The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

GR 75 Medium Transport Variants
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> GR 75 Medium Transport Variants Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: WIP Charter Transport Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:
An idea i had - a privately-owned GR-75 converted into a Troop Transport during the Clone Wars.
Quote:
-possibly a Smuggling ship before the CW...
-c.15 BBY/4 EY, has a Clone Commando as the Cook & other retired Clones as Crew
-in the post-CW eras, takes charters to transport passengers, rarely if ever getting Imperial charters...

Also, a private troop ship is awfully mission specific. Better to leave it a tramp freighter that can double as a passenger liner or troop ship.

"Tramp" is too colloquial and "freighter" is awfully specific too. "Freighter" implies the hauling of freight. "Transport" is the more general term, because that could be transporting people or freight.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: WIP Charter Transport Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
"Tramp" is too colloquial and "freighter" is awfully specific too. "Freighter" implies the hauling of freight. "Transport" is the more general term, because that could be transporting people or freight.

I was using "tramp freighter" in the same sense it's used in real world shipping. It basically just means a ship that isn't on a fixed route, and doesn't have a published itinerary (in the sense of a passenger liner). It's pretty similar to what's described in GG6, in that the crew has a lot of freedom to switch up jobs and haul a wide variety of cargos, but it lacks the security of a fixed route.

I just meant that his ship concept works better if it's able to carry a wide variety and mix of cargo and passengers, which allows it to serve in a lot of other roles besides simply being a troop transport. And historically, it was a lot more common in wartime for common freighters and liners to be pressed into service as troop transports than the other way around.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: WIP Charter Transport Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:
An idea i had - a privately-owned GR-75 converted into a Troop Transport during the Clone Wars.
Inquisitor1138 wrote:
-possibly a Smuggling ship before the CW...
-c.15 BBY/4 EY, has a Clone Commando as the Cook & other retired Clones as Crew
-in the post-CW eras, takes charters to transport passengers, rarely if ever getting Imperial charters...

Also, a private troop ship is awfully mission specific. Better to leave it a tramp freighter that can double as a passenger liner or troop ship.

You're not wrong, but it wasn't what the Captain had wanted. Besides, with how thoroughly the ship had been converted into a dedicated troop transport, converting it back would cost as much as the initial conversion if not more... Going back & forth as you suggest may be fine for most ships & Captains, but not this one...
CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:

I was using "tramp freighter" in the same sense it's used in real world shipping. It basically just means a ship that isn't on a fixed route, and doesn't have a published itinerary (in the sense of a passenger liner). It's pretty similar to what's described in GG6, in that the crew has a lot of freedom to switch up jobs and haul a wide variety of cargos, but it lacks the security of a fixed route.

I just meant that his ship concept works better if it's able to carry a wide variety and mix of cargo and passengers, which allows it to serve in a lot of other roles besides simply being a troop transport. And historically, it was a lot more common in wartime for common freighters and liners to be pressed into service as troop transports than the other way around.

Fair points, but not the spirit of this ship...
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: WIP Charter Transport Reply with quote

Quote:
And historically, it was a lot more common in wartime for common freighters and liners to be pressed into service as troop transports than the other way around.

Very true.

CRMcNeill wrote:

I just meant that his ship concept works better if it's able to carry a wide variety and mix of cargo and passengers, which allows it to serve in a lot of other roles besides simply being a troop transport.

Thanks for sharing that link. It's more than similar. That is what is described in GG6, except of course that it is for an interstellar setting.

Looking back at the conversation I see that it was a specific modified/converted ship being described, not a technical class of ships. Oops. Carry on.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like he won't be in business very long, with poor business priorities like that.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EC Henry does a GR75 Starliner.

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Starliners, Jedi Archive, Dedicated heavy bombers & more Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
EC Henry does a GR75 Starliner.

Sorry, i meant to Thank You sooner, this is delightful & informative!
Thank You!

My latest WIP is a GR-75 turned into a mobile Jedi Archive & droid workshop.
CRMcNeill wrote:
Frank Bonura posted the following on the Star Wars D6 Facebook page. It's the length conversion chart they use over at the Star Wars Deckplans Alliance:
    If a freighter's WEG length is < 53.4 meters long: 140%
    If a freighter's WEG length is 53.5 to 106.7 meters long: 120%
    If a freighter's WEG length is 106.8 to 213.5 meters long: 110%
    If a freighter's WEG length is >= 213.6 meters long: No change

So, take the listed WEG length of a ship, compare that to the above list, then multiply accordingly.

For example, the 26.7 meters listed for a YT-1300 falls into the 140% range, so multiply 26.7 by 1.4 to get 37.38 meters.

Obviously most freighters that characters will be using fall into the 140% range.

EDIT: Added "WEG length" to the above table, to clarify which length to use as a base in (the EU being what it is, a ship can easily have multiple "official" lengths).

90 meters x 120% = 108 meters
i'll be figuring out the height & width, & figure out how many decks i can have at different deck heights.
How thick should the deck/layer between decks be?

Edit: Dedicated heavy bombers?
My mind is blown! A pure heavy bomber variant can be a nightmare!
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Stat That Ship! #10: GR-45 Medium Transport Reply with quote

So i found this neat article, Stat That Ship! #10: GR-45 Medium Transport, in which the article's author estimates the length of the GR-45 to be
Quote:
So, if you measure the length of the GR-45 prow to stern using ASP-7s as your unit of measurement, you measure about 25 ASP-7s (40m)

The 1st image used the GR-45 is not fully in frame so i used the 2nd image in MS Paint & did pixel counting.
Primarch_Anubis wrote:
Using the 2nd pic, i pixel-counted the ASP Droid H 1.6m = ≈20px, it was hard to spot!
I wish i had a bigger & higher quality image to work with but this is what i got:
ASP Droid H 1.6m = ≈20px
GR-45 Height Overall 126px x Length 608px
*Hull Height 124px, minus landing gear H 116px. Height Overall minus landing gear H 118px.

608px/20px = 30.4
30.4 x 1.6m = 48.64 meters Length

126px/20px = 6.3
6.3 x 1.6m = 10.08 meters Height Overall with landing gear.

118px/20px = 5.9
5.9 x 1.6m = 9.44 meters Height Overall without landing gear.

Thank you for starting this conversation!
Enjoy!

In summary, The GR-75 is 108 meters long, as per the work of Frank Bonura, not WEG's estimated Length of 90 meters.
As per screen evidence, the GR-45 is ≈48.64 meters Length, & ≈10.08 meters Height Overall with landing gear.
YMMV.

Additionally, the Starships of the Galaxy has the GR-75 active in the Clone Wars. The Legends article describes the GR-45 & GR-75 as "A sister design to the civilian GR-45 model, the GR-75 was..." which suggests to me they were made & used concurrently, though the Canon article says the GR-45 is older.

I will be revising my estimated lengths for other homebrew GR-series transports.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: