The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What was your first RPG?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> What was your first RPG? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
I like the idea of a Log Rogue. Way cheaper than using trained livestock and easier than convincing another player to be your trap test dummy.

Trained livestock? What happens if a trap kills your trained sheep? Then you have to train a new sheep all over again!

On the other hand, you won't run out of mutton to eat. But then again...

Bert wrote:
Mutton yesterday, mutton tonight, and blimey, if it don't look like mutton again tomorrow!

Yeah, mutton gets old after a while.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

Trained livestock? What happens if a trap kills your trained sheep? Then you have to train a new sheep all over again!

Well the character generation says nothing about it being trained. Farmers get a chicken, a pitchfork, and a sack of [roll to see what vegetable or grain]. Any 2nd and subsequent farmers in the party also roll to determine what kind of farm animal they start with.

Some of the other professions start with a mule or something too, as befits their job title.

One of my PC's rolled the birth augur "conceived on horseback" and the profession of Shaman. So he bought a million candles and kept tracing out pentagrams with horses in them and trying to commune with "The Spirit Horse". I didn't know what to do so I made him do a random D20 roll to shut him up. He got a 20. *&^#*&@^!!!!

So I let this weird god, The Spirit Horse, that he just made up*, possess the mule in the party and speak through it. Later on we got so low on villagers that we made real stats for this mule and let it become a PC when all of someone's characters died off. There was no way the shaman was going to let anyone use it for a suicidal mission now that it had been blessed by The Spirit Horse. We gave it sentience (though it could no longer talk after the god left it), like an 18 STR and a lot of HP and pretty much low single digits in everything else.

*Personally I suspect he took the idea from the death scene of Chavez in Young Guns 2. But I digress.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, that's hilarious that he actually used the Spirit Horse from Young Guns 2 as a legit D&D god. And I haven't seen YG2 since I last rented it 2 years after it came out. I still remember Chavez's death scene too. It's gotta be a bit creepy having a talking (then mute) sentient mule in the party, though. Still, that's not the wierdest thing in the D&D mythos by a long margin.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
LOL, that's hilarious that he actually used the Spirit Horse from Young Guns 2 as a legit D&D god.

Ah but we are not in D&D... this my friend is the amazing DCC RPG!!! Where birth augurs and professions combine with sucky 3D6 stats to make amazing characters no one could ever create with their own free will.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that actually sounds pretty interesting. Yeah, the dice gods favor children and fools. You never know what mischief a nat 20 will unleash.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
You never know what mischief a nat 20 will unleash.

True as you tell it, but I'm willing to wager that a nat 1 has and will always unleash more mischief than a nat 20 ever could. Wink 8) Laughing

Then again, more nat 20s than nat 1s were rolled in this story and plenty of hilarity ensued as a result of those three nat 20s in a row, so I take back what I just said. 8)
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. That's a good one! Mind over matter. Reminds me of the Luchador barbarian who pinned a dragon's wings in flight. The recount has some salty language so I'm not posting a link here.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Heh. That's a good one! Mind over matter. Reminds me of the Luchador barbarian who pinned a dragon's wings in flight. The recount has some salty language so I'm not posting a link here.

Ok, I'll bite. I've (unintentionally) run afoul of this forum's rules against nazi grammarism several times already, so I very much sympathize with your reluctance to linking something with foul language. That said, however, you've piqued my curiosity, so send me a PM of this story. Very Happy
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Reminds me of the Luchador barbarian who pinned a dragon's wings in flight. The recount has some salty language so I'm not posting a link here.
Sutehp wrote:
Ok, I'll bite. I've (unintentionally) run afoul of this forum's rules against nazi grammarism several times already, so I very much sympathize with your reluctance to linking something with foul language. That said, however, you've piqued my curiosity, so send me a PM of this story. Very Happy

I don't see any issue with sharing a link to content just containing bad language with a warning, as long as it is not political, Star Wars film or Disney-bashing, clickbait, bootlegs, bashing other Rancor Pit users, or revealing private information about them. It's true that we don't use language too vulgar here on the forum, but posting links to it are no big deal. I would judge "vulgar" material not to be shared by link to be the more serious stuff mentioned in the Registration Agreement Terms, such as "abusive, obscene, ...slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws." I think we're fine if we remember that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. I just try to keep it G to PG in case younger viewers are afoot.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I read that story about the Luchador barbarian who pinned a dragon's wings in flight that Pel PM'ed me and it was hilarious. ("And that's how I got to Level Four." LOL.) I'll let Pel link it if he wants; I don't want to detract from its awesome by linking it myself. Pel deserves that honor instead. Very Happy

Pel also gave me a link to the Head of Vecna story (which I appreciate heartily), but I think most, if not all, of us gamers already know that legend. I'll let him link that one, too. 8)
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
So I read that story about the Luchador barbarian who pinned a dragon's wings in flight that Pel PM'ed me and it was hilarious. ("And that's how I got to Level Four." LOL.) I'll let Pel link it if he wants; I don't want to detract from its awesome by linking it myself. Pel deserves that honor instead. Very Happy

Pel also gave me a link to the Head of Vecna story (which I appreciate heartily), but I think most, if not all, of us gamers already know that legend. I'll let him link that one, too. 8)

Among some rpg communities, the Lunchador & the Head of Vecna are legenadry rpg stories.

Sir Bearington is another one.

There exist a collection of these.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OuttaWindu wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

Among some rpg communities, the Lunchador & the Head of Vecna are legenadry rpg stories.

Sir Bearington is another one.

There exist a collection of these.

Also. Asking "Who was the creepiest person you ever played DnD with?" will always bring forth a slew of good stories. Even if the stories aren't about gaming, it will get people talking.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Challenge accepted, sir. This just happened a few weeks ago:

Our regular online D&D group decided to accept a new member after a player vouched for her. While chatting via Discord with the group and rolling up a character, she demanded that we all use video chatting because she 'wanted to see all of our faces'. We thought she was kidding at first, and laughed it off, with some (including me) pointing out we don't have the bandwidth for that sort of thing.

The new player persisted, eventually demanding to know all our actual names, social media accounts, and places of employment so she "could feel safe". Um...no. This is an online game, not a government job interview. Needless to say, we refused to just give out personal information to a stranger and terminated the session early. Thankfully she left the group, but not before informing us that we were doing everything wrong in a fiery Discord message. We found out a few days ago that she's stalking the player who recommended her and he reported her to the police.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: