The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Revamped Astrogation Computer [French]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Revamped Astrogation Computer [French] Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amaranthe
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Revamped Astrogation Computer [French] Reply with quote

Hi there.

As i was not fully satisfied with the d6holocron Astrogation Computer; i devised mine.
I corrected many of the bugs of the original, added some planets and routes...
And...
Here it is !
http://kheysameatus.free.fr/random/Dijkstra.php

I'm still working on it...
So if you want something... or if you experienc a bug or... anything... feel free to ask !
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Revamped Astrogation Computer Reply with quote

Amaranthe wrote:
Hi there.

As i was not fully satisfied with the d6holocron Astrogation Computer; i devised mine.
I corrected many of the bugs of the original, added some planets and routes...
And...
Here it is !
http://kheysameatus.free.fr/random/Dijkstra.php

I'm still working on it...
So if you want something... or if you experienc a bug or... anything... feel free to ask !

Thanks for sharing!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated. (man this site needs a thumbs up emoti)..
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive! One question: Does the astrogation computer list multiple routes or are all of the hops listed for the single quickest route?
Amaranthe
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Very impressive! One question: Does the astrogation computer list multiple routes or are all of the hops listed for the single quickest route?

Only the best ie the quickest.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see a system that included the systems traveled through on the way there. There's any number of reasons why characters might want to make a stop along the way.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'd love to see a system that included the systems traveled through on the way there. There's any number of reasons why characters might want to make a stop along the way.

I think that is what this is. I tried Tatooine to Corellia and it produced a list of systems with the times to each one that add up to a total time. Unfortunately my barebones French is little rusty and Chrome is not offering to translate the page like it should be, but that is what it appears to be.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried what you suggested, and all I get is a string of zero-hour results...

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatooine to Corellia worked fine for me.

Thank you for the clarification, Amaranthe. This program is amazing!

Ok, one last question, and this is maybe for the group: The computer lists multiple hyperspace routes in one trip, e.g. Corellian Trade Spine & Ison Corridor. Do you have to drop out of hyperspace and jump again when changing hyperspace lanes or is it just one long jump?

I've almost always treated hyperspace jumps as one continuous trip in the past, but I didn't have this wealth of information before. Opinions?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it seems if you put in a normal hyperdrive multiplier (i.e. "x2") you get an "all zeros" result. Entering just the numerical part of the modifier ("2") gets you a normal travel time.

I am somewhat curious as to the accuracy of the numbers, though. I put in Tatooine to Alderaan and got 8 days and 14 hours, across five different major hyperspace routes. Is the intent here to throw out the WEG numbers (where Tatooine to Alderaan was less than half a day at x1), or is this in error?

I did also try Corellia to Alderaan, as it would make sense for two planets within the Core Systems to have relatively short travel times along well-traveled route, but I got a similar result (91 hours across three different trade routes).

Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Okay, it seems if you put in a normal hyperdrive multiplier (i.e. "x2") you get an "all zeros" result. Entering just the numerical part of the modifier ("2") gets you a normal travel time.

I am somewhat curious as to the accuracy of the numbers, though. I put in Tatooine to Alderaan and got 8 days and 14 hours, across five different major hyperspace routes. Is the intent here to throw out the WEG numbers (where Tatooine to Alderaan was less than half a day at x1), or is this in error?

I did also try Corellia to Alderaan, as it would make sense for two planets within the Core Systems to have relatively short travel times along well-traveled route, but I got a similar result (91 hours across three different trade routes).

Game and non-game hyperspace travel times aren't canon. Star Wars has always had a 'speed of the plot' basis for travel times. So "accuracy" is more appropriately discussed as how true is it to WEG, to EU novels, to films, etc.

I think it is obvious he is not trying to be true to WEG, but WEG never really made any sense. (The film travel times don't really make much sense either.) I think he is trying to make something that makes more sense to some internal logic, previous published travel times be damned. Which is fine for him or anyone that wants to use it.

I don't run completely open sandbox style campaigns where players just show up for the game session and then tell the GM which planets they are going to (which IMO is still artificial because the choices are more often than not choices made out of metaknowledge). I've had more local sandboxes (these two sectors) sometimes contriving a reason they can't leave the sandbox too often (More than once, I've used the 'debt to a crime lord that wants them to stay within his field of operation' bit). When they do venture out of the sandbox (a job just too good to pass up), I make travel times not being important to the story, like the adventure beginning when they come out of hyperspace in the new system. Even if travelling in the adventure itself, I often use the cut-scene method of 'after some time, you are now there'. I'll even ask if there is anything they want to do during hyperspace such as prepare something, but then just move on with the story.

So something like this, while neat, just probably wouldn't be useful to me. I can definitely see the appeal to other GMs.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but there was always a feel in ANH that the jump from Tatooine to Alderaan didn't take all that long. The Essential Atlas explained it away by having Tatooine be relatively close to a major trade route that basically led straight to Alderaan, so I'd be curious to see exactly how the route in question lays out on a hyperspace route map.

Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
True, but there was always a feel in ANH that the jump from Tatooine to Alderaan didn't take all that long. The Essential Atlas explained it away by having Tatooine be relatively close to a major trade route that basically led straight to Alderaan, so I'd be curious to see exactly how the route in question lays out on a hyperspace route map.

The routes are on there too. You go through 2 systems to get to Triellus Trade Route, then Corellian Run, then Hydian Way, then Trellen Trade Route, then Commenor Run. You can get out your map to compare. According to this application it is 206 hours total, so no it is not true to the films or the game. It is a day and a half longer than the 1e astrogation gazetteer! Of course that may be ok for some fans' SWU. Not everyone's galaxy is true to the films.

And keep in mind that one reason the jump may not feel that long in ANH is that the Falcon is one of the fastest ships in the galaxy. WEG's hyperdrive multiplier could be grossly underestimating the Falcon's hyperdrive. According to WEG, the Falcon is only half the standard travel times but maybe it should be better, like one-fifth of the standard time.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Amaranthe
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I there and thanks for you'r enthousiasm.
I will try to answer your questions.

First i will work on the page to translate it in english.
As for the traver times, i picked them on the original d6holocron navigation computer.
As corrected some error that made me unable to use it (such as Arbra beeing 4h away from anywhere in the galaxy)
I added some systems...
And i added the system travelled in between...

Yes this is supposed to be one jump... but for this jump, you'r supposed to take the shortest route... and not a straight line between two systems.
So i figured it could be usefull to know the systems or event the route travelled.
The algorythm i used is the Dijkstra algorythm that give you the shortest path between two destination.

Regards.
Amaranthe.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the clarification!

No need to rework into English, the original French is fine. Through the magic of Google (those guys know everything) I learned the following:

Depart & Arrivee are Departing and Arriving (easy enough).
Vitesse is Speed and defaults to a x1 multiplier if you leave it blank.
Jours are Days.
Heures are Hours.

I could see a crafty GM using this wonderful tool to drop the players into new and unexpected systems. Well done, and thank you again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: