The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

TIE Lander
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> TIE Lander
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: TIE Lander Reply with quote

I've seen two writeups, TIE lander (Length: 8.1 meters) & TIE/l Lander (7.8 meters). Passengers: 120 (troops) or 18, respectively.
TIE lander & TIE lander Legends do not give any size, but make the bold claim that it carries 1 company. depending on the OB being used, we're looking at 144 or 200 troopers.
i'm thinking ≈20-24 is the most that can fit, with minimal gear. More gear means fewer troops.
Early models definitely had no Shields, but competent commanders (Thrawn, Tagge, et al) will insist on them. Some will have hyperdrives for elite forces & special operations.
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the 120 troops may be a miss print a TIE Boarding Craft and Troop shuttle can only carry 12 and the extra pod on the Lander looks like it can only displace an extra 50% over a normal TIE Shuttle and the executive shuttle only has space for four.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TIE Lander is hideous, which would be acceptable if its design suited its mission, which it doesn’t. A far better design would be a much larger transport pod underneath a smaller TIE cockpit ball. Such an arrangement would maximize its transport capacity, as well as facilitating the transport of light vehicles, not just a squad of troops.

It occurs to me that EC Henry’s Tractor Pod with TIE wings looks a lot like the above concept.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The TIE Lander is hideous, which would be acceptable if its design suited its mission, which it doesn’t. A far better design would be a much larger transport pod underneath a smaller TIE cockpit ball. Such an arrangement would maximize its transport capacity, as well as facilitating the transport of light vehicles, not just a squad of troops.

It occurs to me that EC Henry’s Tractor Pod with TIE wings looks a lot like the above concept.

I would have to agree with CRM here....that and - well, not only are the troop capactiy silly - but 20 tons of cargo as well?

Inquisitor1138 wrote:

TIE lander & TIE lander Legends do not give any size, but make the bold claim that it carries 1 company. depending on the OB being used, we're looking at 144 or 200 troopers.

This is because some of the time- the people who are good writers at coming up with story, plot, character arcs - are not as equally knowledgeable in military terms, tactics, manufacturing, engineering, military strategy, logistics etc.

I mean....um...anyway...

Sooo....
I am redoing all the stats for ships in my game (yes, I know - that is a lot of work and foolish) - but it is reasons like this. The base stats for most ships are (in my opinon - as a former engineerer who now works in transportation and logistics) - just ...silly.

I love our old game - but the proliferation of "lets make a bazillion variations of the tie fighter hull....".

For a troop transport I use;
Imperial Troop Transport

It looks cool, has canon references and there are a few 3d prints out there if you want to print one for your game.
Cool Images and 3d file for transport <print it at what ever scale works for your minis....(his are legion, and big in the images).

However - if someone wants to use a tie bomber frame - sure - we have seen that used as a small squad transport as well (I think in rogue one, and in Andor?). For Stats - take a tiebomber - remove the bombs, add "carries a squad of 12 troopers". Or what ever makes sense to you.
Easy peasy.

Oh, and if you want to 3d print a tie bomber (transport version or whatever) here is my favorite vendor who has a tie bomber that is cheap, and easy to print.

Tie Bomber 3d Model

What ever works for your game....

Last edited by pakman on Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TIE Bomber-sized troop transport is only viable when operating from ships too small to have enough deck space to carry something bigger. A Sienar Fleet Systems knock-off of EC Henry’s Tractor Tug makes a bit more sense in that the forward pod can be swapped out for other mission modules. That way, you don’t just have a dedicated lander fuselage sitting around on the off-chance you need to set down a couple squads of troops somewhere.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
A TIE Bomber-sized troop transport is only viable when operating from ships too small to have enough deck space to carry something bigger. A Sienar Fleet Systems knock-off of EC Henry’s Tractor Tug makes a bit more sense in that the forward pod can be swapped out for other mission modules. That way, you don’t just have a dedicated lander fuselage sitting around on the off-chance you need to set down a couple squads of troops somewhere.

I think exchangeable ordinance pods on the twin hull TIE variants are something I am going to use a lot more now that you've put it that way. It does seem like exactly the kind of thinking you'd get from a totalitarian regime, and it fits the design ethic common to the post Yavin navy with the strike-class and modular task force cruisers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: