modified)
Space: 7 (modified)
Atmosphere: 335; 950 km/h (modified)
Hull: 2D
Shields: 2D (modified)
Sensors:
Passive: 30/1D
Scan: 65/2D
Search: 110/3D
Focus: 4/4D
Weapons:
Blaster Cannon
Fire Arc: Turret, right side
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-5/10/17
Atmosphere Range: 100-500/1/1.7 km
Damage: 5D
Blaster Cannon
Fire Arc: Turret, left side
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-5/10/17
Atmosphere Range: 100-500/1/1.7 km
Damage: 5D
_________________
Probability simply does not apply to dice during a RPG session. Therefore, do not share dice with other players.


Last edited by Ten-20-Three on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 12026
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, Ohio.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.. When you say "Nav comp (Modified)" what exactly is it's modification?
_________________
Confuscious sayeth, don't wash cat while drunk!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zarn
Captain
Captain


Joined: 17 Jun 2014
Posts: 679
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not OP, obviously, but oddly enough the GR-75 doesn't have a Nav computer line in its statistics, nor does it say anything on Wookieepedia about a nav system.

So the modification seems to be that it even is there. Which doesn't make much sense; it's more than big enough to run a nav computer as a matter of course - and the only option I can think of would be to run it with an astromech (isn't called out in the flavor text) or to slave it to someone else's ship (a practice generally not used because of EU things).

There's no hyperdrive backup there either, so if the main drive blows and you're somewhere not in-system when that happens (and it's called space because there's a lot of it), you're dead if you can't repair it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign


Joined: 23 Jun 2018
Posts: 36
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Nice.. When you say "Nav comp (Modified)" what exactly is it's modification?


I added (modified) for each element which is different from the standard version. In this case, the modification means that the ship is equipped with nav computer.
_________________
Probability simply does not apply to dice during a RPG session. Therefore, do not share dice with other players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign


Joined: 23 Jun 2018
Posts: 36
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
So the modification seems to be that it even is there. Which doesn't make much sense; it's more than big enough to run a nav computer as a matter of course - and the only option I can think of would be to run it with an astromech (isn't called out in the flavor text) or to slave it to someone else's ship (a practice generally not used because of EU things).


I did not add that Syrin Zendu has few spy droids, astromech droid, explorer droid, scout droid (dog shaped), security droid (for personal protection) and two gunner droids, all of them not to fancy, mostly used military equipment, but it still allows her to operate almost independently, without any shareholders/partners.

Zarn wrote:
There's no hyperdrive backup there either, so if the main drive blows and you're somewhere not in-system when that happens (and it's called space because there's a lot of it), you're dead if you can't repair it.


Well, I can't agree with your opinion, although she lacks backup, she still has recon/escape shuttle atop.
This was Zendu’s first modified ship which she commissioned, so of course there were many mistakes and difficult compromises made, lack of backup is just one among many, but still that’s what she is, not perfect. Of course, further modifications are possible at the expense of the cargo space.
_________________
Probability simply does not apply to dice during a RPG session. Therefore, do not share dice with other players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral


Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 2115
Location: Pullman, WA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting ship. Thanks for the share!

Are you going to post some stats for Syrin?
_________________
RR
________________________________________________________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain


Joined: 10 May 2006
Posts: 811
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good armed transport! Silly question: The description lists both port and starboard weapons but both turret descriptions say left side.

Looks like a good ship! Smile
_________________
Aha!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign


Joined: 23 Jun 2018
Posts: 36
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
The description lists both port and starboard weapons but both turret descriptions say left side.


Thank you for noticing! Already corrected.
_________________
Probability simply does not apply to dice during a RPG session. Therefore, do not share dice with other players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign


Joined: 23 Jun 2018
Posts: 36
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Are you going to post some stats for Syrin?


Yes, I can do that, I will just ask the player if she doesn't mind.
I think it will happen towards end of the weekend.
_________________
Probability simply does not apply to dice during a RPG session. Therefore, do not share dice with other players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 01 Nov 2016
Posts: 1432
Location: Washington, DC (AKA Inside the Beltway)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
That's a good armed transport!

Looks like a good ship! Smile


Funny thing I noticed in Rogue One: These ships are used by the rebels at the Battle of Scarif, which I thought at the time was silly because I always thought the CR-75 was unarmed. As it turns out, according to Wookieepedia, they are armed, if only lightly with 4 twin laser cannons. Before I found this out, the only rationalization I could come up with for why the rebels would send unarmed transports into battle was to serve as "soak units," basically additional targets for the Imperials that would soak firepower while the more heavily armed rebel ships blasted their targets without having to deal with the additional firepower that would have been aimed at them if the soak units weren't there. That would make the pilots of the Gallofree ships exceptionally brave because they were essentially volunteering for suicide missions every time they flew.

Good to know I was wrong: I always knew the rebels were brave, but I never wanted to think they were crazy.
_________________
Sutehp's RPG Goodies
Only some of it is for D6 Star Wars.
Just repurchased the X-Wing and Tie Fighter flight sim games. I forgot how much I missed them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 11760
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the OP. how did you justify increasing the Space from 2 to 7?
Sutehp wrote:
Good to know I was wrong: I always knew the rebels were brave, but I never wanted to think they were crazy.

I was going to post about the various official and Legend uses of GR75s, but it ended up being big enough to merit its own topic, as opposed to highjacking this one, so here...
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign


Joined: 23 Jun 2018
Posts: 36
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
On the OP. how did you justify increasing the Space from 2 to 7?


My idea was, that if someone is to operate independently with single space transport, the craft must be faster than 2 in space. Otherwise, it will be an easy pray for first encountered pirates or privateers. With reduction of cargo capacity and probably strengthened integrity of hull due to closing the craft’s body and creating inner holds, there was enough prerequisites for more powerful engines. Space engines are generally available and affordable (even with speed of Cool, so she installed what was available on the market at that point.
_________________
Probability simply does not apply to dice during a RPG session. Therefore, do not share dice with other players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 11760
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important to note that the drives listed in Tramp Freighters are intended for Starfighter-Scale ships, not Capital-Scale ones. There is nothing official regarding equipment upgrades for ships the size of the GR75 or Action-Series Bulk Freighter.

From a balancing standpoint, one of the most heavily modified bulk freighters in the SWU is Talon Karrde's Wild Karrde, and it only has a Space of 6, while being moderately well armed and very stealthy. And that's on the personal ship of one of the more powerful smuggling lords in the galaxy. I'm curious as to the back story of the character that would allow them to field something so potent.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Naaman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral


Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 2420

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because, with a good enough backstory, the GM will allow anything!

At least... I would. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ten-20-Three
Ensign
Ensign


Joined: 23 Jun 2018
Posts: 36
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It's important to note that the drives listed in Tramp Freighters are intended for Starfighter-Scale ships, not Capital-Scale ones. There is nothing official regarding equipment upgrades for ships the size of the GR75 or Action-Series Bulk Freighter.

From a balancing standpoint, one of the most heavily modified bulk freighters in the SWU is Talon Karrde's Wild Karrde, and it only has a Space of 6, while being moderately well armed and very stealthy. And that's on the personal ship of one of the more powerful smuggling lords in the galaxy. I'm curious as to the back story of the character that would allow them to field something so potent.


To be honest I haven’t come across Talon Karrde's Wild Karrde, but in my campaigns players had modified their ships in even larger extent. I strongly believe that is a part of fun in SW Universe. If someone has built it, someone else can modify it, it happens all the time.

I think allowing only one (or even just a few) ship to modify to 7 is unbalancing – because obvious question comes – why a smuggler was able to modify his ship and no one else did? There are probably hundreds of beings with needs, potential, contacts and resources to do that. I see no reason why in so diverse universe there would be no market for refitting capital ship engines, especially in poorer worlds. I think, there would exist specialized shipyards with design bureaus which would figure it out how to refit engines to other ships in economically viable way. Usually, the restrictions would be costs, required space, power and hull integrity (I omit things like heat radiation, noise, vibrations and so on, because these technical details were probably solved in SW universe). Moreover, industry probably would manufacture more powerful engines for more demanding clients, at least for most popular series of ships – and not only small ones but large as well.
As it goes to Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters, second edition, it exactly says: All the modifications and replacements listed below were designed for light freighters (and other related ships). They should not be used for starfighters or capital combat ships. Future supplements will discuss modifications to starfighters and other types of vessels.
I do not know what does “other related ships” exactly mean – any idea? Medium freighters or even capital bulk freighter are not a starfighter or capital combat ship – so to which group they belong? Moreover, there is a declaration of rules for other types of vessels, but I don’t recall any such supplement.
In my opinion low space speed comes only from three reasons: (1) as much space as possible is dedicated for cargo, so the engine space is limited to minimum (2) there are no economical reasons to give more power to a ship which only uses space engines while approaching to orbit and preparing to jumps, (3) perhaps reliability and economical effectiveness of slower engines. There is no reason why the same ship could not be fitted with a stronger engine - they probably offer that in the shipyard in the first place.
_________________
Probability simply does not apply to dice during a RPG session. Therefore, do not share dice with other players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0