The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Happy Halloween
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Happy Halloween
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Happy Halloween Reply with quote

Did or is anyone here dressing up in Star Wars themes costumes for work, a Halloween party of taking kids out trick-or-treating? Anyone have any kids doing Star Wars costumes?

I am getting ready to take my son trick or treating. The last three years he was a clone commander of some kind but this year he finally decided to do something non-Star-Wars: Iron Man (Mark 50, he says). You can see he is still going with the armored character theme. Smile
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: #tbt Reply with quote

From left to right, that is me, my little brother, and my son. What's funny is that when my son choose to be Vader that year, he didn't know that I had been "Vader" when I was a kid. That was his second Star Wars costume - His first was Yoda when he was little.

They probably didn't have Star Wars Halloween costumes in 77. I don't know if they had them in 78 - I was Gene Simmons from KISS that year. But here in 79, over two years after Star Wars came out, they had Star Wars costumes, while TESB was in post-production. I'm guessing they probably also had Luke, Han, Leia, and Threepio.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill, I wore the same Vader costume! Still have it in storage, although I haven't tried it on in nearly 40 years. Laughing

We had fewer trick-or-treaters due to all the rain, but for those who braved the weather, I met them at the door with this:

The kids loved it, but oddly I was asked to pose for more photos with adults. The best was when a young boy dressed as a Stormtrooper arrived. I popped to attention, saluted him (he saluted back), and doled out extra candy 'For the good of the Empire'. Very Happy
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, while I was at the Supermarket, I saw a family in full costume. The two preteen kids were just wearing bog standard Halloween costumes (a witch and a skeleton), but the wife was wearing Princess Leia's Hoth officer costume and the husband was wearing Han Solo's Cloud City costume, yellow Bloodstripes and all. When I complimented him on his costume, he lamented the fact that he didn't have his blaster or his Wookiee with him.

I gave him an A for effort anyway. 8)
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter went as Rey, this year. We had gotten her a couple of different costumes, but that one ended up not upsetting her the most. We went to the local mall for trick or treating, as well as a Halloween carnival, but she lost interest there.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
the wife was wearing Princess Leia's Hoth officer costume and the husband was wearing Han Solo's Cloud City costume, yellow Bloodstripes and all. When I complimented him on his costume, he lamented the fact that he didn't have his blaster or his Wookiee with him.

I gave him an A for effort anyway. 8)

Nice.

Raven Redstar wrote:
My daughter went as Rey, this year. We had gotten her a couple of different costumes, but that one ended up not upsetting her the most. We went to the local mall for trick or treating, as well as a Halloween carnival, but she lost interest there.

I bet she was an adorable Rey.

Last night, we went trick-or-treating with the same group as last year. Josh's best friend was Commander Cody (for the third year in a row). His little sister (who was ANH Leia last year) was Rey this year. And another friend of my son's (who was an awesome DIY Chirrut Îmwe last year) was ANH Luke, but he also had an air-filled taun-taun he wore with it that was awesome, but it ended up slowing him down to much so he shed the taun-taun.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bradwardine
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: When I did indulge in trick-or-treating, I went thus: Reply with quote

In either the nineties, or the early two thousands, I chose to dress as a Rebel trooper, as seen at the very beginning of Star Wars. I donned a turtle-neck shirt and a quilted navy blue sleeveless vest. For the distinctive helmet, I cut up some cardboard into certain triangular shapes, and attached it with packaging tape to the outside of a chin-strapped plastic army helmet. I wielded a light purple water pistol shaped like a Browning Hi-Power for my trooper's blaster pistol. My younger brother put on an assortment of white clothing and carried a large laser tag rifle, to go as a stormtrooper. I, being all of twelve or so, took him and a younger sister or two up and down our street. It was a different and quieter time.

Oddly enough, I did not see a single soul when I walked to church last night.
"Fear God and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." (Ecclesiastes 12:13b)
"God . . . now commandeth all men everywhere to repent." (Acts 17:30b)
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: When I did indulge in trick-or-treating, I went thus: Reply with quote

Bradwardine wrote:
In either the nineties, or the early two thousands, I chose to dress as a Rebel trooper, as seen at the very beginning of Star Wars. I donned a turtle-neck shirt and a quilted navy blue sleeveless vest. For the distinctive helmet, I cut up some cardboard into certain triangular shapes, and attached it with packaging tape to the outside of a chin-strapped plastic army helmet. I wielded a light purple water pistol shaped like a Browning Hi-Power for my trooper's blaster pistol. My younger brother put on an assortment of white clothing and carried a large laser tag rifle, to go as a stormtrooper. I, being all of twelve or so, took him and a younger sister or two up and down our street. It was a different and quieter time.

Childhood DIY SW costumes. I love it.

Bradwardine wrote:

Well trick-or-treating could be a different night in your community. It is different nights in different places. Or it could be that it has declined in popularity there, like in central Ohio and other places.

When I was a kid, Halloween was a huge deal in my neighborhood and everyone was involved in the tradition, willingly or not. We knocked on every single door, light on or not. "Trick or treat" was an actual threat and we remembered the homes who didn't have candy or didn't answer the door, but they were very few. From what I recall, it was mostly single men with no kids who worked second shift so no one was home to pass out candy. My friends and I always went back and pranked them somehow if we didn't get candy. Granted what was passed out back then could be very small, like a single piece of gum even, but we got something from almost everyone. I don't remember any limitations in time. It started at dark and went on until we completed the entire neighborhood (eventually including two new adjacent neighborhoods that were built there).

As an adult I have always been happy to pass out candy, multiple good candies for each kid. But after having my own kid and going out trick-or-treating again, I learned that so many people don't participate. It has become tradition to leave the light on if you are participating and turn it off if not, but some of the people who don't participate also don't bother turning off their light so kids just knock and no one answers. In our own neighborhood there are more homes that don't participate than ones who do. I do live in an ethnically diverse neighborhood so some of these people have never heard of Halloween before moving here and probably think it is very strange. In our friends' neighborhood, there are probably at least 50% of homes that do participate, but the homes are larger and farther apart. Now we just leave our light on at home with a bucket on the porch full of candy, and of course it is empty when get home.

My church doesn't have service on Wednesday nights but we are having a Harry Potter themed party tomorrow night.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: When I did indulge in trick-or-treating, I went thus: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Bradwardine wrote:

Well trick-or-treating could be a different night in your community. It is different nights in different places. Or it could be that it has declined in popularity there, like in central Ohio and other places.

We literally had somewhere between 200-300 kids. It was awesome.

We also handed out cups of hot cider to the grown ups. Other houses in our neighborhood give out popcorn or beer to grown ups.

It's still going strong in my neighborhood.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: