The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starfall advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Starfall advice Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chord wrote:
Thanks for all the advice! It went well, I used a phone stopwatch to keep them in character and moving along.

Great to hear it went well. Thanks for letting us know.

Chord wrote:
There was some grumbling about losing inventory from the bounty hunter but since this is only their third game they didn't have anything to lose.

Do you mean, losing the equipment and weapon items on his character sheet because they started out captured and all the items confiscated? Sad that some players get materialistic over fictional things owned by fictional characters. It's not like the Empire will throw you in a cell with all your stuff!

Chord wrote:
The players loved the script!

Good to hear this feedback. There are a few very vocal gamers who are vehemently opposed to adventure scripts. I have used them many times over the years. I've never had a player complain about one except for when I had a typo in one.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Do you mean, losing the equipment and weapon items on his character sheet because they started out captured and all the items confiscated? Sad that some players get materialistic over fictional things owned by fictional characters. It's not like the Empire will throw you in a cell with all your stuff!

I've seen quite a few players peeved at that, losing gear, often stuff they've invested time and money building up, when they get captured (or destroyed)..
Chord
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Yes! It's like "oh our stuff was not next door to our cell"
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very glad to hear it's working out!

As far as grousing about lost stuff, like you said, they're only 3 adventures in. Besides, they're running loose on a star destroyer with all sorts of opportunities to replace lost weapons and such.

Overall it sounds like everyone's having fun. Please keep us posted!
pun intended
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've seen quite a few players peeved at that, losing gear, often stuff they've invested time and money building up, when they get captured (or destroyed)..

It's a sticky situation if not handled properly. One of the first times I played SWd6 (still 1E), a GM dropped my Jedi character into a sewage tank, then arbitrarily declared I lost my lightsaber, that it sank to the bottom and was unrecoverable. No attempt at a Dex save to hang onto it or anything. The line between story telling and petty maliciousness can get pretty blurry when it comes to losing equipment.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, some times DM's can be heavihanded in causing it to get lost, but i was more on about the # of times they get captured, thrown in imperial jails, and then when they break out they expect all their gear just to be sitting there. Unprotected on a nearby table, or in a nearby room...
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad the adventure went well for your players!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It's a sticky situation if not handled properly. One of the first times I played SWd6 (still 1E), a GM dropped my Jedi character into a sewage tank, then arbitrarily declared I lost my lightsaber, that it sank to the bottom and was unrecoverable. No attempt at a Dex save to hang onto it or anything. The line between story telling and petty maliciousness can get pretty blurry when it comes to losing equipment.

I have two responses to that. #1 Just handwaving that an item is lost with no chance to recover it is just a d!ck move. Even if it somehow served the story at the time, it should have shown back up later just as miraculously as it was lost. #2 Yes, I warn my players don't get too attached to any character possessions, but PC starships, droids, and lightsabers are special considerations. I do not take these things lightly and would never just whoosh them away. And when players have rolled horribly I have fudged in favor of saving these things for PCs a few times over the years. It's one thing to say, "Your glowrod must have come loose back when you fell into that sewer," but a completely other thing to tell a Jedi player, "Oops, your lightsaber sunk into the muck and it is gone forever. Sorry."

Generally I don't let PCs start with lightsabers because I want their acquisition to be an important part of the narrative. I want them to feel earned. And once it has been earned, it's special. You can't just take it away like it was nothing. Droid companions can be important supporting characters, and I treat PC starships as important characters. But blasters and everything else are easily replaceable. Another item that's not specific but special to a certain degree are medpacs. I always suggest at least one PC carries at least one medpac, and if at all possible I try to make sure one is handy if they really need it to save a PC's life.

garhkal wrote:

Well that depends on what type of campaign it is. I run games where PCs are members of the Rebel Alliance which provides the room and board. In most cases they also provide the equipment you need for your missions, so that equipment doesn't really belong to the PCs. PCs don't need money except for buying things as a part of their missions. If the PCs score some loot on Rebel missions, they may take possession of some of it it but it is technically owned by the Alliance.

I also run smuggler campaigns where the PCs are making their own living, but I don't nickel and dime them with everyday living expenses. It is assumed that they are working "offscreen" in between adventures and make money for the mundane stuff. Then the adventures are the money made for ship modifications, buying expensive equipment and weapons, and loan shark payments. Even owning money to a crime lord is not for accounting purposes - It's there for more narrative and adventure purposes. The smuggler campaigns usually turn into Rebel ones. The smugglers first become private contractors doing jobs for the Alliance but eventually get pulled into to fully joining the cause where they don't take payment except for mission expenses.

Rebels to smugglers, I am also of the mind that if it is reasonable for a certain piece of equipment to be back on the ship, it could possibly be there - poof - without anyone ever buying it or recording it in any inventory. I just simply don't run games where a focus on individual PC equipment acquisition and possession of things is important. If the PCs get captured and their stuff gets taken away, there is an exciting break-out coming and it was for the sake of the story. Telling a good story and having a fun adventure should always be more important than stuff on a character sheet.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's similar to how I run mine: don't deprive the players of a rare or beloved asset without a really good reason. Also, minor accounting isn't Star Wars, so we skip it.

I hope everything's going smoothly with the Starfall adventure. Have they reached the hangar bay yet? The AT-ST fight was always fun.
Chord
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
That's similar to how I run mine: don't deprive the players of a rare or beloved asset without a really good reason. Also, minor accounting isn't Star Wars, so we skip it.

I hope everything's going smoothly with the Starfall adventure. Have they reached the hangar bay yet? The AT-ST fight was always fun.

Not yet, we stopped for the evening right before entering the power core.

I'm undecided on using the cutouts or not. I asked the players and they didnt have an opinion
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I have two responses to that. #1 Just handwaving that an item is lost with no chance to recover it is just a d!ck move. Even if it somehow served the story at the time, it should have shown back up later just as miraculously as it was lost.

Agreed. "your XYZ just fell into the incinerator, just as the door was shutting" = MAJOR dick move.
However "your XYZ just got destroyed from a well placed shot from enemy ABC. Just be thankful it was there, otherwise the blow may have cleaved you in two" = Not a dick move...

Whill wrote:
Generally I don't let PCs start with lightsabers because I want their acquisition to be an important part of the narrative. I want them to feel earned. And once it has been earned, it's special. You can't just take it away like it was nothing.

Well said. So far in game, i think i've only ever seen 3 lightsabers that were gone. One was in game, the PC's irked off some crime boss, who had the LS stolen from the Jedi character, when he got knocked out in a fight. The other 2 were destroyed IN a battle with a dark jedi.

Whill wrote:
Well that depends on what type of campaign it is. I run games where PCs are members of the Rebel Alliance which provides the room and board. In most cases they also provide the equipment you need for your missions, so that equipment doesn't really belong to the PCs. PCs don't need money except for buying things as a part of their missions. If the PCs score some loot on Rebel missions, they may take possession of some of it it but it is technically owned by the Alliance.

Even being in the rebellion, there's gear that's YOURS and gear that's "issued".. much like in the military.
So some of that gear you will be keeping time and time again, so could easily be doing upgrades/modifications to, to make better..

Chord wrote:

I'm undecided on using the cutouts or not. I asked the players and they didnt have an opinion

If they are 'ambivalent' on it one way or the other, then its on you. DO YOU think it will make the game a better experience to use them or not?
Chord
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We finished starfall today and it was a lot of fun! The PC's ended up opening the doors in the hangar bay battle sucking out the storm troopers and almost themselves!

A lot of fun. Was thinking of following up with Crisis on Cloud City and Lira and her dad right?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chord wrote:
We finished starfall today and it was a lot of fun! The PC's ended up opening the doors in the hangar bay battle sucking out the storm troopers and almost themselves!

You get to do the same thing as Kyle Katarn in Jedi Outcast. It's so hilarious to see an entire platoon of stormtroopers get spaced while you're safe in a different room.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chord wrote:

A lot of fun. Was thinking of following up with Crisis on Cloud City and Lira and her dad right?

Correct! The Blissex and Wessex re-appear in this adventure.

Glad you had fun. I particularly like their spacing solution. Better than slugging it out with the AT-STs.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad the gang had fun.. And yes, Crisis is a good next module..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: