The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

CM-D1 Combat Medic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> CM-D1 Combat Medic Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... as an entry level droid, it does make more sense (to me) that it might not have all the bells and whistles, so adding the optional upgrades helps to "suspend disbelief."

As for the litter, I imagined the droid having a sort of fork lift function that would allow the droid to carry the litter perpendicular to its body (either across its body or "forward" oriented, sepending on space available). If that changes your perspective, perhaps it would still fit into your concept.

But even if not, the availability of higher trim levels makes up for the absence on the base model.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Combat Medic Reply with quote

Quote:
For those groups of player with no one with the first aid skill. A combat medic droid with little personality, but the ability to move through a combat zone and render first aid assistance.

The campaign I'm planning is a solo campaign for one player with the possibility of occasional other players. It will be tramp-to-rebel campaign so the main NPC will be the ship captain, and the captain has a little lifting to carry the PC when he inevitably gets knocked unconscious/incapacitated. The ship would definitely need a medical droid for when they come back wounded, so I thought they could be bacta dealers to justify having the droid and a bacta tank on their ship.

But then I thought, what about when the PC and the captain are both inevitably incapacitated and need rescued? The astromech droid isn't going to be able to save them. So the combat medic concept makes sense. A strong droid with lifting and armor plating for improved damage resistance that can rescue two characters if need be. For this Combat Medic appearance, I envision a brawnier-looking 2-1B. Then I remembered this 2-1B concept art used for the MD-series droids:

I imagine that elastic air-balloons of some kind can pop out of its arms and rapidly inflate as cushions for injured bodies so pointy metal stuff is not aggravating wounds. I love the upper body appearance of this droid but the skirt has got to go. Does anyone have any suggestions for some droid art I could use to photoshop the lower body onto this droid. To match the upper body it can't be from skinny-bodied droids. And although this concept art looks like a version of 2-1B designed for a human actor to wear like Threepio, I don't want to use the commonly used Threepio-style lower body because Threepio can't run well and I don't want the droid to appear slow or frail.

Help?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

Naaman wrote:
2. A portable/foldable litter for moving patients that are not ambulatory.

I thought about this as well and decided against it. I supplemented this with lifting since I envisioned the droid either dragging or carrying the wounded person over a shoulder. Also a litter really requires at least two people. Yes I know, your going to say that one person can drag a littler. And I will counter that on the battlefield that would not be very effective. So we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Though I would not be against it being a part of the built-in tools and that two the droids could effectively carry a wounded soldier on their combined litter.

Naaman wrote:
3. A high lifting skill for the purpose of evacuating patients. 6D (maybe even more) seems appropriate to me. Sometimes, a patient must be carried or dragged to safety, and putting him on the aforementioned litter may take longer than is practical depending on circumstances.

shootingwomprats wrote:

I could see raising the Lifting to 6D. I envisioned the droid running across a battlefield, moving from cover to cover, finding the wounded solider, rendering aid, tossing him over his shoulder and again moving from cover to cover to the friendly lines.

There are a lot of variations on a casualty-drag sled. They can be operated by one person, preferably a strong one, over all kinds of rough terrain because the material is made of very low-friction stuff.

Put a repulsor system on it and you are golden, albeit probably a bit more cost than the Empire would care to put into casualty evac.

But of course there's no reason that it would have to be incorporated into the droid rather than just have something like that as an additional piece of kit.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... what if the skirt was scaled back to a cape fastened at the hips... that could be turned into a stretcher or drag sled? Stiffen the sides, and it's either a drag sled, or, with aid, a stretcher?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm suddenly picturing a crossover of the Baymax inflatable medical robot from Big Hero Six.

Didn't shootingwomprats do stats for that a while back?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake: it was Leon the Lion.

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For utility you probably want either legs or repulsorlift. The legs on the LE Repair Droid (Cynabar's) might fit well. The repulsorlift from the ZQ Infantry Droid looks good too.

How about this:

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The repulsorlift droid doesn't seem as feasible for a strong droid that will lift unconscious wounded from the battlefield and carry them somewhere. So a "feet on the ground" droid seems more plausible for that to me.

Pel wrote:
For utility you probably want either legs or repulsorlift. The legs on the LE Repair Droid (Cynabar's) might fit well. The repulsorlift from the ZQ Infantry Droid looks good too.

How about this:

Thanks, Pel! I poured over all the droid images I could find and must have skipped over the LE image for consideration, but seeing it here makes me think differently. I might play with it a bit but this is a good start when I was just stymied. Thank you very much!!!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On pg. 55 of Cynabar's Fantastic Droids, there is a Medevac Droid specifically designed to recover casualties from a battlefield and transport them to a field hospital or aid station. That might pair well with a basic medical droid.

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a Droideka-looking droid with a built-in stretcher, made for some online Star Wars campaign.

https://pm1.narvii.com/6285/5458aa32306b9bfe95a9b49c4c7c35f98f742c29_hq.jpg
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a patient on board how does that thing not tip over? Neat concept, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: