The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fuel-Air Bomb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Fuel-Air Bomb
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Fuel-Air Bomb Reply with quote

FUEL-AIR BOMB
These bombs are simple explosive devices made irom cylinders of compressed volatile gas, most commonly used for welding, heating buildings, and powering vehicles or generators. They tend to be extremely destructive thanks to the potential energy held in gas and the pressure under which the gas is kept. The cylinders often add a cloud of dangerous shrapnel to the already-destructive blast. A large-enough blast from one or a series of fuel-air bombs can level a building or destroy a starship. The downside is that, thanks to the volatility of the gasses, these devices are touchy; a careless bomb maker can easily make a fatal mistake while working with them.

FUEL-AIR BOMB
Type: Fuel explosive
Scale: Character
Skill: Demolitions
Cost: 150
Availability: 2, R
Blast Range: 0-15/30/60
Damage: 14D/7D/3D
Effects: A fuel-air bomb's concussive value increases by one for every additional charge. If skill check to set the bomb is 9- it immediately detonates, dealing its total damage to everything in its current blast radius.

Source: Fully Operation (p.42), stats by Oliver Queen

I know, this thing does a ton of damage for cheap and with easily found items, but that is the point. Its an improvised explosive. From the description one or more in tandem could level a building and even destroy a starship.

For comparisons I used an AT-AT and an X-wing. The explosions would be big enough to engulf an AT-AT, which is ~20m long. I made the damage character scale because when it blows, everyone gets hit, characters, vehicles, etc.

The damage against inanimate objects and vehicles drops off rapidly after the initial blast radius, but is likely to take out most mooks up to the max blast radius.

I wonder if maybe I should add in a fourth blast radius, 0-10/20/40/60 14D/10D/5D/2D+2?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly question that I'm probably going to be kicking myself later for even asking, but: Can fuel-air bombs even function in a vacuum?

I just find it interesting that the description says these fuel-air bombs can "destroy a starship" when said starships are usually found in space. Then again, using powerful explosive devices against starships parked on the ground is a tried and true tactic.

And to answer your question, yes, I made this post so I could post a Babylon 5 video clip to a Star Wars forum thread. Again. 8)

That said, the question still stands: are these weapons usable in an atmosphere only?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As written, no, unless the jury-rigger used two tanks (one with fuel, the other with oxygen).

However, it's possible that a fuel-air bomb could be made to function in a vacuum by including both the air and the fuel within the bomb. Renegade Legion had something like this, where an oxidizer was added to the warhead alongside the fuel, with computer controlled dispersion rates to maximize explosive power.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS someone who's always loved seeing Daisy cutters in films (which is what a FAE is), i LOVE this write up.
And i do agree, a 4th blast zone should be included.

BUT I'd change the damage to 14d/11d/6d/2d.. So it drops off less in the 2nd blast zone, but MORE for the 3rd and 4th ones.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
AS someone who's always loved seeing Daisy cutters in films (which is what a FAE is), i LOVE this write up.

Finally, something you like of mine!

And i do agree, a 4th blast zone should be included.

garhkal wrote:
BUT I'd change the damage to 14d/11d/6d/2d.. So it drops off less in the 2nd blast zone, but MORE for the 3rd and 4th ones.

shootingwomprats wrote:
I wonder if maybe I should add in a fourth blast radius, 0-10/20/40/60 14D/10D/5D/2D+2?

This is almost identical to what I suggested in the original post. 14D/10D/5D/2D+2 is darned close to 14D/11D/6D/2D. Are you stealing my ideas and posting them as yours? LOL

Seriously though I am thinking of redoing the blast ranges to better represent a lot of damage at the center with a rapid fall off, but a large shocked area.

0-10/15/30/60 14D/10D/5D/2D+2?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fall off imo should come past the 2nd blast zone..

I'd also put in a note that "after the bomb's detonated', due to the LACK of oxygen in the zone for half a minute, anyone surviving, needs a stamina check due being unable to breath. Heroic for the 1st round, very difficult for the 2nd, difficult for the 3rd, moderate for the 4th, and easy for the last.
Failing one of them, indicates passing out. Failing a 2nd gives a wound, failing a third, pushes it to mortal wound.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
As written, no, unless the jury-rigger used two tanks (one with fuel, the other with oxygen).

However, it's possible that a fuel-air bomb could be made to function in a vacuum by including both the air and the fuel within the bomb. Renegade Legion had something like this, where an oxidizer was added to the warhead alongside the fuel, with computer controlled dispersion rates to maximize explosive power.

The oxygen tank would have to be massive because you need to add enough "air" to the region to at least briefly have an atmosphere. You're better off setting the FAE inside the ship, distributing the fuel through the ventilation system and then detonating their entire atmosphere at once.

And Sutehp, LOVE the B5 vid. That moment is one my favorites. In a show of solidarity, I present The John Sheridan playbook:
  1. Jumpgate shenanigans.
  2. Nuke 'em if you got 'em.
  3. Ramming Speed

Very Happy
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
The oxygen tank would have to be massive because you need to add enough "air" to the region to at least briefly have an atmosphere. You're better off setting the FAE inside the ship, distributing the fuel through the ventilation system and then detonating their entire atmosphere at once.

<shrug> Just substitute an oxidizer of some kind; it doesn't have to be specific. The idea in the game was primarily a tech hand-wave to allow the warhead to be used in whatever sort of environment the unit found itself in.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
And Sutehp, LOVE the B5 vid. That moment is one my favorites. In a show of solidarity, I present The John Sheridan playbook:
  1. Jumpgate shenanigans.
  2. Nuke 'em if you got 'em.
  3. Ramming Speed

Very Happy

Don't forget getting that Shadow ship to kill itself in Jupiter's atmosphere. That's gotta be somewhere in The John Sheridan playbook too.

Hell, it's not for nothing that John "Starkiller" Sheridan is also known among the B5 fandom as John "Nuke 'em" Sheridan. Hell, he used nukes as battlefield weapons at least THREE times in his career: 1) against the Black Star during the Earth-Minbari War; 2) using the White Star to nuke-divebomb the Shadows' capital city at the end of Season 3 (making him the Starkiller twice over!); and 3) at the Battle of Coriana 6 against both the Shadows and the Vorlons, resulting in this little exchange:

Quote:
Capt. John Sheridan: Morning, gentlemen. This is your wake up call.

[detonates a couple of nukes, destroying several Vorlon and Shadow vessels]

Lyta Alexander: Captain?

Capt. John Sheridan: Hmmm?

Lyta Alexander: They're pissed.

Seriously, you don't want to get between John Sheridan and a nuke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: