The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Radiation Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Radiation Damage Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Radiation Damage Reply with quote

Are there any official rules on taking damage and healing from radiation exposure?
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there's a Radtrooper, you'd think there would be rules for radiation, but I can't find any....

Sheesh.
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nadda, no radiation damage rules done by WEG.

The rad trooper also suggests there are at least four grades of radiation, as at higher levels there are continuous failures in most powered weapons, and no rules for that either.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, crud. Those rules would have been kinda helpful when converting a radiation grenade. Oh well... at least I can't possibly be contradicting anything that WEG wrote.

When I was trying to think of something that was workable for the grenade I came up with a system in my head. I guess I'll take the next step to house rules.
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my loving better half pointed out there are rules for radiation.
So I sort of lied to ya. Embarassed
Though not exactly catch alll rules by any stretch of the imagination as they are in a few different books.

Pg 42 Planet of the Mists.
This is for the radiation on a hyperbarride battery "failure":
3D radiation damge per round (+3D per each extra battery, and no they are not even close to grenade sized Laughing Wink )
[an overload is a 16D starfighter scale explosion at ground zero, goes down over distance to 2km.]

Pg30 Goroth Slave of the Empire notes:
Radiation does have an effect on certain kinds of technology, specifically repulsorlift drives, sophisticated computers that form the "brains" of droids and other autonomous machines if not properly shielded and proper shielded droid or repulsorlift vehicle is 4X listed price.
writers apparently needed some excuse so they could use "slaves" instead of droids.

Pg 129 Truce at bakara "Radiation notes"
effects of exploding Ssi-ruuvi ships on other ships
Damages varies from starfighter to capital scale damage.

Everything else checked that remembered so far that "might" have radiation in it either had something else as nasty along with it or was something else entirely.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

3D radiation damge per round (+3D per each extra battery, and no they are not even close to grenade sized Laughing Wink )
[an overload is a 16D starfighter scale explosion at ground zero, goes down over distance to 2km.]

I'm hoping that you mean that the batteries are much larger. Sad

There is one radiation damage weapon in D6, though it doesn't really do anything special. Of course, when we say "radiation", we can't expect it to be completely homogeneous in all of its forms. There are several different types of radiation, and they have different effects. Gama radiation is going to do something different than ultra violet radiation, which is doing something different than beta radiation.

grr...

It's just really hard to be consistent when there is so little established. And that which is established isn't entirely consistent with itself.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I haven't really come across any radiation rules... though I have been considering a good system for use with a d6 based setting I'm building. I haven't worked on it in a while, so probably won't have it written soon, but I'll let you know what I come up with when I get it Wink

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for the most part radiation manifests itself in burn format (short term high energy radiation). long term effects are really up to gm, but short term id just user burn damage

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfe wrote:
Well my loving better half pointed out there are rules for radiation.
So I sort of lied to ya. Embarassed
Though not exactly catch alll rules by any stretch of the imagination as they are in a few different books.

Pg 42 Planet of the Mists.
This is for the radiation on a hyperbarride battery "failure":

Pg30 Goroth Slave of the Empire notes:
Radiation does have an effect on certain kinds of technology, specifically repulsorlift drives, sophisticated computers that form the "brains" of droids and other autonomous machines if not properly shielded and proper shielded droid or repulsorlift vehicle is 4X listed price.
writers apparently needed some excuse so they could use "slaves" instead of droids.

Pg 129 Truce at bakara "Radiation notes"
effects of exploding Ssi-ruuvi ships on other ships
Damages varies from starfighter to capital scale damage.

Everything else checked that remembered so far that "might" have radiation in it either had something else as nasty along with it or was something else entirely.

Thanks for siting these. IIRC, the adventure StarFall (Classic Adventures Vol. 5) also had a damaged part of the ship with the danger of radiation to avoid, and damage dice for it if a PC didn't avoid it. I think the radiation trooper armor would have a normal physical and energey stats, and also give some kind of bonus to resisting "radiation damage".
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for siting these. IIRC, the adventure StarFall (Classic Adventures Vol. 5) also had a damaged part of the ship with the danger of radiation to avoid, and damage dice for it if a PC didn't avoid it. I think the radiation trooper armor would have a normal physical and energey stats, and also give some kind of bonus to resisting "radiation damage".

The rad trooper armor is treated with radiation reflecting coating which nulls all damage even from heavy radiation zones.

Stormtrooper sealed body glove will protect wearer from light radiation zones.

I think the two pieces of gear allow the rad trooper to operate for an extended period of time in heavy rad zones with little to no fear of suffering the effects.
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IIRC, the adventure StarFall (Classic Adventures Vol. 5) also had a damaged part of the ship with the danger of radiation to avoid, and damage dice for it if a PC didn't avoid it.

Nope, an engine fire and an intense fire fed by power cells, but no radiation area, that was first place looked that I thought would have had it (still boggles that there isn't any).

Quote:
The rad trooper armor is treated with radiation reflecting coating which nulls all damage even from heavy radiation zones.

Not really, they have extra detoxification hypos in case of "hot" areas are encountered, just what consitutes "hot" is open for conjecture though.

The other heavy radiation suit I recall is a large suit of power armor (Book Operation: Elrood) but that will only protect against heavy radiation for a single hour.
This has no rules either for some strange reason (you are setting heavy explosives in a very damaged ISDs engineering area) mentions Radiation in passing, even has stats for a heavy anti-radiation blast door 8D Str character scale, yet no rules.
Laughing
jmanski

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone even have an idea about how to run damage from radiation?

I've been thinking about this the last few days and I have a few different theories:
1. Radiation deals damage at specific intervals (x damage every y rounds)
2. Radiation deals damage immediately (z damage)
3. A combination of 1 and 2 (z damage immediately, x damage every y rounds)
or, of course, 4. Something else entirely.

As for the actual amounts, that should be based on the level (we know there are at least 5 from the Radtrooper armor description in ROE).

Questions, comments, happy thoughts, or snide comments welcome....
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about option 3. I've got a few things written down elsewhere, but it's something to the effect of the stat block below.

I didn't see the five different levels. I only saw "light" and "heavy" mentioned in RoE under the Radtrooper Armor. Please let me know if I should be looking elsewhere in the book. Nonetheless five seemed to be the right number to me when I was doing it.

I also have something to the effect implied in the Radiation Grenade stats that I converted.

Quote:

Characters may add an armor bonus to resisting the initial exposure to radiation damage, however once exposed, characters almost always experience delitrius effects from radiation sickness. These affects continue until treated at a medical facility. Because these effects are the result of radiation sickness, the reoccurring damage ignores armor bonuses. Any armor that designates itself as radiation resistant will give additional protection against specified radiation levels.

Light Exposure - Character takes 3D initial damage. Once exposed the character takes 1D damage every 24 hours. Every 24 hours the character takes an additional +2 damage until treated by an Easy (a) Medicine roll. Example: Once exposed to a light radiation zone, a character takes an initial 3D damage. Regardless of whether the damage is resisted, the character takes 1D damage after 24 hours. After 48 hours, the character takes 1D+2. After 72 hours, the character takes 2D+1 damage. After 96 hours, the character takes 3D damage. The pattern of damage continues until the character is successfully treated for radiation exposure.

Moderate Exposure - Character takes 4D initial damage. Once exposed, the character takes 1D damage after 12 hours. Every 12 hours the character takes an additional +1D damage until treated with a Moderate (a)Medicine roll.

Heavy Exposure - Character takes 6D initial damage. Once exposed, the character takes 1D damage after 6 hours. Every 6 hours the character takes an additional +1D damage until treated with a Difficult (a)Medicine roll.

Very Heavy Exposure - Character takes 8D initial damage. Once exposed, the character takes 1D damage after 2 hours. Every 2 hours the character takes an additional +1D+2 damage until treated with a Very Difficult (a)Medicine roll.

Extreme - Character takes 12D initial damage. Once contaminated, the character takes 3D damage after one hour. Every hour the character takes an additional 3D damage until treated with a Heroic (a)Medicine roll.

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

1. Radiation deals damage at specific intervals (x damage every y rounds)

I like option 1 best. It fits with the Time, Distance, Shielding concept of radiation exposure and allows armor to come into play. Granted, most armor won't nullify radiation, but virtually anything between one and the radiation source is better than nothing. Oddly, physical damage resistance is a better shielding property than energy resistance, since this isn't directed energy damage and the thicker material of traditional armor might provide better radiation resistance.

I'd also treat the radiation damage with a radius like grenades, since exposure is inversely proportional to proximity. This works best when the radiation is from a single source, e.g. reactor, warhead, radiation grenade, or surplus fissile material, rather than a saturated background or fallout area.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More thread necro here...

In light of the Chernobyl mini-series on HBO, I thought I'd give this a bump and see who has thoughts on it.

A couple of pertinent links...
While Volar's house rule has a lot of detail to it, I think it would be better if the rule conformed to the RAW Damage Chart - or something along those lines - where the degree of radiation damage is based on a standard Strength vs. Damage roll.

Any accurate roll would also need to include some sort of framework for long-term consequences (cancer and the like), as well as the compounding effects of long-term exposure.

It would also seem that there is a negative effect on electronics that lack appropriate shielding, but we already have the Ionization rules in place for that.

Anyway, thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: