The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stomrtrooper Clarification
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Stomrtrooper Clarification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentonGrey
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Stomrtrooper Clarification Reply with quote

Howdy folks, I'm preparing my Imperial complications for my campaign, and I've come across something with the Stormtrooper stats in the Imperial Handbook and the Core book that has me a bit puzzled.

They've got 4D in Blaster and Dodge, but their armor gives them a -1D penalty to their Dex, meaning they've effectively only got a 3D in each, which seems a little low for the Empire's elite. Am I reading this right? Do any of y'all make them a bit more intimidating?

Benton Grey
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the standard Clone Trooper stats cooked up by Guardian_A here some time ago, they're a little bit more potent than the standard Stormtrooper:

Quote:
Name: Clone Trooper
Species: Human/Clone
Sex: Male
Dexterity: 3D+1
Blaster 4D+1, Blaster Artillery 3D+2, Brawling Parry 4D, Dodge 4D+1, Grenade 4D
Knowledge: 2D
Survival 3D
Mechanical: 2D+1
Perception: 3D
Strength: 3D+1
Brawling 4D, Stamina 4D+2
Technical: 2D
Move: 10
Equipment: DC-15s Blaster Pistol (3D), DC-15 Blaster Rifle (5D+1), Clone Trooper Armor
Reference: Custom Build

You can find the collection of stats he didn't quite finish here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s-x17cu29CsLKg6qA_Upl2lc_7_XGHq6

It has most of the stock stats from the various sourcebooks put in one place as well as some others that he cooked up in case you might need a random stock NPC to throw in somewhere.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one: Combined Fire.

Couple that with MFTAS, grenades, and the ability to call in armor and air strikes and you've got some pretty lethal customers.

If that doesn't suit you, remove the armor penalty and/or bump up their skills to reflect veteran troops, but trust me on the combined fire. It gets the players running every time. Very Happy
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stomrtrooper Clarification Reply with quote

BentonGrey wrote:
They've got 4D in Blaster and Dodge, but their armor gives them a -1D penalty to their Dex, meaning they've effectively only got a 3D in each, which seems a little low for the Empire's elite. Am I reading this right? Do any of y'all make them a bit more intimidating?

I have always assumed that the skills already took into account the heavy armor penalty. As for stats, remember that 2D is the human average, so 3D is above average.

If your looking to "beef up" your stormtroopers try this version I created a while back:

Quote:
Imperial Stormtrooper v2.0
DEXTERITY 3D
Blaster 4D+2, (s) Blaster: rifle 6D, Brawling Parry 4D+2, Dodge 4D, Grenade 4D, Melee Combat 4D, Melee Parry 5D
KNOWLEDGE 2D
(s) Bureaucracy: Imperial Military 3D, Intimidation 4D+2, Planetary Systems 3D+2, Survival 4D
MECHANICAL 2D
Ground Vehicle Operation 3D, Repulsorlift Operation 3D+2
PERCEPTION 2D
Search 3D
STRENGTH 3D
Brawling 4D, Stamina 3D+2
TECHNICAL 2D
Armor Repair 3D, Blaster Repair 3D, Equipment Repair 3D, First Aid 3D, Repulsorlift Repair 3D, Security 4D
Special Abilities:
-- Squad Tactics: Due to their training, Stormtrooper squads do not need to make a command roll to combine actions in combat.
Story Factors:
-- Authority by Fear: The white Stormtrooper represents the near limitless might of the Imperial Military throughout the galaxy and a reputation as faithful followers of Emperor Palpatine, many Fear these emotionless, faceless supporters of the New Order (+1D modifier to intimidation skill checks).
Move: 10
Character Points: 3-5

Equipment: Stormtrooper armor, utility belt, E-11 blaster rifle (5D), 2 stun grenades (6D stun) or 2 C-22 fragmentation grenades (5D), Imperial code key thermal detonator (6D).

Stormtrooper Armor: designed to lessen injury from blaster bolts (+1D versus energy, deflects stun beam) and provides excellent protection against explosions and shrapnel, making it almost impossible to kill a stormtrooper with high-speed kinetic damage (+2D versus physical, +1D versus melee attacks or slower ranged attacks, such as slings, spears, etc). The armor makes running difficult (Move -2, cannot move at All-Out speed) and the helmet greatly obstructs a soldier's vision, hindering their ability to aim a blaster (-1D modifier to all ranged skill rolls). The Backplate contains a power pack as well as a small supply of air.

Body Glove: provides insulation and cushioning while also regulating body temperature during periods of exertion (+1D stamina). The tight fitting glove acts as a compression sleeve, stemming bleeding in the event of serious injury. Though the trooper may be incapacitated, survival allows the trooper to receive medical treatment and return to service (+1D first aid or medical modifier to stabilize). The body glove also provides limited protection against radiation (+2 versus radiation).
Environment Filters: armor is fully sealed against chemical/biological attacks and will protect the wearer against vacuum for a limited time (back-mounted tank contains 20 minutes of emergency oxygen).
Helmet: automatic polarizing and anti-flash blinding lenses with holographic HUD interface. Voice-activated vocoder and auto-dampening auditory sensors.

Multi-Frequency Targeting and Acquisition System (MFTAS): enhanced combat vision (+2D modifier to vision based Perception rolls versus negative environmental modifiers such as smoke, darkness and fire). IFF transponder readout allows Stormtrooper to identify squadmates.

Integrated Comlink: HUD and dermal crosslinked activation. The comlink uses linked encoding sequences to rotate frequencies every few seconds.

Security Measure: each helmet has a designated user and an integrated security feature (found on the under-rim of the helmet) that must be deactivated when putting on or taking off. If the security feature is not disabled, the MFTAS and integrated comlink will be disabled ensuring it could not be used by enemies of the Empire or reduce its value on the black market.

Standard Stormtrooper Utility Belt: High-tension wire 25 meters, 2 magnetic grappling hooks, 4 spare blaster power packs, ion flare tube (3 ion flares), 1 week of energy rations, spare C1 military comlink, 3 water packs, 2 medpacs, code keyed thermal detonator, 2 stun grenades (optionally, 2 C-22 fragmentation grenades), wrist binders, glowrod, blaster/armor tool kit.

Stormtroopers are typically armed with an E-11, however they are known to wield DLT-19 or DLT-20A.

BlasTech E-11 Military Issue Blaster Rifle (Dmg: 5D, Rng: 3-30/100/300, if the retractable stock and scope are used for one round of aiming, the character receives and additional +1D to blaster).
BlasTech DLT-19 Heavy Blaster Rifle (Dmg: 5D, Rng: 5-50/180/350).
BlasTech DLT-20A Laser Rifle (Dmg: 5D+1, Rng: 4-35/110/280).

Baradium-Core Code Key Thermal Detonator
Specially designed to ensure that only stormtroopers can utilize the explosive, ensuring dissidents can not use it. The security measure requires an arming code to be entered, each code is unique, known only to the soldier to whom the device is issued. The code panel buttons are typically unlabeled.

Imperial Code Key Thermal Detonator
Scale: Character
Skill: Grenade
Cost: 800
Availability: 3, X (military issue)
Range: 3-6/12/25
Blast Radius: 0-2/4/6/10
Damage: 6D/5D/3D/2D
Game Notes: The key code requires a Very Difficult demolitions skill check to circumvent. The detonator a timer that can be set up to 15 seconds. The code key can be specific to the trooper, a squad, or even a section of troops.

Stun Grenade
Range: 0-10/20/40
Blast Radius: 0-2/4/6/8
Damage: 6D/5D/3D/2D stun

C-22 Fragmentation Grenade
Range: 3-7/20/40,
Blast Radius: 0-2/4/6/10
Damage: 5D/4D/3D/2D

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stomrtrooper Clarification Reply with quote

BentonGrey wrote:
Howdy folks, I'm preparing my Imperial complications for my campaign, and I've come across something with the Stormtrooper stats in the Imperial Handbook and the Core book that has me a bit puzzled.

The easiest change one can make is say "since they almost live in their armor, it has no dex penalty for the troopers. BUT anyone else putting that armor on does get the penalty.
OR as some see it, that 4d stat INCLUDES the -1d penalty already. So realistically they have 5d.

As Pel says, have them use tactics to where their MFAS comes into play. Shoot canisters of gas or smoke, so it hinders rebells counter fire a LOT but doesn't impinge the troopers fire.
Also, as per Rules of Engagement, one can Ignore needing to make a command roll for Storm troopers.. They are skilled and trained enough they can just coordinate with no need for a commanding officer.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stomrtrooper Clarification Reply with quote

BentonGrey wrote:
I'm preparing my Imperial complications for my campaign, and I've come across something with the Stormtrooper stats in the Imperial Handbook and the Core book that has me a bit puzzled.

They've got 4D in Blaster and Dodge, but their armor gives them a -1D penalty to their Dex, meaning they've effectively only got a 3D in each, which seems a little low for the Empire's elite.

Have you seen the classic films featuring stormtroopers? I think the RAW stormtroopers stats more accurately represent the films than the fluff describing them as "elite"? Check out this video.

Stormtrooper Accuracy: Star Wars (A New Hope)

If you want your game to reflect the reality of the films, then not-so-elite stormtroopers must exist. However, that doesn't mean that more elite stormtroopers can't also exist. I would suggest having stormtroopers near the RAW level at first, and as the PCs get better you can start introducing more advanced stormtroopers.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
BentonGrey
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stomrtrooper Clarification Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for a ton of great replies, guys!

Good ideas Raven, Garhkal, and Pel! I like the idea about them using their tactics to be more dangerous.

Man, what a detailed character write-up, Shootingwamprats! I definitely see some things I'm going to use.

Whill wrote:
Have you seen the classic films featuring stormtroopers? I think the RAW stormtroopers stats more accurately represent the films than the fluff describing them as "elite"? Check out this video.

Stormtrooper Accuracy: Star Wars (A New Hope)

If you want your game to reflect the reality of the films, then not-so-elite stormtroopers must exist. However, that doesn't mean that more elite stormtroopers can't also exist. I would suggest having stormtroopers near the RAW level at first, and as the PCs get better you can start introducing more advanced stormtroopers.

Haha! Entirely true, but I think there was once upon a time a canon explanation for the Troopers poor performance in the Death Star, that they were ordered to miss so the Rebels could escape (no idea of that is still true). Nonetheless, there's no denying that the performance of the Stormtroopers in the movies isn't exactly awe-inspiring. Still, I like the idea of them as the elite, and I want my players to be scared when they show up. I want to evoke that sense of dread they carry in the movies, even if they are sometimes poor shots! Wink

Benton Grey
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Stomrtrooper Clarification Reply with quote

BentonGrey wrote:
Man, what a detailed character write-up, Shootingwamprats! I definitely see some things I'm going to use.

When I made the Stormtroopers v2 I think I was in the process of creating content for R1 and TFA sourcebooks. Lots of information there.

As for the feel of Star Wars in your games, I would suggest using the Stormtroopers as they appear in the WEG material, though not stated, assume the stats take into consideration the -1D Dex penalty.

Also remember, these guys went to the Imperial Stormtrooper academies. They always miss in the first round of combat. At least they do in my games.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stomrtrooper Clarification Reply with quote

BentonGrey wrote:
Wow, thanks for a ton of great replies, guys!

Good ideas Raven, Garhkal, and Pel! I like the idea about them using their tactics to be more dangerous.

Glad to help.

Thinking about it, even vs a 6d PC, a 4d stormie, popping off smoke (which iirc imposes a -3d penalty, which MFAS negates to -1d), puts them roughly even..

Now imagine if that smoke is also like tear gas.. The stormies armor/body gloves is going to protect them, but the PCs, unless wearing bulky body armor, are going to have issues..
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stomrtrooper Clarification Reply with quote

BentonGrey wrote:

Stormtroopers are not valued for their skills. They are way above average people, as other's have said. Stormtroopers are valued for their loyalty. In the empire, where officers and politicians scheme (often fatally) against each other constantly, a corps of troops that cannot be bribed etc. is priceless. They are not the empire's elite, they are the emporer's elite. Because they will never, ever, turn on or disobey the emperor.

Remember that compared to other RPG's, this one has very powerful starting PC's but they progress rather slowly.

If they aren't dangerous enough, just add more of them...
BentonGrey
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really interesting persepctive; thanks TauntaunScout!

Benton Grey
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stomrtrooper Clarification Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
They are way above average people, as other's have said.

I don't see 2d above as 'way above average'. Especially when 4d is the 'professional' level. And as i showed before in a separate thread that 4d actually puts most stormies, BELOW the average rebel trooper base stats wise.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means that the troopers are well above the level of “average people” and their 12D attribute allotment — which they are.

Uncle Owen, even as a toughguy moisture farmer, would be no match for a stormtrooper. A professional-level trooper with 4D in blaster, even considering his -1D armor penalty, would be hardier, so the trade-off is there but w/ an obvious gain to hardiness. He'd readily best Joe “all stats 2D except bargain: discount records 3D+1, stamina: junk food tolerance 4D.”

Somewhat of a tangent, but I like to think of 2D as the “average” attribute for a heroic 18D character, rather than a flat 2D being any old joe on the street. I usually give humans a 1D/4D attribute range to allow for this, and allow for more variance with non-heroic NPCs. This way too, 2D is not simultaneously human average and yet also human attribute minimum.

Last edited by Telsij on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 am; edited 3 times in total
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Stomrtrooper Clarification Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:
They are way above average people, as other's have said.

I don't see 2d above as 'way above average'. Especially when 4d is the 'professional' level. And as i showed before in a separate thread that 4d actually puts most stormies, BELOW the average rebel trooper base stats wise.

No but their 4D skills are well above average. They are also fanatically loyal (though not necessarily courageous) and really very well equipped.

I also assume 2D is "average" not "minimum" so that a professional mechanic in SW might be 3D in MEC and lose a die somewhere else. I play it more like, 12 attribute dice is average and 18 attribute dice is heroic.

So if you pull a random NPC off the street, and test a random skill, odds are very very good that they will have 2D in that skill. For the stormtroopers to have 2D in everything means they are well rounded and their 4D combat skills is very good at that one thing. -1D for encumbrance is fine when consider that their armor is also an environment suit, in my opinion. It seem punitive until you reflect on a variety of things that I won't list off here unless asked. When you add their coordination and tactics they are more than a match for the average combatant such as rioters, street gangs, a farmer with a hunting blaster, etc.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One aspect we forgot to mention is the environment. Name an environment and the Empire has Stormtroopers specifically trained to fight in it. The PCs usually can't make that claim, so toss in some Sandtroopers or Snowtroopers (my favorite) along with searing desert heat or frozen tundra respectively to liven things up.

If you can find it, reading Rules of Engagement (WEG40113) is well worth your time, as it breaks down both Rebel and Imperial units, their tactics, and how to make the players' lives more "interesting". Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: