The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ship Ionization Chart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Ship Ionization Chart.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Ship Ionization Chart. Reply with quote

I made this up for Ionization damage, cause i felt the listed system in the book was too weak, what with not stating which systems are affected with '1 control ionized' etc..

Rules.
1) For each ‘4 points above the ship’s hull roll the Ion Damage gets, 1 System is effected. This replaces the chart in the Rule book/Screen.
2) Chart out the number of systems the ship has. Below is a base list for freighters. Fighters use a separate chart.
3) For each ‘system ionized’ result you get, roll 1D nearest to (if need be go above) the number of systems. The number rolled is the system affected.
4) For each system affected, roll 1D6 for the number of ROUNDS it will be out.
5) If a specific system is hit more than once, it adds an additional D to the roll for each hit (eg 2D for second hit, 3d for third hit). These then are added to the number of rolls it is out.
6) For those trying to repair the system, a HEROIC+10 roll is needed to try to half the time it is going to be out. REMEMBER it takes 2 rounds from when they start to ‘work on it’ before the first roll can be made. So if power is out for 2 rounds, it would be better to let it go….
7) If Main power is hit, then ALL other systems except manual fire missiles are dead.

FREIGHTERS
SYSTEM Duration out.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Main power
Life support
Shields
Maneuvering thrusters
Ion drive (sublight)
Hyperdrive
Nav computer
Main computer (includes comms)
Repulsor lift
Weapon 1
Weapon 2
Weapon 3
Weapon 4
Weapon 5
Weapon 6

STAR FIGHTER
SYSTEM Duration out.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Main power
Life support
Shields
Maneuvering thrusters
Ion drive (sublight)
Droid interface (IF HAS ONE)
Main computer (includes comms)
Repulsor lift
Weapon 1
Weapon 2
Weapon 3
CrankyBob
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your charts are alot nicer to players than what the book allows. With the book rules any ship that takes 4-8 pts of ion damage are dead. Why? Most stock ships have 2D or less of maneuverability. 4-8 pts of ion damage means that two controls are ionized which has the effect of -2D to the ships maneuverability, shields, and weapon fire control and damage for that round and the next. If the ship only has 2D of maneuverability then it's dead in the water for the next 2 rounds, easy target.

Are ion weapons good for long term disabling ships? Nope, they're not meant to be. Ion weapons are there to knock out shields and make the ship easy game for pirates/boarders.

Note that ion weapons work differently for ships and droids. One doesn't work on the other.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment there Crank.

Anyone else with comments??
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an other point of view of ion weapons. I considere they can disable a ship for a long time and not only with a 16+ on the result of damage, but also with my following rule :

When a ship is hit by ion weapon I proceed with the standard rules to determine which level of ionnisation the ship suffer. Ionnisation malus goes for the round and the round after and decrease of 1D each round later. So for exemple a ship hit for 3D of ionnisation have 3D of malus next round, then 2D the next round and finaly 1D for the fourth round.
Each round I make a hull roll vs ionnisation dice roll. If ionnisation is higher, the ship is disabled. The crew of this ship can start to make easy repairs to restart all systems shunted down when ionnisation fades.
With This rule, ships with few dices in hull fail quicker than ships heavily armoured.
Of course, this rule makes the ion weapons more powerfull in the effects, but I think it match better with how these weapons are supposed to be used (capture of ship or knockout an enemy ship).

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these looks, and only 2 people comment.... Hm.
Liam (Gunman) Kissane
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... looks good garhkal.

An interesting approach Phalanks.

In the past I have rolled a d6:
1 Maneuverability
2 Weapon 1
3 Weapon 2
4 Hyperdrive
5 Shields
6 Sublight Drives
Then determined the # of rounds by how much higher the Ion damage is over the Hull soak.
0-3 1 round
4-6 2 rounds
7-9 3 rounds
10-12 4 rounds
13-15 5 rounds
16+ totally burnt out - unrepairable.

I think it's just great that we can share all our ideas and experiences with the game in such a format with so many others. The Rancor Pit Forums is IMHO a great resource we can all draw from and give to.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They the chart is read is like this.

0-3, Controls Ionized. The controls are ionized, shipwide, nothing is going to respond. It takes an easy repair roll to get the ship working again in this round.

4-8, 2 Controls Ionized. Basically, double the above problem, but now it takes two round, two repair rolls. The first is moderate, the next is easy.

9-12, 3 Controls Ionized. Same as above in effect. Three repairs, one round each, Difficult, Moderate, than easy.

13-15, 4 controls Ionized. This'll take you forever to fix. 4 rounds, 20 whole seconds. Very difficult, difficult, moderate, and finally the easy repair roll to get your ship working again.

16+ Controls Dead. You gotta get brand new controls. The controls, every circuit that tells everything what to do, is dead.

You can make multiple repairs in a single round by taking multiple action penalties to speed up the result. But that measn repair a 4 Controls Ionized result in a single round will involve you taking -4d.

No single system ever goes out. The circuitry running through the ship, the controls, are all hit, one spot, all gone. Your console and monitors lose contact with the ship, every system is effectively dead. The truth being they all still work, you just can't work them. That is why ionizing ships is supposed to be a good way of capturing vessels in working order, because it works like this.

Unfortunately, WEG was very good about hiding how to get ship controls replaced. Unless someone knows how, that is what we need some new rules for.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that not a change from how the repair rules work, concerning the 2 round, 2 min, 2 days rotation of how much time is needed?
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I... don't know.
I am rarely stumped but I hate it everytime.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
I... don't know.
I am rarely stumped but I hate it everytime.

Well, btb, when a person first attemps a repair of anything, it takes 2 rounds to perform, at the end of that time, he makes his roll. If that roll fails, he can try again, but the time increment shifts up one. Rounds to minutes, to hours, to days, to weeks, to months etc...

When i get home (currently on duty), i will post the actual book ruling, along with page number.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you meant general repair rules. I thought you meant there was a specific rule for repairing Ion Damage.

It is a departure. Yes. If I were to go a little more by the book just change the rounds mentioned from 1 per ionization result to two.

And my players can thank you for doing that now, Garkhal. Very Happy
to finance my 'vette!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: